Ch. 5

Complex

The mystery of the music playing in another apartment had been at the bottom of Rochelle's priorities list until late October. Usually she happened to be running to class or the library whenever she heard it and would return to silence in the building. Eventually she noticed that none of the women she passed in similar workout attire were residents of the building and all of them seemed to be leaving from one of the upper floors in a bad mood. 

"Seriously? Sounds like you've got a player – better avoid this one," her sister warned her. 

Rochelle rolled her eyes as she cradled the phone between her shoulder and ear, reaching for her backpack to hoist onto her shoulder. "I don't know who this person is, but I haven't met everyone in the building yet. I mean, I don't even know if they're a student or go to this university."

"I'm telling you now, if you do run into them, don't give in," Bri reiterated. "Learn from my best friend's mistake – it was a nightmare watching her go back and forth between a guy that everyone knew was a loser."

"Well when have you ever known me to do stupid things like your friend?" Rochelle grumbled. "Listen, I need to go – Kook's said he needs to cram in before the test tomorrow."


"Kook, we've been through everything! You got this!"

"Quiz me one more time on that Soviet section," he begged. "I think I got it, but I want to make sure."

She sighed as she asked him questions about a 1920s Soviet Union propaganda poster that promoted literacy for the working class. He replied back with rapidfire responses, hesitating for a moment on the correct last name for the model used. 

"Her name is Lilya Brik," Rochelle said. "The poster is important because it combined a photograph of a real person with printed text."

Jungkook nodded as he flipped through his notes to check the spelling he wrote. When he seemed satisfied with the answer, he nodded before closing his notebook and stood up from his chair. "I think we're good now. You need a ride home?"

Rochelle began packing up her things and declined, saying she'd walk. The younger boy furrowed his brows, starting to protest about it being late and showing concern. 

"Noona, I'm not saying you can't fend for yourself," he began, "but I know one of the frats is hosting a party and sometimes they harass girls walking by that aren't headed to the party house."

The young woman sighed and relented, saying she'd take the ride this time. 


"You know, I've been thinking about moving out and getting a place of my own," Jungkook confessed as he waited at the light. 

"I haven't heard of any vacancies in my place, but I can keep you posted," Rochelle promised. "It's not cheap though. You might wanna stay home until you can save your money for a place of your own."

He sighed as he floored it once the light changed. "I mean, that's true. But after a while, it gets kind of...I don't know? Weird? I love my mom and my dad, but they kind of worry about me a lot."

"Welcome to the club," she deadpanned.

She pointed out the sign for the complex and Jungkook turned to the left. He slowly drove over the speed bump and pulled up to the entrance of the building. 

"Thanks again Kook," she said as she unclipped her seat belt and exited. 

"See you tomorrow!" he called out. 

Rochelle scooted between two cars and dug around for her keys. Once she unlocked the door to her apartment, she paused in the entryway, frowning when she heard something. She strained her ears to hear snippets of music, something she might have heard her dad put on many years ago. Latin beat from what she could make of it. She put her bag down and closed the door, telling herself that it probably wasn't a big deal.

She busied herself with making dinner, anticipating that the music would turn off any minute. For a moment she thought her prediction was correct, for she heard silence after she turned off the stove to boil the water for her pasta. She pulled the pot off the stove and dumped it into a strainer to drain the salt water. 

For a couple of minutes she heard nothing from above, the only noise being her fork clinking against the bottom and sides of the bowl as she stabbed pieces of penne and chicken onto her fork. As she neared the end of the bowl, she heard the music start up again, sighing. The rest of her dinner was finished quickly and she checked her watch, noting it was 21:47 – later than usual for the mystery music. 

She rose fom her seat, carrying the bowl and fork over to the dishwasher. She placed them in the appropriate areas of the washer racks and closed the door. As soon as she closed the dishwasher, she heard a loud thump, accompanied by the music being turned off abruptly. 

Rochelle froze as she looked up at the ceiling, wondering if it was worth checking on whoever was above her. The music was slightly annoying, but the thump made her wonder if someone was hurt. A few seconds passed before she made up her mind to check it out, grabbing her keys and putting them into her pocket.

"Hi Rochelle," Jimin said as he emerged from the parking lot. 

Rochelle jabbed her thumb at the stairs and asked him who lived above her. The redhead frowned as he tried to recall the tenants, nibbling on his lower lip thoughtfully. 

"Um...I think it's a fourth year?" he offered. "I don't know him really well – I think his name starts with a 'K'? Sorry."

She waved it off as nothing, murmuring that she was going to check on him. "Think I heard a big thud like something or someone fell?"

"You're very nice to check on him," Jimin commented as he watched her ascend the stairs. He quickly headed for his apartment, fumbling with unlocking the door. 

Rochelle paused once she reached the top step, head turning to find the apartment above hers. Her eyes scanned over the other numbers for a moment before the door to 201 opened abruptly. 

A young woman stumbled out, head hung low to hide her tears. Rochelle watched as a young man with caramel colored hair stuck his head out, throwing a raspberry colored jacket at the woman leaving. 

"You said you had experience?" he snapped at the young woman. "I saw no grace, no finesse."

"I heard you, !" the young woman shot back. "You'd have to be stupid to deal with you." She brushed past Rochelle, clutching her jacket as she left to find her car. 

The young man noticed Rochelle standing at the top of the staircase and he addressed her, "Are you trying out too?"

Rochelle blinked as she looked from him, then over her shoulder at the bottom of the stairs. "What the hell was that? Was she okay?"

"Okay is not even close," the young man said with a bored look. "She came in saying she was an expert, but I find out she's a klutz. Completely wasted my time. So, are you here too for the same reason?"

The question made her freeze, tensing up slightly. Bri was right – her neighbor above her was a player. 

"No I'm not actually," she said as she walked over to the door. "I'm actually your new neigh–"

"Sorry I don't have time to waste on new neighbor tours," he cut her off, trying to close the door. 

Rochelle quickly blocked the door with her arm and the young man scowled as he held the door open a crack. 

"I didn't ask for a tour Pretty Boy," she groused. "I came up here because your damn music is loud and someone or something fell."

The young man snickered at her response before running a hand through his hair. "Pretty Boy huh?"

"That wasn't a compliment Asshat," Rochelle snapped. "Do everyone a favor and turn your damn music down!"

"Aww, is it too loud for you?" he shot back. "You look young, but I didn't know I was talking to a Grandma here."

Violence is not the answer, but Rochelle was prepared to draw her fist back to slam it into that punk's sharp jawline. Before she could raise her fist, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist and a familiar voice loudly addressed her.

"Roca! There you are!" Lucas said as he dragged her gently away from the door. "Hey, I had a question on an assignment – help a brother out?"

Rochelle whipped her head around and saw that Lucas was giving her a pleading look, telling her to drop the matter. 

Meanwhile, the young man in 201 snickered as he muttered something about the pair being weird, closing the door behind him. 

" you!" Rochelle roared at the door. 

Lucas shifted his hands from her waist and began steering her to the staircase for the upper floors. Rochelle allowed the younger male to guide her upstairs and she tried to take deep breaths.

"What was that about?" Lucas asked as they neared his apartment. 

Rochelle breathed deeply through her nose and explained that 201 was blasting his music loudly. Accompanied by a strange thud noise, she went to investigate, only to witness the guy throwing an upset girl out and hurling insults. "I only wanted to make sure someone didn't get hurt and didn't need medical," she explained. "Didn't factor that I'd meet the complex player and jackass."

Lucas unlocked his door and flicked the lights on, gesturing for Rochelle to enter first. "You mean Kai?"

Rochelle paused from removing her shoes at the door and looked over at Lucas. "That's his name?"

Lucas nodded as he closed the door behind them. "Kai Kim. He's a fourth year and he's kind of a recluse. I don't see him at school events or parties, come to think of it. But I don't think he does anything illegal, else I would have smelled something coming from his room."

"We can add womanizing to his profile too," Rochelle grumbled as she took a seat on his sofa. 

Lucas headed to his kitchen, saying he'd make them some drinks. "How do you take your coffee? Or is it too late for that?"

"Ah...I probably shouldn't," she sighed, remembering how late it was. "Um...you know what? Do you have tea or cocoa?"

He checked his cupboards and held out two packages, one containing a strawberry herbal tea and the other hot cocoa. Rochelle pointed to the cocoa box and he nodded, busying himself with preparing their drinks. 

"So um, listen I really didn't need homework–"

"I figured," Rochelle replied as she looked over at the kitchen. "Well, you saved me from getting kicked out of the building for starting a fight. I almost punched him."

Lucas winced as he looked up from microwaving the water for the cocoa. He shook his head violently and said it was not wise to start anything here. 

"I'm not just talking about the building rules," he explained, "but word travels fast here and you don't wanna be considered the scary girl who punches anyone who pisses her off."

Rochelle nodded as she looked around Lucas's place. "Has that guy been here the whole time?"

Lucas shrugged and guessed that Kai probably was here before Jimin moved in. "Hey Roca? Maybe we should talk about something else – I mean, you shouldn't worry about him acting like a and he's not worth it, right?"