final chapter

Freedom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

unedited;

final chapter

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

           “I left him, okay?” I cried out.

           “Good.” My father let out a laugh.

           “Now please, stop messing with his business!” I begged.

           “Sure, my sweet daughter. I will stop messing with his business. I’ll keep my word. Now, you have to make sure you keep yours. You’re getting married next week, so I expect you to show up. Don’t do anything you will regret, Dara.” My father managed to threaten me one more time.

           “Don’t worry. As long as you keep your promise, I will keep mine.” I tightened my fist.

           I lost the battle. My father won.

           “What’s the angry pout for, daughter?” I stared at my father as he smirked, sitting in his office desk.

           “You’re ing evil.” At that moment, I did not care if I cursed at my father. He was a horrible, selfish man.

           “And you’re careless. Jiyong didn’t have to almost lose his business, you know.” He raised one eyebrow. He continued to speak, “You got caught by Jaejoong. Did you really think that Jaejoong would be okay with having a lover on the side? Be real, Dara!” He continued to laugh.

           I was angry at my father and myself. I was careless. I was foolish and thought that I wouldn’t have gotten caught. Now Jiyong had to pay for my selfishness.

           “Are you happy, father?” I asked.

           His laughter stopped, and he let out a toothy grin, “Of course, I am.”

           It was my turn to laugh. My father gave a confused look in return.

           “I finally understand!” I yelled.

           “Understand what?” My father asked eerily.

           “I understand why mom left you for a- what’s that term you called her lover again? Oh yeah, a poor er.”

           My father slammed his hand on the table and quickly stood up. I knew I had hit a sensitive point with him.

           “She left you and me because there was no goddamn way for her to be happy in this household. No amount of money could have made her stay.” I sighed.

           “You don’t know a damn thing about life, Dara. I’m not making you marry Jaejoong because of his status. I’m making you marry him because you’ll be able to live life in a secure manner. You will never, ever, have to live poorly!”

           “You think that I won’t have a poor life? I feel like my life is worth nothing now!” I cried out.

           “You’re completely blinded by love. Get out of my office, Dara. I won’t speak to someone who cannot think right.” He moved his hand back and forth to wave me away.

           “I already broke up with Jiyong. You need to fulfill your promise to me that Jiyong will be okay.” I whispered.

           “I am a man of my word, Dara.” My father gave me a stern look, but I knew that he would fulfill his promise. “I will not mess with him anymore.”

           I nodded and left my father’s office, not sure of how I felt.

           I felt angry at my situation, but sad that I had to break Jiyong’s heart.

           Even though it hurt, I knew I needed to leave him. Jiyong worked so hard for his success and my selfishness could not ruin all of that.

---------------------

 

           I stared at my phone. Zero missed calls. I felt uneasy. Was Jiyong okay? I needed to make sure he was alright, but I knew that contacting him was out of question. I couldn’t contact him again. It would make everything difficult and I would definitely crawl back into his arms in an instant.

           I continued hovering my thumb over his contact information on my phone.

           “Damn it. I need to know if he’s okay.” I bit my lip.

           “Dara,” I looked up to see Jaejoong enter the room.

           “What are you doing in my apartment, Jae?” I said tiredly.

           “Let’s talk,” Jaejoong sat down next to me on the couch.

           “About what? Everything is set for next week. My dad got everything he wanted,” I spat out.

           “And your lover is okay with this?” Jaejoong asked softly.

           “No. I broke it off with him, but he didn’t want me to.” I felt a tear drop and I instantly wiped it away.

           I heard Jaejoong sigh. “Dara, I really don’t want to be a villain in your life. I really don’t.” I turned to Jaejoong and saw him lean back onto the couch as he covered his face.

           “Jae-”

           Jaejoong turned to look at me. “Dara, I’m a victim in this situation too. I didn’t expect to marry a woman who is in love with someone else. I don’t like being a pawn for my own father as well. This is his favor, yet I am the one paying for it.”

           “I understand. We both have ty fathers, don’t we?” I gave a small smile.

           “So Dara, let me know now. What do you want to do? I’m not that evil to hold you to something you don’t agree with. I admit, I tried to make our relationship work and that’s why I was a bit possessive in the beginning, but that’s not me. That was just me being desperate to please my father.” Jaejoong shook his head.

           “If I don’t marry you, my father will continue to mess with Jiyong’s business. I can’t have that. Jiyong worked hard to get to where he is now.”

           Jaejoong let out a sigh.

           “Dara, you know, I didn’t mind the idea of you being my wife. I still don’t. I feel like if we have met on different circumstances, we could have worked. Or we could have been great friends.”

           My heart started beating quickly. Why was Jaejoong suddenly confessing his thoughts to me?

           I let out a grin. “I thought the same thing. We could have been great friends.”

           “That can still happen, you know.”

           “What do you mean?”

           “Your father is a powerful man, but so am I.”

           I looked at Jaejoong in surprise.

           “What are you trying to say?”

           “Let’s not get married. I don’t think you’ll ever be happy with me, especially if our relationship has to be forced.”

           “But-”

           “Your father can’t touch Jiyong’s business if he is being protected by mine. So, if your father wants to mess with Jiyong, that means he will have to mess with me.” Jaejoong gave out a sad smile.

           “What? Why are you doing this? You don’t have to get involved, Jae.”

           “I’m doing this because I want to. I know how it is to not have any freedom, Dara. I think its time we fight back, don’t you agree?”

           I instantly started sobbing and put my arms around Jaejoong.

           “Thank you,” I sobbed.

           “You’re welcome.” He whispered.

           I stopped hugging him and leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek.

           Jaejoong instantly froze and looked at me in surprise.

           I smiled at him and said, “That’s a token of my gratitude.”

           Jaejoong whispered, “Please, let me do this once.”

           Jaejoong leaned in as he softly grabbed my chin and planted a soft kiss on my lips.

           My heart stopped at the new feeling and while his kiss felt nice, it was nothing compared to Jiyong’s.

           ---------------------

 

           “She really thinks that she can get away with not marrying you, doesn’t she?” Dara’s father spoke.

           “How did you even find that out?” Jaejoong scowled.

           Dara’s father let out a hearty laugh.

           “You both are still children who have childish thoughts and ideas. She will marry you, Jaejoong. I mean, don’t you want this? You did kiss her the other night.”

           “You spied on us? You have a hidden camera set up in her apartment, don’t you! Holy , you’re crazy.” Jaejoong spat out.

           “It’s none of your business. I already spoke to your father about your not-so-secret plan. He’s unhappy with you, Jaejoong. How did we raise two dumb children? Tsk, tsk.” Dara’s father sighed.

           “My father has no business with my business. Anyone who s with my business and Jiyong’s business will no longer be on my good side, Mr. Park.” Jaejoong said sternly.

           “I’m afraid Jiyong has to deal with more serious things now. You think that I wouldn’t have tried to do anything before you decided to go on his side? Please.” Mr. Park scoffed.

           “What did you do?” Jaejoong gripped the table in front of him.

           “I had a talk with Jiyong. I can see why Dara fell for him. You see, he’s handsome, but eh, I don’t think he’s that great.”

           “Let me ask again. What the did you do?” Jaejoong banged his fist on the table.

           “Calm down, Jaejoong. I just told him that Dara is happily getting married next week and I showed him how happy she is. It was funny seeing him getting so upset at the photo of you and Dara kissing. Poor boy, he shouldn’t have drunk so much. I mean, he could have avoided the car crash he was in this early morning!” Mr. Park laughed.

           “You’re a ing bastard, you know that, right?” Jaejoong threw his napkin on the table and walked out of the restaurant with his phone in his hand.

           He instantly dialed Dara’s number while he was cursing her father.

           “What a ing crazy !” Jaejoong’s hands shook as he listened to the dial tone ring.

           “Dara, please pick up your phone!” Jaejoong thought.

           “Hello?” Jaejoong spoke in the phone.

           “J-Jae, he’s in the hospital! It’s my fault! All my fault!” Dara’s sobs were loud as Jaejoong pressed his ear against his phone.

           “Where are you?” Jaejoong tried to sound calm, even though Dara’s sobs made him feel fear.

           “At Seoul Hospital. God, I’m looking at him right now and he’s still unconscious! What if he doesn’t wake up? It’s all my ing fault!” Dara continued to cry.

           “I’m on my way. Dara, it’s not your fault. Trust me.” Jaejoong got into his car and sped off.

---------------------

 

           I stared at Jiyong’s body on the hospital bed. I looked down at my hands that laid on my lap. This was your fault, Dara. I should have never let Jiyong into my mess of a life. He doesn’t deserve to get hurt, he was never supposed to be hurt.

           I was lost. I loved Jiyong but being with me was only going to hurt him. He granted me the freedom I needed, but I didn’t realize how much it would cost him. He offered me everything but loving me offered him nothing. This was the reality. How come I never realized it until now?

           I got up to leave the room, until I saw Jaejoong run in.

           “Dara, I’m so sorry, I really am.” Jaejoong looked worried as he gave me a hug.

           “Sorry for what, Jae? You didn’t do anything, it was all my fault.” I cried.

           “Your dad… Your dad showed Jiyong a picture of me kissing you. He has cameras set up in your apartment,” Jaejoong spoke with an angry tone. “Your dad is a ing prick, Dara.”

           After hearing that, my stomach dropped, and my legs gave out. I fell to the floor as Jaejoong tried to pick me up.

           “It really is my fault! Jiyong doesn’t deserve this! What if he never wakes up, Jaejoong? Oh god,” I cried.

           “It is not your fault, Dara. Jiyong will wake up, don’t worry.” Jaejoong picked me off the ground and sat me down on the couch.

           “Listen to me, Dara. Let’s not get married. From this point on, I will help you. Your father won’t be able to really do much if I’m going against him. We can explain to Jiyong about how I was the one who initiated the kiss. You can leave Seoul with him or stay if you want to. You can be with him, Dara. You can’t let your father win.”

           “It’s not even about that anymore-”

           Our conversation was cut off once we heard movement come from Jiyong’s bed.

           Jiyong started moving and Jaejoong instantly went out of the room to call the doctor.

           “Ji?”

           Jiyong flinched as he tried to sit up on the hospital bed.

           “Ow, everything hurts,” Jiyong lifted his hand to his head.

           “Please, don’t move too much. You were in an accident.” I ran to the side of his bed and put my hand over his hand.

           “Thank you, uh? I’m sorry, what is your name?” Jiyong asked with an embarrassed grin.

           My heart dropped to my stomach. “Ji, stop playing, I’m sorry, that picture is not what you thought it was! If you’re angry, I get it, but please, don’t mess with me like this!” I quivered.

           “Picture? I’m sorry, but Miss, do I know you? Ah, , my head hurts.” Jiyong moved his eyes from my face to his lap, as he bowed his head in pain.

           I took my hand back that laid on top of his and put it near my heart. What was happening?

           Jaejoong came in with the doctor and Jaejoong must have noticed my facial expression. “Dara, is everything okay?”

           I looked at Jaejoong and the doctor that stood right next to him.

           “He can’t- He doesn’t remember me.” I whispered.

           “Mr. Kwon, do you know the lady next to you?” The doctor asked.

           “Um, she’s very pretty, so I’m pretty sure I would have remembered her, but I don’t think I know her.” Jiyong replied.

           A tear dropped down my face and I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter