.vii.

Gravity - a SeulKai novel ;

The following days her life went back to its usual routine. She hadn’t suffered any collateral damage, which couldn’t be said for Jongin and Doyeon, pushed around by everyone, not able to fulfill their duties. None of them had posted anything on social networks. Especially Jongin, who usually spent hours doing Instagram lives, hadn’t given any news to his fans. Online, on tv, on radio broadcasts, the main topic was always the two of them. Someone, mostly international fans, tried to defend their reputation, but in Korea their fans were against their relationship. Many of Jongin’s fansites went in hiatus for an undefined timescale, Nebulae’s ones had immediately closed right after the scandal. Not only Doyeon’s, but even the ones of the other girls had lost hope for mercy, the group seemed lost without the center who had drawn most of the fans. Jongin got attacked online for dating a minor. On tv way worse assumptions were made, but Seulgi didn’t care. As long as Doyeon got hate then everything was fine, everything was useful for a higher purpose. She didn’t feel guilt. She would have never apologized to Jongin for something she didn’t feel she had to apologize. The two of them would have apologized once thrown out of the agency, and she looked forward to that moment. Someone knocked on the door of her office, she looked away from her pc and invited whoever that person was to come in.

 

Her father wants you to attend the meeting at 2 p.m., he told me to inform you about this — her secretary, perfectly dressed, but with a tired expression on her face, after all she had worked way more than usual giving support to her father’s secretary, bowed after giving her than information and closed the door.

 

That was the moment of truth. All the way to her father’s office she felt as light as a balloon, she felt as if she was gently floating over the shiny marble floor. The meeting took place in a conference room of the management team. She arrived right after her father, but they didn’t wait long before the two accused, with their managers, arrived and took place. Doyeon had a dreadful look on her face, she looked weak and older than she actually was. Her hair was tied in a low tail, she wore a white shirt and some dark trousers. Jongin was wearing a jumpsuit, he probably had spent the morning practicing knowing it was his last time doing it inside Dinasty’s walls. It was surprising that he hadn’t slightly changed, as if he didn’t fell the weight of that situation, but his eyes, that never met Seulgi’s gaze, were dark and lost. After some seconds of silence, almost embarrassing, the CEO, her father, took some papers from the clipboard in front of him. She was sitting next to him and she was looking at the two manager-idol combos who sat at the right and at the left of the table. She was judging them even in that moment. Even when they were judged by others. She never stopped.

 

Good morning. You all know why you’re here and, you’ll forgive me, this is not the place for a debate, but only for receiving what has been decided by me, Kang Jinyoung, with your managers. Decisions required a long time and thinking, the reasons behind them will be communicated to you to help you understand at best the positions of both parties — he took a breath. Seulgi didn’t admire her father that much, mostly because she had never really paid attention and she thought that his only merit was giving her birth and allowing her to do what she wanted, but it was undeniable that he knew how to talk. When situations needed it, when he was given time to think, to organize, to evaluate, he was able to come up with great solutions and even when they weren’t great he knew how to sell them. That was the reason behind his business success. And even Seulgi couldn’t deny that. Money couldn’t be made just like that.

 

Are we here just to be judged? — Jongin’s voice was strangely calm, as if he had already accepted the actions that everyone blamed him for, but that he had never done. It was alarming how he could process anything that happened to him. They way he was always able to remain unperturbed, the memory of their discussion in her office and the way, in front of her meanness, he hadn’t broken down, caused a thrill down her spine.

 

Oh be sure that everyone has already judged you, not only my father — Seulgi, who now had the young man’s attention, fell back on the backrest of her chair, slightly spinning it — today you’re going to receive your sentence. She cheerfully drummed her fingers on the table. She was definitely the happiest person in that room and she wasn’t hiding the fact that she was enjoying the moment. Doyeon, her face pale, was staring at the table, her managers in silence, already knowing what was about to come, but patiently waiting for her father to deliver the news. Jongin was staring at her as if he wanted to pierce her with his stare, the only one in the room, except her, who knew the truth. And then there was her father, who didn’t want to play the judge in such a situation, but, if he had no other choice, could perfectly cover the role. He was the one who cleared his throat to get the attention.

 

I’m sorry, leave your discussions for another time. Let’s get this done as soon as possible — he said to both of them, but Seulgi didn’t miss the stare her father gave her. She felt as if he was angry while looking at her. Even if Jongin had told him the truth, there was no evidence against her. She was sure of this and yet she didn’t feel safe on her chair. She hadn’t felt like that in a long time.

 

I now consider begun the private conference about the future of the two idols: Kim Jongin and Park Doyeon. In the presence of their managers and of the vice president of the company, Kang Seulgi, I’m about to write what was agreed during the previous meeting… First, Park Doyeon’s contract with Dinasty has terminated… — Seulgi stopped listening. Her heart was about to explode, a bit like the tears and sighs who started to came from the girl next to her. Her position was serious, there wasn’t enough evidence to clear her name if not hers and Jongin’s, that made their attempts of telling the truth looking as nothing but covers for themselves. Seulgi was staring her. The most loved girl, the cutest, looked after by everyone, the most polite one, the greatest worker. The girl Seulgi would never be and that she hated, she would have disappeared. She pursed her lips. Her father was still talking, but now Jongin had his attention. He wasn’t paying attention to the situation or Doyeon too, he was staring at Seulgi as if she was the only one in that room. Even from that distance she could see the upset look on his face. She showed him a little, clever and ruthless smile.

 

Second, Kim Jongin… — they both looked away to stare at mister Kang who, Seulgi couldn’t figure out how, was patiently focusing only on Jongin, ignoring Doyeon who was loudly crying while her manager was patting her on the back. Curious to see Jongin’s reaction, she went back to stare at him. He was nervous, his hands, one on the other, were on the table — it was decided that, considered his many years spent at Dinasty, his incredible achievements, the loyalty shown and the fulfilment of the agency laws, at least before this situation occurred, he will be put in a hiatus until further notice. His contract will not be terminated and Kim Jongin will continue to produce music with Dinasty Enternainment.

 

Wait, what? Seulgi looked at Jongin, surprised like her, and the looked at her father who was already standing up to end the meeting.

What?! — she roared. Everyone froze, turning around to stare at her. She had to find and explanation, and quickly. She gazed at her father, then Jongin, now he was the one smiling. Even Doyeon was looking at her as if she had just woken up. She pointed at her.

 

You should treat them equally! If- his treatment is not fair. That’s favoritism! People will accuse you of being ist. You should fire him too! — she tried to sound as convincing as possible. Jongin had to go away, she couldn’t risk being unmasked by him. Then she realized that they could spare Doyeon as well and she froze. If they saw her point, rather than losing their best artist, they would keep her too, maybe hidden and away from her debut for some time, but still in her way. She shut up, her eyes only for her father, begging him.

 

That’s it — he said, terse, and then got out of the room before anyone else. Seulgi was staring at her hands, they were shaking and they were full of red signs on the palms. She had closed her fists, pushing her nails in the flesh without noticing it.

 

You’ve lost you magic touch, haven’t you? — she had’t noticed Jongin was still in the room and now he was staring at her with his arms crossed, a few meters from her. He wasn’t exactly happy of being put in hiatus, but it was clear it was more than he could have hoped for.

 

And you look like someone you would have preferred being fired— she spit at him.

 

I would have preferred it, yes — he sighed between his full lips. He was looking at her face as he was trying to capture any small variations of expression.

 

You can always go —she replied — and spare us from your presence.

 

She was speaking mechanically, her answers were taken from a compartment of her memory, as if it was a computer. She didn’t need to think, she only had to spit out mean comments to see him crumbling under her fire of words. He walked in her direction, arriving next to her, his face towards the door while staring at the windows who looked over Seoul.

 

As I said: you’ve lost your magic touch — Seulgi almost heard him laughing. She turned her head towards him, but he was already walking to the door. She abruptly caught his wrist to pull him towards her. Maybe it was because he hadn’t see that coming rather than the strength of the girl, but Jongin had a surprised expression. In front of her, feeling her grip on his wrist, he lowered his eyes to observe the girl’s hand which was holding him tightly. If she had the occasion she probably would have broken it.

 

Jongin, don’t challenge me — Seulgi alarmingly approached him — as I got rid of her I can get rid of you. Everything you have is only thanks to me. I introduced you to my father, I convinced him you would be successful her at Dinasty, I– the young man’s face suddenly came towards hers, in his eyes she could see rage. He hated her.

 

That Seulgi died long ago. I don’t know the girl who’s standing in front of me and I owe her nothing — with a yank he freed himself from her grip. He backed a bit, still staring at her face to observe her reaction. Without an answer he turned his back.

 

Ya! — she shouted at him, but Jongin had already left the room, leaving her alone.

 

Author’s note:

 

Hello friends and welcome to another chapter! It’s been a long time since the last one, uh? If i have to be honest i thought about stopping updating it, but… I worked hard for this story to come to life and some people like to read it, so at the end i decided to keep on doing my best to update as soon as i can, even if it’s not as soon as i’d like to.

 

This chapter is a crossing point. I needed to highlight the relationship between our Seulgi and Jongin. But i’ll be honest, some things are not like they seem to be. There’s more than meets the eyes.

 

I hope you can enjoy reading it, and even if it’s not that long i hope you can have fun time. I’ll try to update more frequently, at least a new chapter before this month ends. Since it’s summer i really want to spend some more time in writing ad updating. As usual, if you liked the chapter give it a thumbs up, comment anything you feel like in the comment section down below and subscribe if you want to receive the notification every time i upload.

 

Hope you can be happy and healthy! See you [soon, hopefully] on the next chapter ♡