II. HAPPINESS

WENJOY ONESHOTS

February 3, 2017


This is when everything started. Wendy woke up being all dizzy. She held her temple and tried to give it a soft massage. She blinked her eyes once, twice, thinking she would be okay after the third time but no, it's even worse. Back then; she can feel her breathe hotter than the normal one she was used to. She's heavily breathing. It's weird, she had difficulty breathing. She got up from her bed and was about to stand up when she ran out of consciousness.


After a few hours, she woke up again. But this time, she realized she's in a different environment. This isn't our house, she told herself. She can't describe the smell, a smell of strong disinfectant that weirdly has a fresh scent. She opened her eyes. A bright white color of lights was exposed through the ceiling. Walls were painted with a combination of light blue and cream white. She's in the hospital. She tilted her head to the right side of her bed when she saw her mom sat next to her, sleeping.


"Mom.." her voice cracked


Her mom woke up, asking her if she's okay. She got a mosquito borne viral disease.



February 13, 2017


It seems like her first day. After a week of rest in the hospital, she finally went back to school.



February 16, 2018


She went home after her 3rd day in school, feeling all better. Not until she saw her mom crying in the corner of her room.


"Mom.. What happened?"


Her daughter’s voice flustered her mom. She didn't know her daughter would come home any sooner so she wiped off her tears. Then, she tried to calm down before talking to her daughter.


"Nothing Wendy, why are you home so early?" Her mom smiled.


"Mom I saw you crying"


"Be prepared"


Wendy gazed her mom a confused look. Be prepared, what does she mean by that?


"Just be prepared.” Her mom continued, answering Wendy's confused look



February 18, 2017


It's Sunday morning. She was sitting on her bed, her laptop placed on her lap; papers were all around her bed as she was doing her homework. When suddenly, a buzz on her laptop caught her attention. It's a notification from yahoo. That’s weird, she told herself. Not even her own account's notifications were buzzing. She then opened the notification out of curiousness. It's her dad's account. Why is it even here? As she read what is it about, she then realized everything.


She learned that her dad is cheating on her mom. Be prepared, she heard her mom's voice in her head.


February 21, 2017


This is probably the saddest birthday she celebrated.


Last 2 days ago, her mom sent her dad away. Of course, she cried.


Now, her mom is even angrier than before. She won't let her dad go to her party, which made her feel incomplete.


She hates her dad, obviously but she loves him at the same time.



February 3, 2018


Not to mention, she got her depression a month right after her birthday, which made her mom worry. What an unlucky girl. She was continuously attending her sessions, not until now. Her psychologist said, she's better now and she does not need to attend her sessions any further. She can still message them though once she feels any unnecessary sadness.


Not to mention again, after five months of her sessions. She decided to discontinue her studies.


It's been a year of her ups and downs.


She just got her work last week. And now, she's working in a cafe, which made her learn her love for cooking.


Her daydreaming got stopped when an order came.

1 caramel macchiato

Name: Joy

Request: please write be happy

 

Once she got to read the receipt, she quickly prepared the order. And right after about 3 minutes, she called for the girl.


"For miss Joy?"


A beautiful petite tall woman was approaching, smiling.


"Miss Joy?" She said with her not-so-happy face, where her sad eyes contradict her smile as the woman approached her.


"Yes" the woman, answered, still smiling.


As she was about to give the macchiato, she felt a warm hand holding her knuckles. She looked at the customer who's still smiling at her. She's confused.


"That's for you.. Wendy" Joy said, looking at her nametag.


Her heart beats faster. She tried to loosen from Joy's grip, feeling a bit of embarrassment. This is actually the first time that some random person talked to her. Her life being robotic; She wakes up at 7am, attends sessions at 8am, prepares herself at 10 am, goes to the cafe at 11am, and goes home at 7pm.


"Thank you" she said trying to avoid eye contact



February 13, 2018


She never paid attention to any of the customers not until February 3, which is exactly 10 days ago, where one of her customers gave her a drink. That customer changed her. Now, she would almost memorize every customer's face and their preferred drink.


Joy visits their cafe almost everyday, which she got used to. She even knew the time Joy arrives; it's 1pm. She would always order an Americano to drink and a chicken pesto sandwich to eat.


1:00pm
She's waiting for a beautiful petite girl to open the door.


2:00pm
Still, Joy hasn't come.


6:50pm
10 minutes before her shift ends. Finally, Joy came.


"You're a bit late today" words came out boldly from , which made her fluster. Why did I say that, she told herself.


She expected the worst and looked down. When she heard the girl let's out a happy sigh. She slowly looked at her. She's smiling, again. I mean, always. Her heart beats faster when she heard Joy's voice.


"You knew what time I usually go here"


"Y-yes"


Joy smiled "2 caramel macchiato, and..."


A chicken pesto sandwich, she told herself, as she knows what Joy usually orders. It's weird she did not order an Americano today. She's continuously talking to herself when-


"You"


"Me?" She tried to calm herself down, with her heart beating faster


Joy looked at her clock and continued

 

"It's 6:59, you still have to accept my order and 7:00 would be the end of your shift, so.." Joy looked at her again, smiling, waiting for an answer.


"Okayyy?"


"Great. I'll wait for you at the table." Joy said as she points at the table where she would usually sit.


7:30pm
She's now wearing her casual attire, her long blonde wavy hair laid down. Walking towards Joy with a tray on her hands, which have 2 caramel macchiato in it.


"Hey" she approached Joy who's looking outside the window

 

"You're beautiful" Joy smiled at her, and then tapping the seat beside her. Am I going to sit beside her? This is awkward. Will it be okay? Well, she still sat beside Joy after all the questions in her head.


8:40pm


It's been an hour of talking.


She learned 10 things about Joy

1. Joy is a regular at their cafe, before she came. Well, she didn't notice her before, with her robotic life.

2. Joy is a song composer. What? She's more curious now

3. Joy made one of her favorite song 'you better know' she isn't that robotic, she sometimes listen to music as well

4. Joy knew the end of her shift because her work is actually just at the 6th floor of the cafe's building.

5. And Joy usually goes home at 7pm, the same time she goes home.

6. Joy's true name is Sooyoung. Park Sooyoung.

7. Joy likes ice cream. Specially, Baskin' Robbins.

8. Joy's dog is named Haetnim. It's her first dog in her entire life. Wendy smiled at how Joy was really happy telling stories about haetnim.

9. Joy likes girls... Well, she does not care about the gender.
10.

"I like you" Joy told her


She likes me.


Her cheeks flushed with redness, with her heart beating faster. Words couldn't get out of .


"I like you since we were in college. I like it when I see you laughing with your friends. I was about to approach you when suddenly I can't see you around with your friends anymore and learned that you discontinued your studies. Well, after a year, I was losing hope finding you until I saw you again, Seungwan."


She knew my name. Wendy's true name is Son Seungwan. She doesn't want to be called Seungwan after she got depressed. She thinks she would leave Seungwan behind and begin a new life as Wendy.


"The happy eyes I saw before is different now, you had your sad eyes despite of you smiling to every customer and I would like to make you happy again."


Wendy who's still frozen to her seat cuts herself off by moving closer and pressing her lips against Joy's.


"You changed my life. Joy you make me happy."


Wendy's boldness shocked her as well. But Joy does make her happy. She never thought of being happy again until she met her.

 

Joy hugged Wendy tight. Wendy hugged her back.



February 5, 2019


It's almost a year now. Wendy, who's better now, has her own cafe. She once learned she loved cooking. She got the courage to pursue her baking and built her own cafe. Joy being one of the best composers, who wrote at least 10 tracks that gone viral in their country.


7:00pm


"Hey" she heard Joy's voice. She turned around and saw a beautiful tall petite girl walking towards her in the counter.


"2 caramel macchiato and...."

"You"


Wendy smiled


"You make me happy" She wrote on Joy's drink