.vi.

Gravity - a SeulKai novel ;

She had to keep on with her act a bit more, just a little bit. She had been repeating herself that since she had left her apartment and now that she was getting ready to go inside the Dinasty building she knew that she would have been overwhelmed with hundreds of thoughts, rumors, opinions on what to do and not do. She had heard the radio, it was a topic of discussion even there, and the fans outside the restricted access area were at least a hundred. It would have been stressful, but for a good reason. She kept on walking through the hall and her secretary, followed by her assistance, reached her immediately.

 

I hope your father has already told you this, Miss, it is really a huge problem!

 

Said the secretary giving her a tablet with what seemed a video ready to be played. A report from some local network, or perhaps even a YouTube video. It had to have happened while she was sleeping.

 

You know what happens if you pass me my father’s problems.

 

She growled at her moving the tablet away while walking.

 

I don’t handle them, let alone solve them.

 

The elevator arrived, the two girls behind her, she had to go to her father’s office, she knew that, but she had to keep on acting until she was sure she could overreach herself. She sighed.

 

Miss Kang, I was told to inform you.

 

Stuttered her secretary, while the assistant kept her eyes on the floor, looking as if she wanted to disappear into it, as if the reason of that confusion was her.

 

My father will inform me, let him show me he is a CEO less incompetent than he already is at being a father.

 

She burst out ending the discussion. The hallway was full of people, her father was not receiving just one person. It seemed as if all Dinasty was squeezed inside the hallway to his office. Incredibly, since there wasn’t any space, the crowd still let her through. Seulgi walked over meeting the eyes of some members of Nebulae and pursed her lips. She pushed the door, speaking out loud so that, not only the people inside the room, but even the ones outside, could hear her.

 

Father tell me that Nebulae have nothing to do with this or, you have my word, it’s the last time I warn you about the little professionality of your artists.

 

The scene was pathetic, but instead of laughing as if she was possessed she pretended to be surprised, and maybe she was. In front of her stood her father, but also Jongin and Doyeon, which meant the two of them had already been summoned. The situation was exciting. Sure that Nebulae had heard her words, she shut the door behind her back, leaving the murmur of the employees outside. The room was extremely quiet.

 

Please don’t just stand there, can someone tell me what’s going on?

 

She flashed her eyes on Doyeon.

 

Why am I not surprised of seeing you here?

 

The young girl looked first at Seulgi’s father, then at the floor. It was clear that she wanted to talk, but probably she didn’t know what to say or, maybe, Seulgi’s presence terrified her. Better that way. The less she would talk, the less explanation she would give, that way it was less likely for Doyeon to turn out as actually innocent. She smacked her lips, looking at Jongin.

 

On the other hand you never stop to surprise me, what have you done?

 

Jongin wasn’t the center of Nebulae and if he had to talk to defend himself, he would have done it. His face was furious, but he was clearly confused too on why he had been summoned in the CEO office.

 

Ah, I have no idea, you tell me.

 

He replied. The fact that he was attacking her so confidently destabilized her. He was extremely sure of himself and if he was pointing the finger that way, in front of her father, she had to be ready to stake her pride and all her gall. She opened her eyes boldly as if she had been cut to the quick.

 

You’ve got some nerve.

 

She flashed her eyes into Jongin’s. She stared right at him as if it was necessary to dispel his doubts once and for all.

 

You two, please!

 

Her father called them. Seulgi kept her face and attention towards the dancer before facing her father. He seemed tired, he was rubbing his temples, the situation had to stress him more than needed, in front of him, on the desk, plenty of papers and photos. Having the daughter’s attention, now that everyone was present, the man explained what had happened and was still going on.

 

Jongin and Doyeon are involved in a dating scandal.

 

He slowly started, as if he hoped he was lying while saying those words. Seulgi couldn’t even pretend to be shocked that the dancer fiercely shouted at her right.

 

We are not dating!

 

He burst while crossing his arms.

 

Really? I bet the press made it all up!

 

Seulgi monkeyed up while looking at him once again, it was much more fun to deal with him rather than listening to her father’s explanation.

 

Rumors have spread thanks to photos and video recorded here, at Dinasty… we don’t know how those have left the building.

 

The young man explained.

 

So you’re saying there’s some material who can prove your relationship!.

 

Said Seulgi raising an eyebrow.

 

And it’s even disgusting, she’s a minor, Jongin.

 

She hissed. She was sure that if the man in front of her wasn’t Jongin but anyone else, they would have punched her, in defiance of manners, decency, and the strict non-violence policy of Dinasty.

 

We’re not a thing…

 

This time a voice cried from left. It was surprising that Doyeon had found the strength to pronounce those few words. By the look on her face it seemed she could faint at any moment, her legs were visibly shaking. Her head low, the girl couldn’t dare to face them.

 

You aren’t dating, but if I remember correctly it was you who was rubbing against his scrotum not too long ago and he didn’t seem to mind it. That’s not something suitable for people who aren’t dating.

 

She faked a thoughtful look, playing innocent and mocking them. She wanted it to be humiliating. Jongin was actually just a pretext. A person that she found annoying, and she didn’t know why, but she didn’t actually hate him. He was, reluctantly, a collateral victim of that situation. A perfect sacrificial lamb, in the wrong place at the wrong time.


Seulgi!

 

Her father called her and she had to turn to face the man who biologically gave her life. She didn’t feel respect for those who couldn’t handle the situation.

 

What? Isn’t that true?

 

She asked to all of them, inviting them to contradict her. As expected, no one came forward.

 

You’re smearing Dinasty more than any other artist has ever done. You don’t have the slightest respect for those who gave you everything. You allow yourselves to make fun of me, my father and all your fans. Father, I had warned you.

 

Her tone was serious, as if she was reading an eulogy for someone important. In a way, ironically, it could be said that it was the funeral of two artists’ careers, but just thinking of that would have made her burst into tears. All of it was so ironic.

 

We haven’t done anything. How did those images dump into the public domain? They’re from the security cameras, Seulgi. Only those who have access to them could spread them!

 

Jongin attempted to give another logical explanation, but she raised an hand to shut him up.

 

Please… if you weren’t an actual idiot I would tell you to stop acting like one.

 

Her face was the image of what mocking someone could actually mean. He glanced coldly at her.

 

…and even in that case, what’s important is that those things exist and are out there ruining my father’s agency’s reputation and you’re here trying to justify yourselves!

 

Her voice dramatically cracked while she was talking about her father. She tried not to overreact and be the usual Seulgi, so that the conversation wouldn’t seem like a trial to both of them or a way to get to the punishment, even if that was exactly her goal.

 

There’s more…

 

This time Doyeon spoke, interrupting what, Seulgi was sure of it, would have been an interesting answer from Jongin. Everyone turned to look at her. Judging from their faces, no one knew what to expect. No one, except for Seulgi, who winced. Jongin’s mouth was ajar, Kang Jinyoung put his elbows on the desk and leaned pushing his hands against each other, his lips between them. He was strung tight as a violin. If there was something else who could aggravate their situation, which was already precarious, nothing of what they could say would have saved them.

 

Let me guess… A tape?

 

Seulgi asked, raising an eyebrow. Jongin moved uncomfortable next to her.

 

Stop with the passive-aggressive observations regarding our position.

 

He started to grumbling.

 

Your positions is so serious that you deserve nothing but passive-aggressive observations from me. I think you’ve done nothing to deserve a different treatment.

 

She observed while fixing with a charming movement of her hand the bangs who fell on her forehead. She found funny how extremely easy it was to knock out Doyeon, who was completely unable of keeping the conversation active and making the rest of them listen to her. She took second place even when she had information to reveal, information that everyone wanted to know. A girl like that, who couldn’t have the attention of only three people, according to her not-so-humble opinion, didn’t deserve the stage and the attention of thousands.

 

Seulgi, enough!

 

This time she didn’t pretend, this time her calculated actions reneged. She wasn’t expecting her father to shout at her like that, let alone in front of the two people she didn’t want to attend the scene the most. If her father was scolding her like that he had truly run out of patience, which meant she had crossed the line. She had a mark she couldn’t overstep too. That man would have cut himself a limb in order to give her what she wanted or desired, he wasn’t even too demanding when it came to his only daughter’s manners and he overlooked many things. If he couldn’t keep quiet in that situation, she had crossed the extremely thin line of the patience of the only man who could actually take away her perfect universe. She looked at him. She didn’t want to apologize, not in front of Jongin and Doyeon, that would have been humiliating. It was them who had to face a trial, not her. She lowered her head, hoping that would be enough. It seemed to work. The man squinted his eyes and ce again towards the young dancer.

 

You said there’s something else. What is it about?

 

He asked. Seulgi exhaled from her lips, while someone else had Jinyoung’s attention. She had tensed up after her father’s reprimand and her back hurt. She felt someone’s eyes on her and looked at her right. Jongin was staring at her. He wasn’t staring at Doyeon who was about to reveal what was worsening their position, he was staring at her. When their eyes met, the young man looked at the other girl, not without stiffening his jaw first.

 

Now it makes sense, but two days ago… I was in a café with some girls from Nebulae, it was full of fans who recognized us and I wanted to show them the polaroids folder. To interact with them. I didn’t noticed it at first, it was full of smartphones recording us and I couldn’t act suspicious, I–

 

The voice of the young girl was becoming rushed as she kept on telling what had happened. Seulgi wanted to say something, she found that behavior annoying. Understanding her was extremely difficult, she was stuttering and she left too little time to grasp the concepts. She pursed her lips. Pathetic.

 

I thought it was my pics holder but instead it was a book. I couldn’t leave it in the bag, they’d have understood I was trying to hide something, that would have been worse! So I acted as I’d taken the wrong object and I put it back in the bag, but they had already filmed it! I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!

 

Now that she was about to burst into a desperate cry Seulgi loathed her more than ever. Doyeon’s eyes were red as she was trying to hold back the tears, that ‘book’ was surely the cause of most of their problems.

 

Which book is it, Doyeon?

 

Asked Jongin out of the blue. Just by looking at him one could tell he seemed someone who had just found out how to solve an enigma. Had he really not noticed that his copy of ‘The Little Prince’ was missing? Doyeon answered him by putting an hand in her bag and showing the old copy of what had to be one of Jongin’s dearest belongings. Meanwhile Seulgi was back at faking a confused expression on her face. She looked at the girl and then at the man as if she wasn’t getting what was happening. She mumbled something vague, she wanted to look as lost as possible. Jongin took the book from the girl’s hands.

 

It’s mine!

 

He said with a serious tone confirming Mr Kang’s fears.

 

I thought I had lost it… How did it end up in your bag?.

 

What an interesting turn of events. Suddenly he addressed to the young and emotionally broken Doyeon with the accusing and inquisitive tone he had reserved only for Seulgi. The girl burst into tears. It took ten minutes to calm her down and pull herself together once again. Seulgi stood aside watching her secretary and her assistant trying to hearten her barely without making her believe everything would be okay. When she was calmer, after sitting on one of the armchairs of the office, she rubbed one of her sleeves on her face and sniffed up with her nose.

 

Now, can you tell me how did it end up in your bag, Doyeon?

 

Jongin asked again. If they killed each other Seulgi would witness a double victory.

 

I don’t know. Maybe when we were in the practice room with you and Miss Kang told us to leave… I picked up my things very quickly.

 

As much as the young girl was trying to make an effort, it was clear that her ideas were confused. Seulgi wanted to say something to clear herself once more and prove her good faith. She wanted to add that she had seen it in the hands of the guy the day she had gone out with her friends, but that would have meant revealing that she had payed attention to something that didn’t care about. She stayed silent sure that Jongin would have disproved the girl.

 

That can’t be, I’ve had it with me until a few days ago.

 

He had clearly lost his mind. Seulgi looked at him confused. It was impossible, that book had been with her and then in Doyeon’s bag until that moment, and probably she didn’t even noticed it all this time. No way he could have had it with him. If the young man’s memory was tricking him things could be in her favor. Two confused, incongruous reconstructions were what she needed to prove that those two people were unreliable and couldn’t cover their backs. She crossed her arms. It’s easier to lie if there’s nothing but mess. She couldn’t tell him he was wrong, they would have unmasked her. She pursed her lips once again.

 

Great! It means that, if you didn’t give it to her and she didn’t take it herself, the book threw itself in her bag to frame you… This circus has to end now. What do we do?

 

She stared at her father, her eyes wide open, trying to look as exasperated as possible. The sooner the judgment would arrive, the sooner she could leave the room, the sooner she could go to party. Jinyoung put an hand over his face. He now had everyone’s attention. Stiff as a statue, he passed his hands over his face while thinking.

 

We need to think through this. If we deny your relationship no one will believe it, they’ll think it’s just a way to cover you, if we confirm it no one will be surprised… they already believe so.

 

He nodded more to himself than to the others. Seulgi could almost hear the sound of his thoughts. Doyeon was holding her breath and she was probably about to faint. Jongin was staring at the floor, his arms crossed.

 

Please, don’t throw us out…

 

The voice of Nebulae’s center cheeped. It was clear it costed all the courage she had to try to save herself last minute. Seulgi’s father’s expression was severe.

 

I can’t decide now, I’ll have to talk about this with your managers. I won’t deny that your position is definitely complicated. Even if you say you are innocent, even if I wanted to believe you, the evidence the public has says the contrary and when you signed the contract with Dinasty you read what the regulation says about idols’ relationships within the agency…

 

He passed an hand over his face. Again. It seemed as if he was trying to push away the shadows that had darkened his handsome face, usually relaxed and peaceful.

 

Allowing you to get away with this would make me as the CEO and the agency lose our credibility.

 

If Seulgi had to appreciate her father for something, that would be his respect for rules. That man firmly believed that abiding by the rules was essential for the right functioning of the society. He would have never backed out. Not one corruption scandal. Not even one fine. He was extremely dutiful and that could be a double-edged sword. He made his employees respect them, he made himself respect them and he would have made Seulgi respect them if he had found out what she had done. She couldn’t risk making a mistake and letting the others unmask her. Doyeon cried something.

 

Sir…

 

Started Jongin, but Jinyoung raised three fingers summoning silence.

 

Go away, we’ll talk again about this in another moment. I have to speak to your managers and your colleagues first.

 

The door opened and the men he mentioned entered the room looking furiously at the accused party. Seulgi’s father’s assistant helped Doyeon to get back on her feet. She couldn’t stand on her own.

 

That’s it for now.

 

He concluded standing up to greet the newcomers and those who were about to leave the room. Two of them with no idea of what to expect in the future, one of them tasting the certain victory. When the door was closed behind their back, Seulgi immediately greeted her secretary and her assistance, she didn’t want to stay at Dinasty. She didn’t want people to ask her unwanted questions. The more she stayed out of that story, the better it would have been for her alibi. She started to walk away. She heard Doyeon crying behind her once again while the rest of Nebulae were comforting her. Even in that situation they were there for her, even if she had been marked as guilty. What was the thing that allowed her to deserve that treatment was a mystery to Seulgi. No one had ever looked after her like that, as a child she was never given room for mistakes, that’s when she changed her perspective and started to convince the others that it was their mistake. Doyeon didn’t have to make an effort, it only took a couple of tears and everyone would come to tell her that everything would be alright. She clenched her fists. She wanted to pass by her office to take some stuff that she had forgotten in the past few days and then go home where she would have stayed until the official statement about Doyeon, Nebulae and Jongin’s future.

 

The hallway was silent, everyone had probably gathered somewhere to gossip about what had happened. Reaching her office seemed as reaching an oasis in a desert.

 

Seulgi!

 

Jongin angrily cried her name. She turned to see him running towards her.

 

What do you want?

 

She turned her back again to open the door.

 

I want you to listen to me.

 

He follower her inside the room without waiting to be invited to do so and Seulgi shot him a dirty look. If Jongin had gone to her to ask her to put in a good word with her father for him that meant he truly felt on the edge of the end.

 

I don’t think you’re in the position to give orders or pretending that there aren’t rules since you thinking of being above them is what put you in trouble in the first place.

 

She pointed out. She stared at him, her arms crossed. The situation looked ironic from afar. She was extremely shorter than him, even with her heels she barely reached his nose. She had mistaken measures and she hadn’t realized how close they were, her personal space was completely occupied by the young man who, since he wasn’t showing any sign of unease, didn’t feel threatened. She didn’t want to back up, she would have never done it. She knew she could face him up even from that distance, as annoying as it was. But he moved away, passing next to her, giving her his back while walking towards the center of the room. He looked thoughtful for a couple of seconds.

 

I perfectly know it was you, Seulgi.

 

He moved his head to take a glimpse of her, maybe to observe her reaction. She blinked, pretending to not understand him, but inside she felt like dying. How could he knew it, how could he be so sure?

 

You just can’t accept the fact that your friend is another opportunist and, for an unplanned mistake, she dragged you down with her, can you?

 

She asked while moving a little in his direction, as if she was strengthening her words.

 

No, tell me, I’m curious. How can you be so sure it was me? Which evidence do you have?

 

She stared at his back. She didn’t want to get closer to him more than needed, she didn’t want to look as if she had an urge to discover what he knew. The guy suddenly turned around, his eyes met hers.

 

Back in your father’s office I lied. I forgot the book the day I took pictures with your friends.

 

That felt as if the earth above her feet had opened taking her breath away. A hundred questions came to her mind. He couldn’t be sure she had taken it, she wasn’t the only person in the hall.

 

Which evidence do you have?

 

She managed to repeat as if she wasn’t able to think anything else, but luckily managed to still stare at him. She wanted to know if he could find any. In that case she would be ruined.

 

I have nothing, but I know it, and you know it too.

 

He said while shaking his shoulders. It was too simple and something felt forced, but he seemed honest. He knew it was her fault, he knew she had put The Little Prince inside Doyeon’s bag, but he couldn’t find any points to support his theory, even though he was right and they both knew it. So…

 

So let me understand. You have no evidence.

 

She started to count while raising a finger, then a second one and then a third one while following her list.

 

You’re sure it was me, but you didn’t even try to tell it to my father. Why?

 

This time she was the one to pass next to the other. She reached her desk while crossing her arms. The young man still seemed higher than her, but he was sad and burdened because of something she couldn’t get.

 

I wanted to look into your eyes while you were lying.

 

Somehow she lost her breath, even she couldn’t understand how she managed to not make a sound or to not let emotions betray her. That simple sentence was full of something she couldn’t understand and it hit her with ferocity. Jongin was staring at her.

 

Tell me why, why me? What have I done to you?

 

He sounded sincere. He brought his hand towards his chest, as if he wanted to catch the fabric of his t-shirt, but his fist was closed. She didn’t know whether to tell him the truth, no one would ever knew it except them anyway, or to keep on lying to him.

There was something in the young man’s face that stung her somewhere, near her heart. She didn’t know what it was, she didn’t feel guilt nor regret. It was something she couldn’t fully get. It seemed important.

 

When did you become like this?.

 

There wasn’t nastiness in his words, just deep loathing. A chill run down her spine. No one had ever looked at her like that. With anger yes, even hatred, but that loathing she could see in Jongin’s eyes… never.

 

Oh please! Spare me from your compassion.

 

She burst out. Unable to sustain her look anymore she moved it away from him knowing she had just lost an important confrontation. Something inside her cracked. She felt her cheeks hot and she knew she had become red. She hadn’t felt that kind of unease for years. Not feeling judged, but pitied. She wanted to hit him. She started to stare somewhere on the wall, slightly above the baseboard, unabled to look at the dancer again.

 

Can you tell me why? I think I deserve it since you’re about to ruin my life.

 

The voice of the young man cracked. She hadn’t seen him crying in years. Even if Jongin was a sensitive person with a good heart who could cry for happiness, it had been a long time since she had seen him crying because he was sad or tired. And if he did he was certainly not in front of her. They had lost that kind of friendship and intimacy while growing old. Perhaps it was his voice cracking that made her turn her back. Her eyes were teary, but she wasn’t crying, probably she wouldn’t have cried. Once more he was insisting, he wanted to know the truth, even if she didn’t owe it to him, she knew that perfectly. She actually owe him nothing. She lowered her eyes, as if his knees were extremely interesting. She stayed still until she saw him turning around to go to the door.

 

You’re just a collateral casualty, you’re expendable.

 

She whispered at the floor. He was out of her view, but she was sure he had turned around to glance at her, she didn’t know how, before slamming the door behind his back.

 

 

Author’s note:

 

Hello friends and welcome to another chapter! How are you doing? My time managing is getting worse as time goes by, i have many Univ deadlines in May and June, so i decided to put myself into this update so that i can be a little less incompetent haha

 

As you can see there’s more than meet the eyes and our Seulgi clearly has something going on between herself. I’ll try to explore her attitude and mind better in the next chapters. And we’ll also see what will happen to Doyeon and Jongin. Any guesses?

 

If you liked the chapter give it a thumbs up, comment anything in the comment section down below and if you really loved it subscribe too, i’ll be the happiest.

 

Hope you can be healthy and happy! See you soon on the next chapter! ♡