Ch. 3

Complex

Rochelle sighed as she pulled her mug off the Keurig machine, a gift from her father, and nursed the warm mug in her hands. She walked back to the living room and sank onto her sofa, re-reading her e-mail from the professor. 

Hi All,

I had to rush my youngest to the emergency room for appendicitis. She's doing well, but I cannot come in today. Please make sure to read the chapters on the foundation of graphic design and be prepared for a pop quiz on the subject next time. 

Thanks!

She raised the mug to her lips, taking the tiniest sip without burning her tongue. Thankfully the professor warned them well in advance, meaning she had all day to herself. She tried to recall what other assignments she had pending as she reached for her planner on the table. She opened the planner and flipped to the current week, eyes looking at the assignments she wrote for the past two days. 

A knock at the door made her jerk her head up. She sat there quietly, waiting to see if it was a fluke or for real. A few seconds passed, then she heard a second knock. 

The mug was left on the coffee table and her planner was tossed onto the couch. She made her way to the front door, peering out the peep hole to see who it was. She squinted to see through the tiny hole and realized it was her fiery haired neighbor from 102. 

Fingers turned the lock and she cracked the door open. 

"Um good morning!" the young man greeted her, raising a hand to wave. "I um, realized that I was a bit rude and never introduced myself last night. Lucas said something about you being new?"

She nodded and opened the door wider, stepping closer to the door frame. 

"I'm guessing it was a serious spill if you had to get it soaking right away," she offered. 

He winced as one hand rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, it wasn't dangerous, but it was annoying to spill. Just iodine but if you spill on your clothes, you have to get the stain out immediately, unless you want a permanent mark. Besides, it isn't mine."

Rochelle nodded and murmured, "You don't have to apologize. You're a nice friend to make sure you give back whatever it was clean."

He sighed as he let his shoulders slump slightly. "Actually, it was from a colleague. I'm doing an internship and forgot my lab coat, so I had to borrow a spare from someone else."

The young man extended his free hand and Rochelle took it, giving it a firm shake. 

"Jimin," he said. "I think I heard Lucas call you Roca, but I have a feeling its a nickname?"

"Rochelle," she said. "Nice to meet someone else in this building. I'll admit it's been a whirlwind since I moved in, so I'm starting to meet more people." She let go of his hand and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Are you in Chemistry I'm guessing?"

Jimin waved his hand side to side slightly and corrected her, "Forensics, with a focus on the laboratory department. I don't want to go into the line of duty like the police or detectives, but thought this was interesting."

Her eyes widened at the mention of Forensics and she straightened up. "I didn't know we had a Forensics department. Then again, I'll admit I'm mostly in the art computer lab most of the time."

"Graphic Design?"

"Yeah I am," she replied. "I've always been good with computers and I like art, so it seemed like a nice combo."

Jimin nodded to show he understood, pushing his hands into his pockets. "Um, so, where were you before?"

"You mean school-wise or apartment-wise?"

"E-either one," he stuttered out. "But I'm probably being nosy. If I am, please tell me."

Rochelle shook her head and explained that she had transferred after completing two years of general education courses near home. "I lived pretty close to the junior college, so my folks were nice to let me stay at home while I commuted. It just so happens that the university here had one of the better programs and it's not too far from my parents."

"I see," Jimin replied. He shifted his weight onto his other foot and looked around the hallway before meeting her eyes again. "Um, I hope this isn't too forward, but seeing as I was probably a bit rude, I'd like to make it up to you."

"That's not necessary, you were being kind to your co-worker and I get it," she insisted.

Jimin cast a glance at the staircase and explained that Lucas sort of gave him grief for the brusque introductions. "I didn't know you were new and I'll admit that's probably due to our schedules being opposite of one another," he added. "He just said you were trying to adjust to the school and the area, so..." He paused for a moment and turned to look back at Rochelle. "I'm...it's not a date I'm asking for – promise! I was going to offer buying you a cup of coffee or something at my favorite cafe to say welcome." 

"Oh I appreciate it, but I'd just go with you and you don't have to buy me anything," Rochelle admitted. "Funny thing is, my class got –"

She stopped abruptly as her ringtone for her mom went off in her room and she sighed as she jerked her head toward her bedroom. "Think it's my mom," she said. 

Jimin smiled shyly and replied that the offer was valid any time. "Go talk to her, I'm sure she must have something important to say," he said. He excused himself, heading for the wall of mailboxes. 

Rochelle sighed as she closed the door and ran to the bedroom to catch the phone. 

"Mom, she's probably in class!" she heard her sister protest in the background. 

"No, class got canceled," Rochelle replied as she put the phone to her ear. "Professor's kid has appendicitis. Something wrong?"

"Oh no, of course not honey," her mom reassured her. "I just realized that I never got a chance to speak with you after Bri helped you move. How is the place? Bri said it looked nice and that a cute young man helped with moving boxes."

"Mother," Rochelle warned. 

"You're already friendzoning this kid?" Bri demanded in the background. 

"He's younger! Besides, he's not into me like that!" Rochelle groaned. "Can you guys quit with the shipping stuff?"

"Fine," both conceded in the background. "But are classes going well? Is the apartment nice? Have you made new friends?"

"Yes, yes, and slowly," Rochelle sighed. "I'm trying to focus on the material for now and I'm trying to connect with classmates and neighbors. Actually, I might hang with the guy across the hall sometime. And no, it's a hangout only."

"Good!" her mom said. "Honey, I'm glad it's working out. Oh, how are you doing with finances? Do you have enough food in the fridge?"

"I owe her $50 because of a little unpacking bet we made," Bri sighed. "I'll send it over now via Venmo."

"I'll do it," her mom said. "I'll throw in $450 for groceries and fun stuff with new friends. Dad forgot to repay you for the little loan he took from you for the new pair tires and I want to make sure you have enough for food. So that's $500."

"Mom, thank you, but you don't need to do that much – I did have some left from my job in town," Rochelle argued. 

She heard Bri take the phone from their mom and her sister urged her to simply take the money. "In other words, don't live off Cup of Noodles like Cousin Dex. Just make sure the fridge is stocked with good things."

"Fine then," Rochelle replied. "Thank you, I really mean it. I'm gonna try to get a job on campus or something too."

"If nothing pans out, please don't worry," her mom insisted. "I would rather you focus on your studies and do well. We'll figure out the college bill when you're done there."

Rochelle agreed, but privately she had determined that she'd still try to get a job. Any source of income that came on the side was better than being a mooch, which she hated. She wasn't ungrateful for her parents making offers like this, but sometimes she felt like they still viewed her as their littlest one who fell off her bike at age 7 and ended up with two bloody, scraped knees. 

"Hey Mom, I should finish the rest of my assignments with the extra time I have and I'm probably going to explore the town," Rochelle said. "Talk soon."