The Truth

If Time Machines Existed

 

Taehyung heaves a deep breath. His eyes close. When he opens his eyes again, he’s sitting down on a chair in a black room. A light is shining down at him. He looks around, but he can't see anything. Suddenly, a door in front of him opens, and a white light comes beaming out. He squints his eyes.

Once the door is fully open, Taehyung stands up and walks to it. He enters the doors into a white room. The door closes.

Taehyung looks around, but there is nothing in the room.

“Welcome. Please state your name.” a female voice says.

“Kim Taehyung,” Taehyung says.

“Taehyung, are you aware that you are no longer alive?”

“I'm aware.”

“Before I can let you through, please state the reason for you death.”

“I was stabbed. My friends are I were being mistreated by a few older men.”

“Your friends are hurrying you to the hospital right now. They are all hoping for you to be alive. Would you wish to see the situation?”

Taehyung nods his head.

A light from above shines down and displays the events to Taehyung as if it was a screen on a TV.

The doctors are at the scene. They place Taehyung onto the gurney and rush him into the ambulance.

The friends and the older man who is still at the scene are taken by the police.

“Wait,” Nam Joon shouts. “We have to call Taehyung's parents!” Nam Joon refuses to go into the cop car.

“We'll take care if that, so please cooperate with us,” the officer says.

Nam Joon climbs into the car.

The ambulance rushes to the hospital while the officers are taking the friends and the older men to the police station.

The light fades away, and the screen is gone.

“I feel bad for my friends,” Taehyung says. “No matter how much they want to save me, I won't be able to go back.”

“You just feel bad for your friends,” the voice asks. “What about your parents? They're going to be heart broken once they hear about you.”

“My parents wouldn't even care.”

“Why do you say that?”

“My parents never cared about me. They never bought anything that I wanted. I always had to put my wants to the side, so they can do what they want. I won't even miss them.”

“You'll regret saying that.”

“No I won't. Other than the fact that I'm going to lose my friends, I'm glad to be here. I can put all my worries behind me.”

“Is that so?”

The light beams down again. This time, showing the hospital.

His parents come rushing to the surgery room. They see that the light on top of the door is still on.

The both of them are frantic wondering what happened to their son. So many questions are floating in their heads.

The light on the door turns off.

They wait for the doctor to come out.

When the doctor comes out, they rush over to him.

“Is this where Kim Taehyung is having his surgery,” his dad asks.

“Yes,” the doctor replies.

“How is he? I'm his father.”

The doctor's head drops. Then, he picks his head up again. “We did what we could Mr. Kim, but I'm sorry, we couldn't save him.”

Taehyung's father and mother's heart drop. His mom cries while his dad freezes.

“I'm very sorry,” the doctor apologizes. He walks away.

“What are we going to do,” his mom cries. “My precious son!”

Taehyung's dad pulls her into his embrace. They cry with each other.

“You still don’t think they care about you,” the voice asks.

“It does look like it, but I’m sure they have more important things to worry about. Why would someone with so little value be important to them?”

“No matter what I say or show you, you probably won’t believe me that you are important to your parents.”

“It doesn’t look like it now or even in the past.”

“How about you go back and look for yourself? I’ll give you two days to go back to your family. By that time, I hope you realize that your family is the most important people in your life.”

“I don’t think my perception is going to change.”

“Suit yourself.”

Like a blank of an eye, Taehyung finds himself in a funeral home. He looks around, and he’s in the room where people are resting and eating. Taehyung suddenly hears crying. He follows the voices and enters a room filled with people. He walks past them to see a picture on top of a casket. The picture is of him. The people are mourning because of him. He looks around and sees his parents on the ground crying there heart out.

Suddenly, a few men walk past Taehyung. He looks to see who they are, and to his surprise they are his friends. They kneel down in front of Taehyung’s casket and cry together.

“I’m sorry,” Nam Joon cries. “It was my fault. If I didn’t provoke them, you wouldn’t be like this.”

Taehyung feels his heart ache. He doesn’t like seeing his friends cry especially if it’s because of him.

“Guys,” Taehyung says, “don’t cry. It’s okay. I’m right here.” He reaches over to place his hand on Nam Joon’s shoulder, but his hand goes through Nam Joon. He tries again, and the same thing happens.

Taehyung starts to feel sad. He wants to comfort them, but it hits him that he can’t.

Later, his parents and his friends are at the lounge area. Nam Joon is telling his parents what happened to Taehyung.

As his parents are listening, they can’t help but cry some more.

“Those man are in jail now,” Nam Joon says. “For forcing minors to buy drugs and murdering a minor.”

“I can’t blame you guys,” Taehyung’s dad says. “You were only trying to help him. I was wrong about you guys. He made great friends.”

“Thank you, for not blaming us,” Jin says. “But we do feel at fault. If we didn’t go out that evening, this wouldn’t have happened.”

“You guys are not at fault,” Taehyung’s dad says. “Please don’t blame yourself. You’re a victim just like him.”

After the funeral, everyone goes home. Taehyung follows his friends. They all go to a river bank and sit at the edge of the river. They are still crying.

“I can’t believe this is reality,” Suga says. “In a blank of an eye.”

Taehyung sits next to them.

“I wish we were at an age where we can drink,” Jimin says. “I want to to drink this pain away.”

“Me too,” Jungkook agrees.

“That sounds like it’ll be great right,” Nam Joon asks. “But that’s not the proper way to deal with this. The way to deal with this is to go on with life. We have to achieve goals and dreams. We must live our life to the fullest to fulfill Taehyung’s life too. He said he wanted a job didn’t he? That’s why we must work for his behalf as well. We are the reason he left.”

“The best way to pay him back is to live our lives,” Jin says. “Let’s do this guys. We will support each other.”

Taehyung feels proud of them.

“How about we go home and rest for now,” Nam Joon says. “We still have one more day off. We can go do something fun tomorrow.”

“Sure,” the friends agree.

They part ways leaving Taehyung alone.

Taehyung stays there for a few minutes. He wants to go have fun with his friends as well. Perhaps he can tag along in spirit with them.

The sky is turning dark. Taehyung heads home.