chapter two

Freedom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

unedited;

chapter two

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

           I met Jiyong two years ago. I held a gallery, to prove to myself that I could live all on my own, doing what I love the most. At first, I viewed the gallery as a rebellious act against my father, but it soon later became more than that. It was the first time I was able to show the world my talent, my dreams, and my hard work. I entered the art scene as an anonymous artist, so no one really knew who I was at the time and how “Sandara Park” looked like. Because of the anonymity, I was able to walk around my gallery and see people react to my artwork in person. To me, it was a great experience. I heard many people react well to my art and I felt so happy to hear that people felt something because of my paintings. I did not care if I sold anything at this point. I wasn’t doing this for the money, but I was doing it for myself and my happiness.

           As I walked around the gallery, I stood in front of my favorite painting, Freedom. It was my first painting that I have made after telling my father that I did not want to take over the family business. He told me that I was worthless, I would not make any money, and told me that my talent wasn’t great enough to make enough money to live on. I have never felt so angry, hurt, and restricted in my life. My father loves to believe that he has control on everyone, and hearing that I was not going to let him have that control kills him. After telling my father that I was not going to take over the family business, he immediately kicked me out of the house and I was left alone to fend for myself. As expected, I saved some money beforehand and was able to rent out a small studio apartment. To be honest, I was ing scared. I started to doubt my decisions and whether I should follow my dreams. The doubt and fear of failure started to suffocate me and my mind, and I was going to run back to my father.

           Instead of running back home, I took out my paintbrushes and tools and started painting. I stayed up all night completing this painting, putting all my emotions into it. I poured out all my emotions of feeling trapped, wanting to soar, and craving freedom into the painting and once I was done, I felt relieved. Once I saw the completed painting, I knew instantly that I could do this. I could live without my father, and I could follow my dreams.

           I looked at my painting, smiling at how my favorite painting looked so beautiful hanging on the wall, for everyone to see. As much as I would like it to be sold, a part of me wanted it for myself. I shook my head, realizing that the whole point of creating art was to share it with people, and my thoughts of keeping it disappeared. I let out a sigh, hoping that whoever bought it, if anyone did, loved it as much as I did and understood my feelings that I was trying to convey.

           “Beautiful, isn’t it?” I heard a deep, sultry voice speak on my left. I turned to see who the compliment came from, and once I saw the face of the speaker, I instantly become mesmerized once my eyes met his.

           “It is,” I smiled back at the stranger. “What are your thoughts on it?”

           The stranger looked back at the painting as I continued to stare at his face, looking to see his reactions.

           “I can tell that the artist went through some rough emotions. They must’ve felt trapped in their own head. It feels like they want to break through and feel free.” He commented.

           “Hmm, you’re right, it does look like that.” I turned back at the painting to not show how shocked I was at his comment. I couldn’t believe someone could point out the emotions I was feeling!

           The stranger continued to speak. “Do you like the painting?”

           “I love it, actually. It’s my favorite here.” I confessed, smiling back at the stranger.

           “It’s my favorite too.” He gave a genuine smile. “Do you plan on purchasing it?”

           “Oh, I wanted to keep it for myself, but I’m afraid I don’t plan to.”

           “No offense, but I’m really glad to hear that,” he joked. “I plan on purchasing it. It’s too beautiful to leave behind.”

           I let out a quiet sigh of relief. I knew my painting would be left in good hands with him.

           “Oh, well, you should let an employee know, before someone else snags it from you!”

           “You’re right! Excuse me for a bit,” the handsome stranger winked at me.

           I observed him as he walked up to an employee and called the employee over to the painting.

           “This is the painting I’d like to purchase.” He said.

           “Great. What is your name?” The employee asked.

           “Kwon Jiyong.”

           “Okay, we’ll keep this painting on hold for you. We’ll take it down soon. Is there anything else I could help you with?” The employee smiled.

           “Is it possible to meet the artist? Is he or she here today? I’d love to tell them how much I think their painting is great.”

           The employee looked at me with a confused look, and I let out a light chuckle. Without Jiyong seeing, I nodded to the employee and gave a sign of approval.

           The employee smiled and looked back at Jiyong, “Sure, she is right here. This is the artist, Sandara Park.” The employee pointed in my direction and I looked at Jiyong’s reaction.

           He looked so adorable! He looked so shocked and embarrassed.

           He bowed at the employee and let out a word of thanks as he walked towards me, with his hand rubbing the back of his neck.

           “So, Ms. Park, I hope I didn’t make a fool of myself,” he chuckled.

           “Don’t worry Mr. Kwon, I appreciate your comments. I’m glad to know someone is a fan of my favorite painting,” I smiled.

           “Who wouldn’t be? It’s a powerful work of art,” he commented.

           “Thank you,” I pushed my hair strands out of my face and put it behind my ear.

           We stayed silent as we stared at each other. As seconds passed by, I hoped he didn’t notice me blushing.

           Gosh, he was so handsome; it was as if he was a piece of art work himself.

           “If you don’t mind me asking, where will you hang my painting?” I became curious.

           “I actually started my own business and needed a piece of work for my office. Yours is perfect for my office. I based my choice on starting my business on my need for freedom. I hated working for someone else and wanted to feel free from that, so I decided to go with my gut and put in everything I had to start my business.” He gave off a proud grin.

           I appreciated his story. I was quite amazed at how this man in front of me was brave enough to follow his dream and obtain his own freedom. I instantly became inspired and wanted to become just like him. I wanted to obtain my own freedom.

           “That’s amazing. I’m a bit jealous,” I chuckled.

           “Jealous? Of what? I think that you’re doing quite well for yourself, I mean look at this gallery. You’re ing talented.” Jiyong commented. “, I mean, crap, excuse my language.” Jiyong covered his mouth in embarrassment and looked away.

           “Haha, thanks for the compliments. I’m jealous of how brave you are to follow your own dreams,” I confessed.

           “Haven’t you? Or is painting not your dream?” Jiyong looked confused.

           “It is my dream, I just had to push a lot of fear and doubt away, but that’s a long story…” I chuckled.

           Jiyong stared intensely at me and I felt shy and vulnerable. For the first time, I felt different about a man. It was as if my heart was thumping quickly, as if it was ready to jump out of my chest.

           “Well Ms. Park, if you don’t mind, I think have time to listen to your story. Would you like to join me for coffee?” He asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter