A Friend in Me

Unconditionally

He already learned that the boy’s name was Kang Seungyoon.

 

So when they met, he held out his hand in front of the boy and greeted in a chirpy tone “Hi Kang Seungyoon, I’m Mino. Let’s be friend from now on!”

 

Other children greeted them amiably also. However, all those sweet gestures only met with a cold glare from the boy.

 

The boy turned his head away and ignored not only Mino but also everyone waiting for them at the front door. As if they didn’t exist. And his mother seemed pale and unwell. She didn’t seem to be in good condition or mood either to even respond to their greetings.

 

Children were a little bit disappointed. They tried hard to decorate the door with flowers and even hanged up “Welcome” banner as their way of literally welcoming them to their home. They were so excited to finally meet someone from Seoul, a big city. Some of them never had been there before.

 

But no one was angry at the cold shoulder from the guests, even the young children who were only around 5 or 6. They seemed to somehow make out the situation on their own.

 

Because they all understood what it was like..

 

After all, only a broken soul could understand another broken soul the best.

 

His grandma smiled understandingly at the little commotion and nodded to show her appreciation of the children’s effort before she took the new comers inside the house.

 

Mino put the Pokémon cards back into his pants pocket. It was a popular game among the boys their age. Mino wanted to give them to the boy as his welcoming gift.

 

Maybe it was not the right time.

 

If he learned one thing from grandma, it would be patience. Maybe there would come a day when they could play together. He just had to patiently wait.

 

 

 

Grandma arranged Seungyoon to room with Mino since it would be inconvenient for the new boy to share the bed in the bigger room with other children.

 

She gave Mino a heads-up that the boy might not be able to sleep well though she didn’t go into detail of his medical record. And that night, Mino realized, what the boy had, was more than just an occasional insomnia due to a change in bed. He was suffering.

 

After wishing him good night, Mino turned off the light, only leaving the desk lamp on as he wanted to practice drawing. He noticed the boy turning and tossing in bed for a while but after some time, his mind immersed in drawing that he forgot about him.

 

His was halfway into drawing a mythical creature when he heard the faint whimper from behind. He turned around to the boy’s bed and he could make out the boy’s struggling silhouette in the dark. So he the light and rushed to the bedside.

 

The boy didn’t scream but he was whimpering like a wounded animal, like a hurt small puppy. His eyes were still closed. He was gripping at his chest tightly, almost tearing the shirt he was wearing.

 

Mino gently called out his name and fingers swiftly prying Seungyoon’s grip on his shirt at the same time.

 

“Kang Seungyoon! Kang Seungyoon! Open your eyes. You’re dreaming. It’s just a dream.”

 

Seungyoon’s eyes snap opened with a loud gasp.

 

He was gulping for air like he just ran a marathon and beads of sweat glistening on his forehead. He was trembling. He looked like he was about to cry but controlled his expression when he remembered there was someone beside him. He sat up and tried to act nonchalant as if he didn’t just wake up from a nightmare.

 

But Mino’s hand was still on his chest and he could feel the rapid heartbeat underneath.

 

He was scared.

 

The boy was still scared from whatever dream he had, and yet, couldn’t openly express it. Mind found it so sad and pitiful.

 

He felt sorry and his heart ached just by looking at him.

 

So he did whatever came to his mind.

 

He lightly rubbed the boy’s chest with his palm in gentle taps. Like he usually did to younger children when they couldn’t fall asleep at night. The boy held his wrist to stop him but Mino stubbornly continued his action while whispering sweet nothing to him.

 

He could feel Seungyoon’s heart rate slowing down gradually. And his breathing came back to normal from gasping.

 

“Are you ok now? Do you want to drink some milk? There’s some left in the kitchen. I’ll warm it up and bring it to you. Ok?”

 

He turned his body to leave but the boy held his wrist. Seungyoon mumbled

 

“Don’t go.”

 

 “You don’t want me to go?” Mino hesitantly continues_ “ Ok. I won’t.”

 

“But are you sure you don’t want some warm milk. It’s really good for sound sleep.” He suggested helpfully.

 

Instead of a “Thanks” or any gesture appreciating his kindness, the boy rolled his eyes as if Mino was annoying him.

 

“Don’t bother. I’m fine.. I’ll be fine. Just don’t tell anyone about this. Ok?”

 

Mino sat down on the stool beside the bed. He waited for something but the boy didn’t say anything more. It seemed like he recoiled back into his invisible little shell.

 

“Ungrateful brat.” He remarked inside his head.

 

Regardless, Mino silently got up and made up the messy bed cover, picked up the pillows Seungyoon kicked down earlier and put them back to their place. He helped him lie down and gently tucked him in.

 

“I’ll be here reading…” He quickly grabbed a random book nearby “reading this book. Ok? So go back to sleep. I’ll watch over you.”

 

Seungyoon closed his eyes and tried to fall back to sleep.

 

Mino got a closer look at the boy as he sat closer to the bed. He couldn’t bring himself to hate the boy for how bratty he acted to him. The poor boy looked so exhausted. Dark circles prominent under his eyes and the milky skin seemed even paler now.

 

Mino didn’t know if it was because Seungyoon was from the big city. He looked so delicate and soft in contrast to Mino’s ragged look and tanned skin. Seungyoon’s facial features screamed nothing but handsome. Mino felt like a squid even sitting beside him.

 

“Tsk! What am I thinking? I should take care of him but not appraise his look.”

 

Mino shook his head and chased the thought away.

 

He glanced at the boy’s sleeping form again. Under the soft nightlight of the room, he looked vulnerable and fragile like a porcelain doll. It brought out the protective instinct inside of him.

 

“Whether you accept me or not, I’ll be your friend and I’ll protect you from those bad dreams! I promise.”

 

Mino made up his mind firmly that night.