Ch. 2

Complex

Mom

How's the unpacking going?

Sent 4:09 PM

Rochelle

Last box!

Sent 4:10 PM


"Next time, don't bet against me," Rochelle muttered to herself as she flattened the last box. She retrieved her phone and typed a text back to her sister, who placed a $50 bet on Rochelle saying that the latter wouldn't be fully unpacked before the first week of classes had finished.

Ever since move-in day, Rochelle had pushed herself to unpack a few boxes a night after spending her days exploring the town and campus to find her bearings. True to his word, she ran into Lucas many times, seeing as her apartment was not far from the staircase and elevator. However, she had never seen anyone emerge from 102, which was directly across from her place. At one point she stopped Lucas and asked if he knew the person living across the hall. 

"I've seen him – fire truck red hair, maybe about your height..." Lucas trailed off. "Think he's your year, but yeah I've never talked to him very much. I never see him at the parties, but maybe I've missed him."

She never saw anyone come in or out of the apartment, but she assumed the guy probably had the opposite schedule of hers. That, or maybe he was doing study abroad for the semester. Either way, she'd probably encounter him at some point while living here. 

She collected the boxes and packing paper and carried them to the recycle bin on the side of the complex. She walked back to the entrance and quickly flattened herself against the door as someone rushed past her in a hurry. She coughed as a strong cloud of Dior perfume hit her nose and she watched as the person, an angry blonde in yoga pants and sports bra, unlocked her car and got in. Rochelle watched as the woman backed out of the parking spot and zipped out of the lot at an alarming speed. 

Who the hell wears perfume for a workout? she thought as she stared after the car, shaking her head. She coughed as the perfume lingered in the air and she waved it away, trying to get it to dissipate quickly. 

After a minute passed, Rochelle walked to the wall of mailboxes past her apartment, digging her mailbox key out of her pocket. She inserted it into the slot and turned the key, opening it to find a small pile of mail. She flipped through the envelopes, taking note that most were junk and one postcard from an old friend, who happened to be studying across the country from her. She flipped it over and read the message. 

Chelly!

Your mom told me your new address – congrats on the move lady! The surf's been wicked and I'm in love with the natural beauty of this state. I'm 99% sure this is where I wanna be for the rest of my life. Hope you're adjusting to the big, bad 4 year college life!

~Annie

Rochelle smiled as she closed the mailbox door and relocked it, sticking the postcard into her back pocket. She took the junk and began heading back out to the bins to recycle it. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a car driving in, parking a bit crookedly into a spot. At first she thought it was the girl from earlier, probably realizing she forgot something. But when she turned her head slightly to get a better look, she realized the make and model of the car was completely different. In addition, the driver behind the wheel was male. She dumped the junk mail into the recycle bin as the male behind the wheel tried to straighten the car out carefully but quickly. Once he seemed satisfied with his parking, he turned off the car and hurriedly unclipped his seat belt in an effort to exit the car. 

Rochelle slowly made her way back toward the entrance as the driver emerged from his car, noticing the vibrant red locks on his head. This had to be her neighbor in 102. 

She made it to the entrance of the building at the same time he did, pausing when she noticed he was carrying a plastic bag containing a balled up white thing. She gestured for him to enter first, guessing that he was in a hurry. 

"Oh um, no, you first," he said, slowly meeting her eyes. "Ladies first right?"

She shook her head and murmured that it seemed like he was in a hurry. "It looks urgent."

He nodded and hoisted the bag up. "I spilled on my lab coat and I need to get the stain soaking before it sets." He bowed his head and half yelled an apology over his shoulder as his free hand fumbled with the keys. He opened the door and stumbled inside without closing the door behind him.

Rochelle blinked as she looked from the open door of his apartment back to his car. She noticed the lights were still on in his car and she glanced back at the open door. He probably remembered that his car was unlocked, but a slight nagging thought prompted her to walk over to his apartment. 

She stood outside the doorway, leaning forward slightly as she called into the apartment. "Hey um, did you know you left the lights on in your car?"

She heard water running, followed by the taps being turned off. 

"Did I? Oh um I'll get that – don't worry!" he called back. "Thank you!"

Rochelle nodded as she stepped back from the doorway, deciding to head back. She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to see Lucas smiling at her. 

"Hey Roca, classes going all right?" he asked. He tore his gaze from her and frowned when he noticed the car. "That's...not yours, right?"

Rochelle jabbed a thumb in the direction of her neighbor's place and Lucas silently mouthed a big "Oh." He excused himself to walk over to the entrance to 102 and yelled that the lights were on. 

Meanwhile, Rochelle decided to take this time to leave, slipping inside her apartment as she heard the guy in 102 protest that he already knew about the lights.