Puzzle Pieces

Unconditionally

He presses the intercom and his secretary picks up.

“Any call for me?”

 

“No sir. Were you waiting for any?”

 

“Umm.. No..”In slight disappointment, he hangs up. As petty as it sounds, he doesn’t wanna admit he was waiting for the call from that particular “someone”.

 

It’s only been 10 in the morning but he thought the guy would call as soon as the office opens.

 

If he doesn’t call, he won’t need to go. It’s better anyway. He shrugs and focuses back on his work. At around 11:30, a call comes through.

 

“Sir, Mr Song Min..”

 

He grabs the phone in a hurry. “Forward it to me.. Forward it.”

 

He almost raps into the receiver.

 

After a beep, he hears a little raspy and metallic “Hello”.He smiles cheekily as if he wins something.

 

“Yes, Kang Seungyoon speaking.”


“Ohh I thought I should communicate with your secretary. Aren’t you busy?” He replies on the other side of line.

 

“Dammit!”He curses under his breath.

 

“It’s ok. I can spare a few minutes. Make it short.”

 

The artist chuckles softly.

 

“So, about the plan to draw, would you be..”

 

“Yes, I’m fine after 5 today.”He cuts in at speed.

 

The guy one the other end, chuckles again.

“You are always so impatient. But that’s so cute.”

 

“Wh..what? I’m not cute. No!” He refutes quickly but the guy seems to think the otherwise. He laughs even more at his denial.

 

The artist continues_ “I was about to ask if you’re free tomorrow. But since you’re fine today, I don’t wanna miss my chance. I’ll pick you up at your office. Ok?”

 

“Ok.”He begrudgingly replies then hangs up.

“Damn Kang Seungyoon!”He should have listened carefully before he proposes the appointment. Acting hastily is so out of his character. He doesn’t understand why he’s like this when it comes to that guy.

 

At 5 o’clock, he wraps up stuff and comes down to find the guy leaning comfortably beside his car in front of his office building. Contrary to Kang Seungyoon’s spotless and crisp Armani suit, the guy looks unkempt even a little bit messy in his oversized coat and sweat pants. Still, he looks so calm and cozy as if he’s exuding some warmth around him.

 

The guy smiles and waves at him as Seungyoon walk to the car. But before he can enter it, Song artist signals him to stop. He opens the door to passenger seat and moves something to the backseat quickly. His upper part of body is inside the car and it’s like he’s bending in front of him.

 

“Aham..”Seungyoon awkwardly clears his throat. Only then the artist seems to realize his position. He gets himself out from the car in a hurry and carelessly bumps his head with the door frame.

 

“Ouch!”Song Mino frowns and rubs his head bashfully. Seungyoon can’t help but chuckles at the clumsy guy.

 

Song Mino mouth agape and stops his hand that is rubbing the injured crown midway, as if somebody freezes him.

 

“Why? What happened?”Seungyoon asks curiously.

 

“You.. you smiled. I made you smile.”He mutters proudly.

 

Seungyoon feels blood rushing to his face. Still he acts nonchalant and snorts back_

“That was not a smile. I was.. I was mocking at you.”

 

He sits inside the car. Song Mino also gets in and starts the engine. There’s still some stuff on the dashboard. So he clears away and puts them to backseat.

 

“I’m sorry I bought some stuff for my princess while I’m in town.”

 

“Princess?”Seungyoon feels uncomfortable at the term of endearment.

 

Mino quickly responds_

“Ahh I mean my pet cat Johnny. I call her princess. You know, she has that princessy attitude. That’s why.”

 

Seungyoon glances at the backseat to find bags and bags of pet treats and toys. He must be a pet-pabo like him. Seungyoon thinks of his boy “Thor.” He too, always dotes on him and buys him tons of gifts.

 

“I also have a pet.” He starts.

 

“A dog?”The artist questions back while driving.

 

“Yes. How do you know?”

 

“Well, you always wanted to raise one.”

 

“Yes.. But..”He is stunned not knowing how to respond. How could a stranger know that about him?

 

Song Mino quickly interrupts_ “Umm I just took a guess. I just thought you must be a dog person. Usually boys prefer dogs right? And girls, cats. Mine is an exception of course. Aha.”

 

Seungyoon doesn’t wanna argue but something seems odd about this guy. Maybe he will think about it later. He’s tired with all the work he rushed to finish just so he doesn’t have to work extra hours today (read: so that he could be here now).

 

He closes his eyes and leans back in his seat.

 

Song Mino turns on the radio. Soft music playing and he starts dozing off to the calming ambiance.