In Which She Just Can't Get It

Alcohol (술)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

강슬기

[Kang Seulgi]

I arrived in the café half an hour later and winced when I found out that it was already 1:00am, it was way too late. I shook my head in regret. I might look a little suspicious if I were to be seen right now especially when I’m all covered up because of the cold. I was wearing a white turtle-neck long sleeves tucked in a black jeans topped with a long coat with a similar color with my Adidas’ stan smith on toes, a cream-colored scarf wrapped around my neck.

“What am I even doing?” I mumbled annoyingly by myself as I went inside the café and instantly caught sight of Jongin who was seated right at the end of the place, eyes on me, already waving with a huge smile pasted on his face. I can tell he looks a bit tired with the bags under his eyes. If we weren’t that acquainted, I would have overlooked the sadness in his eyes but the years of familiarity had me too aware of how he really feels. I just quavered all my thoughts away as I walked closer to where he was,

“Hey.” I greeted as soon as I finally got in his table and took off my scarf. His arms were crossed with each other topped at the table as he looked at me, his smile still on his face. I raised my brows and noticed he already ordered a warm cup of Mocha latte for me.

“Hey, you.” He greeted back fondly still with a warm smile. This idiot seriously. “Thank you for coming.” He said right after.

“I was clear about coming, Jongin.” I replied pointedly, “When have I ever stood you up?” I addedmatter-of-factly.

“I know.” He responded, still with a smile as if he’s so glad to see me. I noticed we were wearing the same set of clothes only to be set apart by the color of our tops, he wore a black turtle neck instead of white and had his signature Gucci loafers in toes. We've always shared a similar taste when it comes to our wardrobes.

“This better be good.” I reminded him as I took a sip of my latte, “I took a risk to come here after all.”

“I know.” He said as he looked down, his smile finally wavering down a bit.

“What’s up?” I finally asked in a casual tone but keen to find out what was really going on.

“I broke up with Jennie.” He dropped nonchalantly as he smiled sadly at the same time he brought his hands down to take a sip of his own drink.

I almost choked after hearing what he said. I honestly didn’t know how to react. He and I haven’t spoken properly with each other for a very long time. Sure, we did pass by the halls when we had concerts and coinciding schedules, greeting each other and asking how we have both been but that was basically it. I haven’t even known they were on a relationship until I heard it from Joohyun unnie, a close friend of Jennie’s.

“I…” I reacted after a while and weighing my words, “When?” I just asked instead. I honestly didn’t have any knowledge about their relationship apart from hearsays.

“It’s been a week but the news only got dropped today.” He said with a sad smile. Right, I haven't even glanced in my work phone to check the news today. No wonder he looked like he was in despair despite all the smiles he’s given out.

“Are you okay?” I inquired softly as I can as if telling him that it wasn’t necessary for him to tell me everything.

“I’m feeling a lot better now.” He reassured as he gave a shrug, smiling a bit at me.

“That’s good to hear.” I just responded kindly.

“Sul-ah.” He called out delicately as he put back himself in his previous position, arms crossed out topping it in the table but with his head leaned on it this time, his long legs suddenly stretched all the way to where I was sitting whilst keeping eye contact with me, a posture he usually keeps when he’s unloading his worries, “She said I just wasn’t treating her the right way.” He said after a while and looked down. “That she wasn’t willing to take the risk anymore especially when I don’t make her feel that it’s worth it.” He continued, “I just think… I…” he struggled to find the right words, “I wronged her you know?” He briefly looked back at me and only to gaze back down again, “Her career was just taking off and I, who has been on the entertainment industry for quite a while, just had to ruin that.” He ended, frustration written all over his face as he pushed his hair back out of defeat.

“Hey.” It was my turn to call out to him this time, “Please tell me you didn’t browse the web.” I continued. Jongin has this bad habit of indulging himself in the virtual expanse. He checks articles, comments and even posts about himself and the people around him. A habit he and I don’t share. I mostly stay clear of the internet and think of things that were actually before me. I’m sure he did it again this time if he thinks went to ruin Jennie’s career when they dated; that this was all his fault and I despised it a bit.

“They’re saying I busted her potentional.” He detailed as he sank himself in his arms, his body visibly tensing, “That I was irresponsible, worthless and good for nothing jerk who doesn’t know to to perform and sing and only date—”

That’s it. I can’t take this anymore and clenched my right fist to hit the top of his head,

“Ouch.” He quickly reacted and suddenly sat up straight, clearly surprised by my sudden assault.

“Yah Kim Jongin!” I called out to him angrily quite a bit loudly than I intended, making him look at me. "Look, I don’t know a lot, if nothing, about your relationship with Jennie. That’s because we haven’t even talked for a very long while now.” I stressed out before I begin to lash out, “I didn’t come out here, at this ungodly hour as a form of loyalty to our somewhat continuous silent camaraderie, to listen to you call yourself such hateful adjectives. I didn’t come here to hear you call yourself: irresponsible,” with that I hit his head with my fist, stretching my body a bit to reach him although we were close because he was obviously a foot taller than I was,

“worthless,” Another hit,

“good for nothing,” and another,

“and talentless—” and another before he took my hand in obviously larger hand to stop me from doing so.

“I get it.” He asserted as his free hand massaged the part of his head which I continuously hit while I just realized I was too comfortable in doing so. Sometimes, I just can’t believe how we are able to maintain our familiarity despite our scarce communication. “I’m sorry.” He added and looked down as he rubbed my hand with his thumb which I quickly retracted lightly because honestly, anyone would get the wrong idea if they were to see us like that.

“Look here, chingu.” I said to continue our discourse, “Who asked out who?” I finally asked him. I know he asked me to come here and unload but I just can’t be the best person he can share a conversation with about this whole thing if I know nothing about it.

“She did.” He replied instantly while I took in the information. “She said I was her long time crush. That she has really liked me ever since I started in the industry and that I was part of her dream,” He continued.

“And that she named her dogs after me because she liked me that much” Wait, dogs? I internally cringed at that.

“I can tell you’re bothered by that.” He said with a slight smile, “Your brows lightly scowled. You just judged her, didn’t you?” He furthered waiting for me to respond.

I opened my mouth to rebut him and tell him no but I just couldn’t take it and chuckled, “I can’t believe she named her dog after you.” I covered my mouth to gather my composure, this feels like the wrong time to lament over it.

“I know.” He said agreeing as he shook his head as if finding these things as ridiculous as I do. “I was bothered by it as well. But hey, she was attractive, you know? Charming too. I just thought there’ll be no harm in trying.” He shrugged.

“Hm.” I hummed, “Sounds like a very…” I tried to think of the word to describe their relationship, “very casual relationship.” I settled it with a smile.

“We were. We were really just dating. It was nothing really too serious. I wanted to deny it when it first came out.” He mentioned while I just took another sip of my latte, “But they had pictures. I don’t want to come out like a jerk.” He added making it sound like he was given no choice, “Besides, I haven’t dated after a while ever since Soojung and Sehun told me to start going out before it’s too late. And then, she came along.” He narrated.

“You listened to that ?” I raised my brow and chuckled. He just shook his head wordlessly as if ashamed that he did.

“Well, I don’t exactly regret dating her. We had our moments but,” Jongin said after a while, “when we got ousted by Dispatch, the gears shifted.” He took a sip of his drink, “She was already a bit demanding to begin with but it got worse. She wanted more of my time, my attention and all.” This time he circled his cup, “And I just can’t get myself to give her that anymore. We dated for five months.” He finished as he looked at me.

“How’s the heart?” I asked him, pointing at my chest whilst doing so. It was the same question I’ve asked him when I remember going to him after his terrible break-up with Soojung.

“It’s doing just fine.” He answered honestly with a slight smile. “Like I said, we were casual.” He reassured me with a shrug. “I knew she and I wouldn’t make it after the news got out. She was just too young.” He ended as if he really did see everything coming. “Sure, I go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter