Chapter 3: Who is Jisoo?

When Yes Means Forever

Chapter 3: Who is Jisoo?

Rec Song - Malibu Nights by LANY

 

Joohyun just stares at her completely and absolutely blank. She doesn’t smile, she doesn’t frown, and she doesn’t even move the fork she is holding down with a piece of peppermint cheesecake. She only looks at her best friend like she has said something that is genuinely out of the ordinary. She doesn’t react at all and for a second, she hopes she hears it wrong.

 

Her husband’s holler confirms it otherwise though. Bogum stands up and extends his hand to Jisoo, like they are long lost acquaintances that are now going to be friends. “Hi, I’m Bogum. I’m Joohyun’s boyfriend. Oh, right, husband now,” he laughs at his own joke. “Nice to meet you.”

 

Jisoo awkwardly shifts her hand in front of Joohyun to shake hands with Bogum instead. “I’m Jisoo,” she greets him back. “Congratulations on your wedding. I’m sorry I couldn’t make it earlier.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. Seulgi’s friends, who are,” he chuckles, “Joohyun’s friends as well are welcome anytime. Have you eaten yet? You should eat. The buffet table is over there. And there is also plenty of wine in the bar and fresh fruits by that corner —” Bogum is speaking a lot, like it’s not just a couple of minutes ago that this person he is talking to is just a stranger. It just happens now that she is, apparently, Seulgi’s girlfriend.

 

Joohyun is still not saying anything and is merely watching the interaction between her husband and her best friend’s girlfriend.

 

“Hyun,” Seulgi utters, beginning to get anxious at the silence she is getting from her best friend.

 

“I-I’m sorry, I just —” Joohyun finally speaks and suddenly stands up. She begins to walk away, muttering something about needing to go to the rest room or something.

 

Seulgi sighs but she kind of expects this. “I’ll go after her,” she tells Jisoo and Bogum.

 

“Will you be okay?” Jisoo asks, reaching for her hand.

 

“Of course,” she smiles at her and gives her hand a gentle squeeze before following Joohyun to wherever she runs to.

 

She finds her best friend, not at the rest room, but at the back of the garden where there are no guests because no one is allowed to be there. Only the staff of the place is supposed to be there which is a little ironic because at the back of the garden are the most beautiful flowers. Standing there are huge sunflowers. They might not be the most expensive, popular, and picturesque but at least, they look merry. She silently walks towards the bride who is still on her wedding gown, alone, and staring in the space, playing with the sunflowers within her reach.

 

“Hey,” Seulgi approaches her. “Are you okay?”

 

Joohyun turns to look at her and suddenly, there is a series of emotions in her face that plays from angry that turns to sad that finally turns to betrayed. Honestly, she still doesn’t know what to feel at the moment. She doesn’t understand what this is or how she feels about this.

 

“I thought when you said this is my last chance to bring anybody, you meant it,” Seulgi tells, smiling despite whatever this is that is happening between them, sitting a feet away from her best friend. “That’s why I decided to bring her here. I’m sorry if you don’t like it. I’m sorry if this is uncalled for. This is your wedding after all.”

 

“She’s not just anybody though,” Joohyun whispers, looking at her best friend for a second before quickly looking away again. She doesn’t know how to look at her the same again.

 

“You’re right,” Seulgi says, chuckling softly. “She’s the person I love.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” the bride bellows, shaking her head disappointedly.

 

“Coming out may not be my strongest point,” the maid of honor simply shrugs, reaching out for a tall sunflower that is obviously not within her reach. “I thought, that if I tell you,” she continues, trying to explain, “things would be different. I didn’t want things to be different. You’re my best friend.”

 

Joohyun laughs sarcastically. “Exactly,” she retorts, turning to look at her best friend again because she just wants to see how difficult it is for her. “I’m your best friend ever since we are in diapers. You know everything about me. I thought I know everything about you, too. We have been together all our lives. And you didn’t even think it’s important to tell me you like girls?”

 

“Does it change anything?”

 

The bride looks at her best friend for a long moment before looking away again. She doesn’t know how to do this. She has never done this before. “No,” Joohyun finally answers. “You’re my best friend, Seulgi. Nothing will change that.”

 

The maid of honor feels a sudden calm in her heart. She knows this is selfish because this is her wedding day but she doesn’t know when else to tell her. She doesn’t want to keep it from her anymore.

 

“But how could you not tell me?” There is still more than a hint of betrayal in Joohyun’s tone that Seulgi understands. “Do your parents know? Do your brothers?”

 

Seulgi slowly nods. “I think my family has known all this time,” she offers quietly.

 

“Our friends?”

 

“Not all. Just some,” she answers curtly. “I told you, coming out is not one of my strengths.”

 

“Are you sure about this?” Joohyun ultimately asks.

 

Seulgi is not sure she understands. “You mean, am I sure about her, Jisoo?”

 

Joohyun doesn’t say anything.

 

“I love her, Joohyun,” Seulgi says without a beat, with no hesitation, with no doubt. When she says it, it’s like she is saying that humans breathe, that the trees are green, and that the clouds are blue. It’s like she is saying something that is permanent, constant, and real. It’s almost like she is saying something that is supposed to be and supposed to happen.

 

This is the first time Joohyun hears her say it about someone.

 

“When you said I could bring anyone, I thought she is the person I want you to meet,” she continues, looking at her best friend hopefully. “I thought you meant it when you said that I should bring someone for you to meet, so you wouldn’t be worried about me anymore. Because you’re getting married. It’s not going to be the same whether we like it or not. I thought I’d bring her and tell you there’s no need to worry about me anymore. You don’t need to watch me as much like before anymore. You don’t need to be there for me so much like before anymore. You don’t need to take care of me as much like before anymore.”

 

Seulgi looks at her best friend and there is both sadness and happiness in her eyes when lastly, she tells Joohyun, “You be happy. And I will, too.”

 

Joohyun wants to cry. This can’t be real. She has not just lost her best friend. “She’s not just anybody,” she repeats softly.

 

“She’s not.”

 

“You should have told me.”

 

“I know. I’m sorry.”

 

Joohyun honestly wants to cry. She doesn’t mean it like how Seulgi understands. She finally understands.