The Start

If Time Machines Existed

Spring is around the corner. The air is still chilly, but everyone is only wearing their sweaters or a thin jacket. The snow on the ground is melting away. There are puddles of water, and the dirt is very muddy. The trees are still bare with no leaves.

Today is a weekday. Everyone is working, and students are in school.

The school bell rings, and the students rush out of the school to enjoy the weather.

“Finally,” Hoseok says. “It’s friday! We have the weekend off! What should we do?” He’s standing with his group of friends. They are wearing their black leather jackets. All of them carrying their backpacks on their backs.

“Let’s go eat,” Nam Joon says. “The school lunch wasn't good today.”

“Alright,” Jin agrees. “Let's go!”

The friends go to a nearby restaurant and sit at a corner.

A middle aged woman walks over to them.

“Good evening, youngsters,” she greets them. “What can I get for you today?”

The friends order food and drinks. They eat and chat.

“Let's go to the store after this,” Jimin says. “I saw some new kicks, and I asked my mom if I could buy them, so she gave me some money! I'm so excited!”

“Sure,” Nam Joon says. “Let's go.”

“What kind of kicks are they,” Suga asks.

“Jordans,” Jimin replies. “The store has it in black, white, and red. I want the white ones.”

“Why the white ones,” Jungkook asks. “You'll just dirty them.”

“I want the white ones,” Jimin says. “Do you have a problem with that? It's not like you're going to buy them for me.”

“I'm just saying they're going to get dirty. After a few weeks, they'll turn brown.”

“I’ll wash them.”

“Enough with the shoes,” Taehyung says. “What did you guys get on the math test today.”

Everyone except Nam Joon groans.

“Don’t even mention about it,” Jungkook says.

“What are you talking,” Nam Joon asks. He is chewing the food in his mouth. “I got a 100%.”

“Well of course you would,” Jimin says. “You’re so smart that you don’t even have to study.”

“I studied my off, and still score a 70%,” Suga says.

“Better than me,” Taehyung says. “I got a 50%.”

They continue to talk and eat.

“What is this,” a man from across the room shouts. “I’ve been waiting here for twenty minutes for my food! First, you serve me the wrong food, make me wait another twenty minutes, and overcook my food? What kind of restaurant is this? It’s horrible! The service is terrible! The food is terrible! Can’t you do your job right?”

“I’m very sorry, sir,” the older woman says. “I’ll ask the cook to remake your food again, and this time, I’ll make sure he doesn’t overcook your meal. Because of the inconvenience, we won’t be billing you.”

“Why didn't you just get it right the first time? We wouldn't be doing this if you got it right the first time!”

“I'm very sorry.”

“Gosh! This is so annoying!”

“Hey,” Nam Joon says annoyed. He's glaring at the man.

The man turns his head to Nam Joon.

“She apologized and even said she'll remake the food for you, and you don't have to pay. Why don't you be grateful,” Nam Joon says.

“Who are you talking to,” the man asks annoyed. “Kid, just enjoy your meal and stop butting in on adult conversation.”

“Who are you calling a kid? You're the one who's acting like a kid. She apologized. Shouldn't you be the bigger one and accept the apology?”

“Gosh. This kid is making me angrier.” The man stands up and walks over to the friends.

The friends stand up and walk over to the man.

The man stops and chuckles. “What is this? You kids are going to gang up on me or what?”

“Why would we do that,” Nam Joon asks. “You’re not enough for all of us.”

“This kid. Did your parents not teach you any respect?”

“They taught me to help someone in need.”

The man chuckles. “You’re lucky I’m alone or you and your gang will be beat up.” He walks out of the restaurant.

The friends go back to their seats.

“Way to ruin the mood,” Suga mumbles.

“Just let it go,” Jin says. “We can’t let that rude man ruin our friday.”

“Yeah,” Jimin agrees. “We’re going shopping after this. Let’s quickly finish this and go.”

And so they do. Jimin purchases the shoes in white. Everyone else also purchases an item except for Jungkook and Taehyung.

“You’re not going to buy anything,” Jimin asks.

“I really want that sweater,” Jungkook says. “I have to go ask my parents for money first.”

“I also want to buy those Jordan shoe. I really like the red ones,” Taehyung says. “I’ll go ask for money from my parents as well.” Taehyung sighs. “This wouldn’t be happening if we had jobs.”

“Who will take in high schoolers,” Hoseok asks. “The only place that will take us are fast food restaurants.”

“Should we apply there,” Jin asks. “At least we’ll be getting money.”

“That sounds great,” Taehyung says. “Should we go get an application tomorrow?”

“Let’s go,” they exclaim.

The friends go hang out at Jin’s place until the sunsets.

“We should get going,” Taehyung says. “Before there’s no more public transportation.”

Everyone agrees, and they go their separate ways.

Taehyung enters the little house he and his parents live in. His parents are still up. They are watching tv together.

“Are you back,” his mother asks joyfully. “Did you eat yet?”

“I ate already,” Taehyung replies. He’s taking off his shoes.

“Where have you been,” his father asks in his hoarse voice. “It’s so late, and you’re only coming back now.”

“I was at my friends house,” Taehyung replies.

“Did you do your homework?”

“I don’t have homework.”

Taehyung walks over to his parents and sit on the second couch they have.

“Mom, dad, today, I went shopping with my friends, and I saw this pair of shoes. I really want it.”

“What kind of shoes are they,” his mother asks.

“Jordans. The red ones.”

“How much are they?”

“40.”

“How about your old shoes,” his father asks.

“They’re still good to wear,” Taehyung replies.

“Then why don’t you just keep wearing your old shoes until they rip? Why waste money on new shoes when your old ones are still in good shape?”

“Dad, everyone has a pair of Jordans even my friends have a pair of Jordans. I’m the only one left.”

“And what’s wrong with that? You’re not going to die if you don’t own a pair of new shoes right?”

“Dad, it’s just a pair of shoes. Why can’t I buy it?” Taehyung is getting annoyed.

“We need that money to pay for rent. If we don’t pay rent, we’re going to get evicted. A house is more important than a pair of new shoes.”

Taehyung rolls his eyes. “I never get anything I want,” Taehyung raises his voice a little. “I always have to set aside my desires.” He’s getting mad. “Why do I always have to set aside my desires? Can’t I have what I want for once?”

“What do you mean you always set your desires aside,” his father asks. “If you set your desires aside, would you be that big? Would you be wearing those clothes? Your pair of shoes you have right now wouldn’t be in your possession if you didn’t want them.”

“Whatever,” Taehyung says annoyed. “Whenever I want something and ask for it, we always end up in a fight. Forget it.” Taehyung storms into his room and closes the door shut. He throws his backpack on the ground and grabs his mp3 player. He sticks his headphones into the player and his ears and blast on music. Taehyung lies in bed and closes his eyes. He is still mad. He is steaming, but he can’t do anything about it except let his anger subside.