CHAPTER II

Rōnin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It could have been their third or fourth day of the journey, when the two men waded through the high grass and stray fields, heading north. On the horizon, one could see the roofs of cottages raised in a place where gentlemen decided to stay for a stop. Seok walked a few yards behind his Master because all the time something was stealing his attention and the boy simply lagged behind, sometimes even losing Jongdae. He just couldn't help it. He was fascinated by the newly explored world, places, nature, and people he'd never seen before. He was staring at the sky, which crossed two cranes and inadvertently crashes into the back of his Master, thus falling on the grass.

 

- Look ahead of you, boy, and watch your steps, because if I have to look for you again, you'll stay in the middle of the forest. - The elder chided him, and Minseok humbly bowed his head, apologizing for his distraction.

 

- Master, forgive me for asking, but when will you teach me fighting? - Minseok, who was now walking right next to the man, looked at him with excitement.

 

- You have to learn a lot to wield the sword. Just holding the blade won't make you a samurai. Mind and knowledge must go hand in hand because, at the moment when you face a blade to someone, you are responsible for what you do. It's you who give judgment, spare life or take it away. You can't do it, just because you have the katana. - Jongdae sternly looked at him, depriving Minseok of his earlier enthusiasm.

 

- So how do I get this knowledge if you aren't willing to share it with me? - The boy mumbled to yourself, not knowing that he was heard.

 

- Minseok. - Jongdae stopped in place.

 

- Forgive me, Master. You know that I don't think what I'm saying. - Seok got scared by the older man's behavior, and the thought that he wouldn't want to continue traveling, with him frozen him in place.

 

- Be a man. If you're already saying something, don't be afraid of the consequences of your thoughts. - Jongdae instructed him. Then he pulled his cloth bag and drew out a small but quite thick volume of the book. He tossed it in his hands and handed it to Minseok, who stared at it with interest. - This is the bushido code. First, acquire his knowledge, and only after that, I'll learn you how to wield a weapon. - the older smiled maliciously because he thought that like most peasants, Minseok wouldn't be able to read. That'd give him much more time and freedom because h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter