Goodbye

If Time Machines Existed

 

“Mom,” Taehyung calls. “Dad! I’m home!” He looks around the house, but his parents are not around. Taehyung walks over to the back door and sees his parents sitting on the porch. “You guys were here,” Taehyung says. He hears his mom crying.

“There’s nothing we can do now,” his dad says. “He’s gone, and we have to accept that.” His dad starts to cry as well. “That kid. He was looking forward to your birthday. He told me to buy pork belly home, so we can have it, but now he’s gone. We still have it in the fridge. Every time I look at it, I’ll think about him.” His dad breaks down.

“Oh yeah,” Taehyung tells himself. “Mom’s birthday was on friday. Dad bought pork belly for all of us to have on friday.” Taehyung goes sit next to his mom. “Mom,” Taehyung says. He goes in for a hug, but he goes right through her. Taehyung frowns. “Mom,” Taehyung calls. “Can you hear me?” He starts feeling sad. “Mom,” Taehyung’s voice cracks. “Mom, I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for your birthday. Happy birthday, mom. You know you’re the best mother I could ever ask for.” A tear escapes his eyes.

“It’s getting late,” his dad says. “We’ve had a long day. Let’s go to bed.”

His parents go to bed leaving him alone.

Taehyung wipes his tears away and follows his parents to the house.

His parents enter the room and closes the door. Taehyung goes into his room and sits on his bed. That night, Taehyung doesn’t sleep at all. He sits in bed and waits for the sun to come out. However, before the sun comes out, he hears his parents room door open. Taehyung walks out and sees that his dad is up.

His dad walks over to the kitchen.

Taehyung follows his dad to the kitchen.

His dad opens the fridge and stares at the pork belly.

Taehyung can see his dad starting to break down.

“Dad,” Taehyung calls.

His dad doesn’t say anything. He just cries. Then, his dad closes the fridge door and heads to Taehyung’s room.

Taehyung follows. He watches as his dad walks over to his desk. His dad picks up Taehyung’s phone and sighs. Taehyung stands next to his dad. He sees his dad looking at the phone crying.

“Mom! Dad,” Taehyung called.

He ran into the house and plopped down on the couch where his parents were sitting.

“I saw a cellphone at the store, and I really want it,” Taehyung said. “Will you buy it for me?”

His parents looked at each other unsure.

“Please,” Taehyung pleaded. “Everyone at school has a phone but me. Plus, you can call me whenever you want. If you have any emergencies, call me, and I’ll come home immediately.”

“Okay,” his dad said. “We’ll buy you one, but promise us you won’t ignore our calls.”

“I gave you my word,” Taehyung cooed. “I promise. Thank you, mom and dad!”

“You bought me that phone back in middle school,” Taehyung says. “I was so happy.”

His dad puts the phone down and walks to the bed. He picks up the brown bear that is lying on the bed.

“You bought that for me when I was a child,” Taehyung says. He’s getting emotional. “That’s my favorite stuffed animal. I still sleep with it.” A tear escapes his eyes.

His dad is quietly crying while gripping tightly on the teddy bear. He sets the bear down and walks to the closet.

Taehyung follows him.

His dad opens the closet and rummages through his clothes before he pulls out a box. He opens the box revealing the red Jordans that Taehyung had wanted.

“Dad,” Taehyung cries. He reaches his arm out to his dad, but he goes right through him. Taehyung cries some more. “Dad.”

His dad cries even harder.

“Dad,” Taehyung breaks down. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I made you sad. I am a horrible son. I promise I won’t do it again. I’ll be good.”

His parents bedroom door opens.

“Are you up already,” Taehyung hears his mom say. She walks into the room and sees Taehyung’s dad crying as he holds the Jordan’s box in his hands.

She starts getting teary as well. She walks over to his dad and hugs him. “It’s hard,” his mom cries. “Everything in this house reminds me of him, but we must move on right? He will always be in our memories.”

Taehyung feels his heart clench. He’s angry and sad. Tears and more tears are flowing down from his eyes.

“Mom. Dad,” Taehyung cries aloud. “I’m right here. Your son is right here.” But they can’t see him. That makes him frustrated which makes him cry even harder.

Later that day, Taehyung is outside roaming around the city. So many thoughts are on his mind. His parents did really care about him. Why did he have to die so early? If he would’ve known when he was alive, he would’ve treated his parents better. He was a terrible son.

Taehyung looks around, and sees his friends walking. He remembered what they said yesterday and followed them.

“How are we feeling today,” Nam Joon asks.

“Down,” Hoseok responds. “Yesterday felt like a dream.”

“It really does feel like a dream,” Jungkook adds. “I still can’t believe Taehyung is no longer with us.”

“So what should we do today,” Jin asks. “To raise our spirits up today?”

“We could go eat,” Jimin says.

“What,” Hoseok asks.

“Pork belly,” Jimin replies.

“Pork belly,” Nam Joon asks. He starts to get teary. “That was Taehyung’s favorite.”

Everyone grows silent.

“Guys,” Taehyung says. “It’s okay. Go and have fun. Don’t be so down because of me. Go have fun.”

But no matter how much he tries to cheer them up, they can’t hear him.

“Guys,” Taehyung repeats.

“Let’s just go to the computer room,” Jin suggests.

“Sure,” they agree.

Taehyung stops walking with them.

“I’m sorry, guys,” Taehyung says. “I didn’t mean to make you guys so down,” his voice cracks. “I’m sorry I left,” Taehyung cries aloud. “If I could turn back time,” he cries loudly. “I would,” he whispers.

Taehyung heads home. His eyes red from crying. Taehyung heads straight to his room and sits on his bed  His still sniffling and calming himself down.

Suddenly, he hears a chair moving across the floor.

Taehyung exits the room and heads to the kitchen to see his mom standing on a chair reaching for a paper towel.

“Mom,” Taehyung says. “I’ll get it.” He walks over to his mom and reaches up to grab the paper towel, but his hand goes right through it.

His mom grabs the paper towel and carefully climbs down the chair.

Taehyung’s heart breaks. He just wants to help his mom, but he can’t even do so.

His mom works around the house, and he watches. When he sees his mom moving something heavy, he wants to help, but he can’t. When his dad comes home from work, he can tell how tired his dad is. Taehyung wants to go talk to his dad and ask him how his day was, but he can’t. The things he wants do with his parents are no longer valid.

That night, Taehyung sits on his bed and cries. He regrets not treating his parents well enough when he was alive. Now that he’s gone, he can never repay them for what they’ve done for him.

“It is time,” the female voice says. “You must come back.”

Taehyung wipes his eyes, and he is back at the white colored room. He is sniffling and wiping his tears away.

“You were right,” Taehyung sniffles. “My parents love and care about me a lot. I regret even saying what I said.”

“Now you wish this would’ve never happened right,” the voice asks.

Taehyung nods his head. “Is there a way to turn back time,” Taehyung asks.

“Of course not. We all wish we could turn back the clock, but we can never.”

“Is there no way I can go back?”

“I’m sorry. Your time is up. You have to go now.”

“Will you let me see my parents for one last time?”

The light shines down before Taehyung’s eyes again. A screen comes on showing him his parents. His mom is at home cleaning the house like always. Along with that, she is preparing dinner for his dad. On the other hand, his dad is at work. His dad looks tired, but he keeps working.

Taehyung can’t help but cry. “No matter how much I say I’m sorry or how much I love them, they can’t hear me. I’ve told them so many times. I’ve hugged them so many times, but my actions and words. They can’t feel or hear them anymore.”

The screen takes him to his room. His dad is staring at Taehyung’s belongings reminiscing the memories he had with his son. He can’t help but have tears in his eyes.

“Dad,” Taehyung cries. “I’m sorry. I love you.”

His mom walks in. She places her hand on his shoulder. Taehyung’s dad turns his head to his mom before they hug each other.

“Mom,” Taehyung cries. “Dad. You two are the best parents I could ever ask for.”

“Your time is drawing to its end,” the voice says.

“I love you two. Goodbye,” Taehyung cries.

The light disappears, and the room turns dark. A door opens, and a bright white light beams into the room.

Taehyung slowly walk towards the light each of his steps echoing. He enters the door and disappears into the air.