chapter 8

dangerous

If this only ends in tears, then I won't say goodbye.
 

Wind rushing through her hair, Eunbi breathed in the fresh air as the two girls flew on the roads. Two hands tightly holding the grips, Eunbi manoeuvred her way through the winding roads, taking into account that she was also liable for the safety of the girl behind her.

Sakura’s face was nestled in her hair and she could feel her warm breath on her neck. It seemed like the girl had had a fight with her best friend and Eunbi couldn’t help but think that it was her fault. She knew she shouldn’t have gotten involved with the popular girl, but she couldn’t stop herself and now it seemed like they would both have to face the repercussions. 

Eunbi gulped as she kept her eyes on the road, feeling guilty as after everything, Sakura was the one that had been affected the most. 

All she wanted to do was protect the precious girl, but it seemed like she was doing anything but that.

Every now and then, Eunbi looked back quickly, briefly glancing at the girl, who dazedly observed the moving landscapes. 

After what had just unfolded and considering Sakura’s recent clash with her parents the other night, Eunbi was beginning to think that they just weren’t meant to be. 

As much as it hurt to admit, she wasn’t good for Sakura and like everyone else said, she was dangerous.

Admittedly, she didn’t know Sakura well before they began dating, but she could tell that she had changed drastically and knew deep down that ultimately, it was her fault. 

Eunbi had just wanted to show Sakura what living for the thrills was like, but she was now realising that perhaps this wasn’t the life that Sakura was supposed to live.

Their mistakes couldn’t be undone though. 

What happened had happened and there wasn’t anything they could do to reverse it. All they could do now was stop it, and as much as Eunbi wished it weren’t true, the only way she could protect Sakura was to let her go. 

It’s what’s best for her, she reasoned with herself. 

But was it really?

Nearing the lookout that they found themselves at almost every night, Eunbi tried her best to clear the thoughts from her head, knowing that she had to stay strong and be there for Sakura at this time. 

As they arrived at their lookout, Sakura jumped off the motorcycle and sat on the edge, swinging her legs and looking out at the city lights. Running her hand through her hair, Eunbi watched as Sakura got off, clearly dejected.

Wanting to console her, Eunbi slowly walked up to her and kissed her on the shoulder.

“Hey, are you okay? Tell me what happened,” she softly asked.

Upon hearing that, Sakura instantly broke down and started crying again, as Eunbi her hair while holding her in her arms.

Hiccuping as she tried to suppress the tears, Sakura managed to answer, “I don’t understand, it feels like everyone is against us being together.”

Sighing, Eunbi knew that the time had come and regrettably brought up, “I think we need to talk. We can’t do this anymore, Sakura.” 

“W-What do you mean?” the girl asked, scared to receive a response.

“I mean...I think I have to let you go Sakura, to protect you,” she said quietly as she turned her head, avoiding the girl’s teary eyes.

“I’ll be fine, but you’ll end up getting hurt the most. You’re losing your friends, your future and even your family.”

Sakura reached for Eunbi’s chin and turned her face so that she would look her in the eye. “Which is exactly why I don’t want to lose you too,” she said with a shaky voice.

“Why me, though? All I’m doing is causing you trouble,” she questioned.

Cupping the doubtful girl’s face in her hands, Sakura confessed,

“Because you’re worth the trouble.”

As she held Sakura’s hands in her own, Eunbi admitted, “You know I’m not good enough for you. I can give you my all, but it won’t be enough.”

Shaking her head in disagreement, Sakura rebutted, “You’ll always be enough and I’ll always be happy. As long as there’s an ‘us’.”

Still feeling unsure and lacking hope, Eunbi asked one last time, “Are you sure? What if this ends badly, are you really willing to risk it all and stay with me right now?”

Nodding her head as a few tears escaped her eyes, Sakura assured her, “If so, then I’m even more sure.”

As she caressed Eunbi’s cheek with her thumb, Sakura softly confessed, 

“Like I said on that day, even if it all falls down, you’ll always be my favourite mistake.”