one

3650 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DAY 1

 

Twelve years old Ahn Yujin walked happily along the small path as she admired the sunshine reflecting off the Han River.

 

It was after school and Yujin was on her way home. Lots of people were out taking advantage of the beautiful fall weather. There were joggers running along the river. Some people were taking their dogs for walks and there were children playing in the playground nearby.

 

This was Yujin’s favourite time of the day as she could people watch. She would often wonder what kind of lives these people have. What kind of jobs did they have? What kind of family or friends did they have? Her overactive brain was always working on overdrive and it usually led her to trouble.

 

She was focusing on a couple close to her when she heard some commotion coming from behind her. She turned around and noticed two boys wearing the uniforms of the nearby high school talking to a girl sitting on the bench. The girl had her head down and was trying her best to ignore the boys.

 

“Hey pretty girl, who are you waiting for?” The taller boy asked as he nudged his friend.

 

“Since your friend is making you wait, why don’t you hang out with us instead?” 

 

Yujin noticed that the girl was clutching the book she was holding tightly. Yujin realized that the girl was getting really uncomfortable with the boys’ advances, so she decided to approach them.

 

“I’m sorry I’m late!” Yujin spoke up as she got closer and smiled brightly at the girl. “Have you been waiting long?”

 

The girl looked up in surprise when she saw Yujin but she shook her head quickly.

 

Yujin turned to the 2 boys and flashed an apologetic smile. “I’m really sorry but we have to leave now.”

 

Yujin took the girl’s hand and pulled her up from the bench. She led the girl away from the boys. The two of them walked in silence for a little while before Yujin spoke up.

 

“I don’t think they are following us.”

 

The girl did not answer instead she was looking down at their joint hands. Yujin followed her glance and realized that she was still holding onto the other girl’s hand.

 

“I’m so sorry!” Yujin apologized as she let go of the other girl’s hand.

 

The girl looked at Yujin’s face and burst out laughing. “I’m sorry. You helped me out and here I am laughing at you.”

 

“Don’t be sorry!” Yujin shook her head, relieved that the girl was not upset at her for holding her hand. “And anyways, you have a beautiful smile!”

 

The girl stopped laughing and looked at Yujin in surprise. Yujin realized that she might have been too direct with her words.

 

“I’m sorry again! I shouldn’t have said that.”

 

The girl chuckled. “We have to stop apologizing to each other.”

 

“You are right. How about we start over again?” Yujin held out her hand. “My name is Ahn Yujin. It’s very nice to meet you!”

 

The girl looked at Yujin’s outstretched hand for a second before accepting it with her own. “I’m Kim Minju. Thank you so much for helping me!”

 

“It’s my pleasure!” Yujin grinned as she looked at the girl in front of her. She was shorter than Yujin but was very pr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter