Ch. 7

Complex

"Thank you for NOT ordering pumpkin spice," Taemin said as he steamed milk for someone's drink. He glanced up and met Rochelle's eyes, adding that he was starting to get sick of fulfilling the orders for the holidays. 

"It's still beating peppermint?" Rochelle asked, lingering by the Pick Up window. 

Taemin released the lever for the steamer and pulled the milk pitcher away. He focused on pouring milk into the to-go cup carefully, then placed a lid on top. He called out a name and placed the drink in the window. 

Rochelle stepped to the side as the customer retrieved his beverage and turned to see Taemin was waving his hand slightly from side to side. 

"I'm starting to get more requests for peppermint, but everyone is mostly feeling pumpkin spice," he sighed. "We've gone through a lot of containers of the flavoring and I might need to order more soon." He checked the next ticket, noting it was Rochelle's. "I'll have yours out next."

"No rush," Rochelle replied. 

Taemin grabbed another cup and began pouring equal amounts of coffee and chocolate syrup into the cup. When he heard the bell on the door go off, he called out a greeting, then looked up. He quickly averted his eyes and Rochelle frowned as she looked from the barista to the new customers who entered.

"I'm guessing you know them?" she asked, lowering her voice. 

Taemin nodded tersely as he resumed making Rochelle's beverage. He secured the lid on it and handed it to Rochelle. His co-worker emerged from the back, tying her apron into a bow. 

"Good afternoon, what may I get started for you?" she greeted them. 

One of the boys who entered looked from the menu board to the barista and asked for a straight black coffee, no room for cream. He nudged the other guy, who was still trying to decide his order. 

American football team, Rochelle noted as she took her cup and grabbed a small table in the middle of the cafe. Both wore sport jackets with their school crest and the mascot holding a football under one arm. Once seated, she uncapped her drink to let it cool. 

"Gimme one of those blended drinks with strawberries and chocolate," the other guy said. 

"And I've got those student discounts too," the female barista noted as she keyed in the command. She read off the total on the register and Rochelle took a tentative sip as she watched them.

The entire time the guys were ordering, she noticed Taemin was speeding up production on the other drinks, not looking at the new customers. She could only guess that he probably wasn't a fan of them and was hoping to avoid detection. Unfortunately, one of the players noticed Taemin working and pointed him out to his friend. 

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the dancer boy," one remarked. 

Taemin looked up from finishing one drink and nodded, looking at one guy, then other cautiously. The other barista picked up on the tension and tapped Taemin on the shoulder.

"Oppa, it's your break – you should go now," she said. She flashed a pleasant smile at the boys and told them that she would handle their drinks. 

"Actually, we wanted to talk to him," the other guy replied. 

The girl looked from the customers to Taemin and Taemin reassured her that it was fine. He explained he needed to clock out for his break to the guys, then pointed to the back. He excused himself to clock out and his colleague began to prepare the drinks. 

Now this was Taemin's business to handle, but Rochelle didn't have a good vibe about the pair who were asking for him. She quietly debated getting involved and capped her coffee, making up her mind to consult the two athletes. 

"So why do you need to talk to Taemin?" Rochelle asked as she looked at the pair. 

One of the guys turned around and looked for the speaker. He realized it was Rochelle addressing him and nudged his friend. "Where you from?"

"Does it matter?" she replied, flattening her palms on the table. "You guys have anything better than to bother the guy at work?"

"Listen Babe, he's got this friend who thinks he's a genius and thanks to him, our last test in Italian didn't get curved," one of the players sneered. "The red hair's obnoxious as well – it's almost like the nerd is asking for people to pay attention to him."

"Doesn't he have a kid's voice?" the other player asked. "You sure he's college age?"

"Oh he's a wuss – the guy's a pushover," the first guy snorted. "I'm not buying his nervous nerd crap."

Rochelle cast a side glance at the employee entrance, noting that Taemin had not emerged yet. She rose from the table and made her way over to the pair. 

"It's called university, not 'let's waste everyone's time and money' school," she said. "You could study or take another language you know. No one's forcing you to take Italian."

"Please, I thought it would be cake!" the guy replied. "Since I can't find the little nerd now, I thought his friend here could give him a little message."

"Maybe this chick's his girlfriend or something," the other suggested. "I mean, why else would any–"

The guy speaking never got a chance to finish his sentence, as Rochelle kicked him abruptly, making him double over in pain. The female barista paused from putting drinks in the Pick Up window, eyes wide. The door to the employee entrance opened and Taemin looked out in shock. 

"Get out," Rochelle uttered, eyes narrowed. She could hear her ears pounding from the adrenaline and knew that this was a reckless choice. She probably was going to be kicked out of the cafe, but at least this was a space not associated with the campus. "You guys . I pity your parents for being stuck with such lazy s who can't be bothered to put in the effort. If you harass Taemin or anyone else like this, I'll kick your ing asses."

The other guy recoiled and he guided, or really dragged, his friend to the exit, forgetting their drinks in the process. The female barista watched them leave and shook her head. 

"I'm telling the boss that they are banned from here," she declared. She looked around the cafe and asked if anyone wanted a free black coffee and a strawberry chocolate blended coffee drink. Two different customers came up to claim them and thanked the barista before returning to their seats. 

Taemin slowly clapped as he approached Rochelle. The sound made Rochelle snap out of her reverie and she flashed him a pained smile.

"If I'm banned too, I will say the drinks and pastries were great when I had them," she said. 

He shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. "Chim's been having trouble with them all this semester," he explained. "They didn't corner him alone, but they'd often make jabs in class from what I understand. Professor can only do so much to stop them."

Rochelle nodded as she looked at the door. "If in the off chance you ever meet my folks and sister, please don't tell them what I did. Let's say I let my emotions get the better of me."

"No problem," Taemin replied. "Thank you for getting rid of them. I didn't like them before I knew they were bothering Chim, 'cause they are the poster boys for school bribery. They aren't on scholarships and I think one of them had a parent who donated a ridiculous amount to some building for the sports teams. But don't worry, I'm saying you're not banned. If my aunt asks, you eliminated some troublemakers."

"If we could, I'd say your next two drinks are on the house," the female barista spoke up.

Taemin grinned as he slipped back through the employee door and headed for the register. He produced a card and scribbled a note on it, saying that Rochelle's next two drinks were free. 

"As assistant manager, I'm making it happen," he declared. "Don't say no Roca – we appreciate it. I know Chim would be grateful you spoke up for him. Too bad he wasn't here to see the -kicking those guys took."

Rochelle took the card and tucked it into her pocket. She thanked Taemin before returning to her table, deciding it was best to pack up and leave before it got any later. She made sure her coffee cup lid was secure on the cup before picking it up and exiting the cafe. 

Forensics and Italian...not what I expected, she thought, taking a sip.