Enigma

Unconditionally

That is why Kang Seungyoon ends up standing in front of the said artist’s house/workshop/garage. He keeps telling himself that this is not right. But still, he doesn’t want to break his track record as a successful curator/organizer with zero fail rate. He wants this to work out. He is someone who can’t accept failure.

 

He takes a deep breath and presses the door-bell. A few seconds later, the door opens to reveal a smiling face of the artist, Song Mino. It’s their first meeting in person but he’s already familiar with that prodigy of an artist who made a name in contemporary art scene with an artwork titled “Reminiscing”.

 

He looks younger in person. Even with his disheveled overall and Einstein hair, he looks somehow attractive. “Damn! What am I thinking? This is the weirdo who asks to draw me!” He curses himself mentally and clears his throat awkwardly.

 

“Ahmm.. I’m Kang Seungyoon from Inner Xpace Gallery.” He holds up a hand for a normal handshake but all of a sudden, the artist grabs him into a tight hug. The guy mutters into his shoulder_

“Finally.”

 

He seems so happy and Seungyoon is surprised cos he’s never met an artist who’s this bright, smiley and of all, cuddly. And he is confused af.

 

“Finally?” He questions back.

 

“Yeah, it’s me, Song Minho!” He lets go of him to gesture to himself. As if Seungyoon doesn’t already know who he is. He snorts and replies_

“Yes, I know who you are and that’s why I’m here to discuss. About the condition you asked for.”

 

That has the smile from his face drops. The artist seems to snap out of whatever fantasy world he’s in. And he seems a little bit sad. He mumbles_

“Arhh right. The condition. Please come inside.”

 

Without another word, he leads him inside. Seungyoon follows him, not understanding the sudden 180 change in the mood. He thinks he’ll never understand them at all.

.............................................................

Song Mino brings a steaming mug of coffee and silently sets it down on the table in front of Kang Seungyoon. Since he invites him inside, he doesn’t say anymore word. “These eccentric artists!” Seungyoon mutters under his breath. He glances at his wrist watch and decides to break the ice.

“So.. umm. I agree to let you draw me. But I wouldn’t tolerate any funny business.”

 

Mino raises his eye brows_

“Funny business? As in?”

 

“Funny business as in or.. or any inappropriate concept.”

 

Mino breaks into loud chuckles and laugh uncontrollably. After his laughter dies down, he grabs a fistful of his overall strap and feigns heart attack.

“Ouch! I’m hurt. Is that all you think of me? Really? I’ll never do anything to hurt you.”

 

Seungyoon glares at the man in front of him. He doesn’t get why this artist is acting like this. One minute he looks so down as if somebody kicked a puppy in front of him and next, he’s laughing like a lunatic. And his voice definitely doesn’t sound sweet. Definitely!

 

He hates to admit he actually feels something stirred inside his chest. Damn the guy and his not-sweet-laughter.

 

The artist guy gently nudges the gallery owner’s shoulder jokingly.

“Come on! Seriously?”

 

And his limit is up.

 

He stands up from his seat to leave. Mino’s laughter stops in an instant he sees him leaving.

 

“Are you leaving? Already?”

 

“Yes. I agreed you to draw me. And I reckon you also agree to that “no-funny-business” thing.  So I believe we have reached our conclusion. Here.”

 

He takes out his visiting card and hands it to him. Mino gets it from him, their fingers brushing with Mino’s ones lingering longer than they should. His fingers are a little rugged but so warm. Seungyoon wonders if the other guy does it intentionally.

 

“I’ll give you a week as you asked. I’m usually Ok in the evening. Call in advance and make appointment with my secretary. He’ll arrange it.”

 

He turns to leave just to feel that warm hand on his. The guy grabs his wrist. He turns back to face the guy.

“What now?”

 

Song Mino’s brown orbs are now looking into his eyes.

“I can meet you again right? You won’t break your promise right?”

 

He sounds so small and almost pleading. He feels a little bit sorry toward the guy.

“Mr Song Mino, I’m a man of my word. I’m not gonna break it. Ok?”

 

Mino looks down, mumbles a small “Ok” and lets his hand go, not looking at his eyes again till he steps out of the door

 

Seungyoon finally leaves the house but he can’t get rid of those pleading brown eyes from his head.

 

“Why is he like this?”

 

Song Mino is like a walking enigma and Seungyoon's head is full of questions.