Chapter 5

Obliviously In Love With You

‘We love the things we love for what they are.” 

 

Who even takes their date to a park?” Sehun asks agitatedly as he waits for Jongin to pack his stuff after the dance class. 

Getting no reply he repeats loudly slapping his friend’s back to get some attention.

“Ow that hurt Sehun, your hands are hard as ” Jongin whines rubbing his back.

“Yah well you weren’t answering me” Sehun stomps his feet on the ground impatiently. 

Jongin thinks for a while then replies, “I don’t know, it’s about preferences I guess I mean I would never take my date to a park but I remember taking Kyungsoo to a museum once”

“You did that so you could get laid you told me that it was ing boring”

“Hey I would do anything to make Kyungsoo happy even if it means to stare at blob of colours and pretend they are paintings” Jongin shrugs picking up his bag pack. 

“Hmm...well you have a point there” Sehun hums in response. 

Seeing Sehun going quiet Jongin nudges him playfully on his arm, “So why are you asking this anyway? don’t tell me you are planning to take someone out on a date, the Oh Sehun I know dosent date, like ever” he makes sure to enunciate the ever. 

“Of course not, Chanyeol took his date to a park, so weird” Sehun scrunches his face in distaste. 

Jongin obviously not expecting the answer looks at Sehun curiously but Sehun being too distracted with whatever he is thinking dosent notice the look neither the crooked smirk forming on Jongin’s lips. 

“I smell something” 

“What?” Sehun sniffs the air of the small locker ,and honestly all he can smell is room freshner mixed with sweat which isn’t a very pleasant smell. 

“Something like jealousy” Jongin grins. 

Sehun turns to stare at his friend incredulously,“ no! Don’t be silly Jongin why would I be jealous of Chanyeol?”

“Not of Chanyeol but the fact that he took someone out on a date is clearly bothering you” Jongin replies innocently as they both walk out of the studio. 

Why would that bother him? He helped Chanyeol date Baekhyun. It’s not like this was Chanyeol’s first date he has been on so many before and Sehun being his roommate and best friend knew about all of them. So that is obviously not the case. Jongin clearly is on the wrong. Sehun deduces.

 “Jongin don’t use your brain cells too much you already have like 2, save them”  

“Whatever helps you sleep at night, now stop whining and buy me a drink” 

Jongin doesn’t wait he tugs on Sehun’s shirt and drags him to the nearest coffeshop. 

                                ~ 

After taking a shower, grabbing a book Sehun sinks down on the couch to read or more like pretending to read,  no matter how many times he ran his eyes over the letters it made no sense, he gaze keeps darting towards the clock every minute because it’s late and Chanyeol is never late for their Friday night. It’s a weekly tradition when they stay in and eat together, watch a movie or something. Chanyeol likes to call it date night but Sehun refuses it’s not a date.

After skipping a few pages and then going back to re-read it Sehun gives up. He picks up his mobile absent mindedly to give a call but changes his mind and drops it on the couch with a sigh. He doesn’t want to come off too eager anyway. 

When Sehun hears jangling of keys on his door he quickly flips on a random page and goes back to reading the book, He knows  who it would be. 

The door swings open and Chanyeol walks in. 

“Hey” 

“Yah” Sehun doesn’t look up from his book though. 

“Sorry I am a little late, had to drop Baekhyun home” Then Chanyeol mutters something about increasing traffic in the streets of Seoul. Sehun just nods his head, he isn’t really listening. 

“It’s alright, Anyway Il go eat” Sehun climbs off the couch. It’s not a big deal he tells himself. It’s just one Friday night, not like they signed any bond saying that they were bound to spend every Friday night together. 

“I thought we were supposed to eat together?” 

“Didn’t you already have dinner with Baekhyun?” Sehun enquires a bit surprised.  

“No I didn’t, I told him that you and I always eat dinner together on Fridays, wouldn’t want to break our tradition” Chanyeol winks at him.

Sehun rolls his eyes and goes back to the kitchen. But a part of him feels happy that Chanyeol hasn’t forgotten about it. 

 

“So what are we watching?” Chanyeol asks as he slumps on the couch beside Sehun. His just washed hair is still dripping. Usually he would have made a fuss about his best friend getting their couch wet but today he doesn’t say anything. 

“This movie, I heard it’s good” Sehun points at the screen. The opening credits of ‘My tomorrow, Your yesterday’ starts playing and they both concentrate on eating their food and  watching the movie. 

After awhile when they are done eating, Chanyeol casually leans onto Sehun, his head resting on his shoulder. This isn’t new at all. But somehow the close proximity starts to feel slightly weird for some unknown reason and Sehun tries to shift away. 

“Mmmm don’t move, stay like this” Chanyeol whines dragging his words lazily. He scoots into a more comfortable position.

For once Sehun thinks he should feel happy that they are spending some time together without Chanyeol being on his phone because when he isn’t with Baekhyun he usually is texting him or on a call with him. The thought immediately brings back what Jongin had said earlier about him being bothered about his best friend dating someone. 

“Is something wrong?” Chanyeol asks lifting his head slightly to look at Sehun’s face. 

Sehun instantly shakes his head, “Why are you asking?” 

“I noticed you are not really paying any attention to the movie, you seem...distracted” 

“I am just tired I guess, had dance class today” Sehun lies hoping his best friend would believe him because in no way can he talk about his conflicting thoughts to Chanyeol when he himself can’t seem to comprehend any of it. 

At this Chanyeol slides an arm on the small of Sehun’s back, tugging him closer to himself. 

 “You could have just told me you know, if you are tired. I’d understand” Chanyeol says genuinely. 

“I didn’t..want to ruin our tradition” Sehun smiles a little. 

“It’s fine, You can never ruin anything, really” There is something about what he says or what he doesn’t say makes Sehun’s heart flutter weirdly. Chanyeol’s gaze is soft and he doesn’t drop his eyes from Sehun. 

The strangely intense moment lasts just a few seconds but it feels like an eternity. 

“Are you blushing?” Chanyeol widens his eyes amusingly. 

What

Sehun immediately feels all the blood rushing to his ears, and his cheeks heat up in embarrassment. He looks away to the other side to compose himself. 

“Am not blushing, why would I?” Sehun protests defensively as he wiggles out of his best friends hold. 

“Sehun you really surprise me, I never thought i’d see you of all people being shy” Chanyeol bursts into a fit of giggles. 

Sehun has always been pretty stoic and self assured and not someone who would blush over something his best friend said. 

“Glad I could make you laugh, I am going to sleep” Sehun mumbles curtly as he gets off from the couch planning to make a quick dash towards his room to avoid any further embarrassment but Chanyeol reaches out and grabs his wrist. 

“Cmonnn don’t leave, i actually think the blooming colour suits you, you looked kinda cute”

Sehun bites down on his lips fighting back a smile that wants to break out. He mentally slaps himself for acting like a teenage girl crushing over a boy. Nothing makes sense. 

Maybe he hasn’t had any flings in months and he really needs to get himself out there. He isn’t the commited relationship kind and more like getting drunk and making out with someone no strings attached kind of person. Maybe watching everyone around him dating is finally getting to him and he needs some action. Otherwise why would he be stuck with tormenting blushes and having his heart skip beats over his best friend. Sehun reasons with himself. 

“I am sleepy, I have early morning classes tomorrow...I will just crash” 

Chanyeol just nods his head and let’s go of Sehun’s hand after a few seconds and goes back to watching the movie. 

When Sehun reaches his room a tiny part in he misses the warmth of his touch and realises that he really needs himself a distraction because this potential confusing feelings are stressing him out. 

                                    ~