In Which She Thinks Something Shifted

Alcohol (술)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[강슬기]

“Hey!” He reacted violently and I just only smirked before I took off, ready to leave my bag behind. I have my phone with me anyway. I started to walk towards the opposite side where he was standing and went on without looking back. Things will be over anyway if I just leave him be. Like I always do. I relentlessly took steps on my way home. It really feels quite odd that I just met Jongin yet again. I took a short breath and took out my phone to check Wendy has sent me a message and was kind of relieved to see none. It’s better if I get home with her sleeping. The more non-existent the questions she’ll ask me, the better. I put my phone back into my pocket and felt eerie. I’m hearing my own footsteps and yet I feel like someone’s right behind me. I frowned hard, don’t tell me it’s…

“You.” I deadpanned as soon as my vision hit Jongin as I halted out of the blue to turn around to check if he really was there. He took an abrupt stop too, standing still at where I caught him but was smiling unapologetically.

“What do you think are you doing?” I asked sordidly, the frown in my face not leaving.

He just smiled harder as he placed his hands inside the pocket of his coat, my bag still noticeably on his shoulder alongside the paperbags in his hands, “What do you mean?” He shot back innocently and it irked me even more.

I took a deep sigh and watch another round of smoke come out of my mouth, “Go home, Jongin. It’s freezing.” I pleaded generously, surrendering with whatever what was transpiring. He just nodded his head just as softly and although, he walked past through me he was still going on the direction towards our residential building. What’s with this guy, really? I have met up with him before and we normally parted ways afterwards. I felt my frown go harder and didn’t realize I was staring at him for too long that he had gone back to pausing where he was, already steps ahead than me.

“You said it yourself, Sul. It’s freezing.” He said softly, “Let’s just get you home.” He raised his brows at me as if telling me that I am making a big deal out of nothing. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. It must be Wendy sending me a follow up message. I just pursed my lips and glared at him before I proceeded to walk and the idiot just smiled dotingly as soon as he saw me take steps.

“What’s with you?” I asked as soon as I reached him. We were now walking side by side.

“Nothing.” He replied shortly, “I mean, it’s only natural for me to make sure you’re home safe and seeing how baffled you are right now that I am doing it means I’ve been treating you like the whole time.” He went and I scoffed.

“Stop being overdramatic.” I shot him down, “We meet and part ways all the time. There’s nothing wrong with that.” I bluntly answered him.

“I know. I just didn’t realize that whenever I asked you to hang out, regardless of the time, you always manage to be there and I seldom think about making sure you get home safe.” He stated somberly as if telling the realization to himself and not to me, “I just don't like that anymore.” He finished as he met my eyes and I just shrugged.

“I’m old enough to secure my safety, Jongin.” I responded to assure him as I looked ahead, breaking our eye contact. “Besides, we barely meet.” I added as I watch a light in the street flicker out.

“I know.” He said yet again, “You’re just always there during the down lows.” He said in a low voice laced with guilt.

I looked at him for a short while, “Did something happen?” I asked him softly.

He turned his head to look at me whilst walking and just shook his head, “No. I just…” He went off still looking at me.

“Look ahead.” I reminded while he just chuckled and did as told.

“I just felt like something has shifted.” He declared softly and I didn’t want to probe more.

“Huh.” I reacted and sniffed, the coldness of the night getting to me. He just reached out for me and fixed my scarf as I didn’t noticed how it has gone loose on my neck. I just looked down as he finished securing it around me and said nothing. Just let him be and this will be over, like it always is. We just proceeded to walk right after and I have never been this thankful for the silence. There was something about the serenity on the quietness of the streets that comforted me which I think comforted him too.

We were already five to ten minutes away from the entrance of our building when our silence was broken down by the ringing of my own cellphone,

*♫ Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb ♫ *

I immediately picked up, sure it was Seungwan. I checked my watch, it was 2:45 am. I’m in for another round of lecture, “Hey, dad.” I opened lightly with a chuckle. “I promise I’m five minutes away.”

“Oh. Hi Seulgom-nim.” A pleasant yet manly voice answered instead and it was a voice I was familiar with. My brows met

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter