chapter 4

dangerous

There are voices ringing over. They keep saying, "Danger, danger.” I can't make them take you under. Makes no difference, no one can take this away. 

 

With her earphones still in, Sakura closed the front door of her house and briefly said, “Good evening, I’m home,” about to walk up the stairs to her room.

“Stop right there,” her father said, halting his daughter in her steps. “Do you even know what time?”

Sighing, Sakura answered carelessly, “Yes dad, it’s 10.30. I’m sorry for staying out too late.”

“Don’t give us that attitude. If you knew it was late, why did stay out late anyway?” asked Sakura’s mother.

“I’m sorry I was just out and lost track of time,” Sakura attempted to reason.

Pressing further, her father brought up, “In fact, you’ve been coming home late a lot these days. It’s the fourth time this week. What have you been doing?”

“I’ve been studying with a friend,” Sakura lied through her teeth.

“With Eunbi? That’s weird because from what we heard she seems to be more than just a friend.” Freezing for a second, Sakura’s heart beat a million miles per hour as she was scared to hear what her parents had to say.

“How...How do you know about Eunbi?” she asked wearily.

“Chaeyeon came by this afternoon looking for you and she told us all about the two of you. Some of your teachers have also called us regarding your recent work ethic. Did you think we wouldn’t find out?”

“N-No, I just thought that it wouldn’t matter much cause I had it in control,” Sakura said, trying to defend herself as she looked at the ground, avoiding eye contact.

Attempting to reason with his daughter, Sakura’s father admitted, “Look frankly, we don’t mind you dating, but not her, not when she’s messing up your life like this. She’s a nuisance, nothing but trouble.” Hearing this, Sakura winced as her parents insulted Eunbi as if she was third-rate.

“Sakura,” her mother called with a worried voice, “What’s happening? You can tell us. We just don’t understand why you’re doing this? Especially with that girl.”

“Well I like her, she makes me happy,” Sakura confessed, hating the fact that no one understood her and was automatically against their relationship.

“I understand how you feel Sakura, but you can’t risk everything for her. You’ll forget her eventually, so why are you putting your future at stake for her?”

Flinching at their words, Sakura started to get angry, frustrated that they acted like as if Eunbi was worthless.

“Have you ever thought that maybe that future isn’t the one I want? You guys are always telling me what to do, who to be. Shouldn’t I have a say too?” she yelled, finally speaking up for herself.

“See! This is what she’s doing to you! She’s turning you into a different, a bad person.”

Not understanding their point of view, Sakura tried to explain, “You don’t even know her, she’s not like what everyone thinks. She’s-”

“We don’t need to know her to know that she’s a bad influence. You don’t care about your school work, your future, you’re coming home late, you’re barely even talking to your friends these days. This has to stop,” her father bluntly said.

Tears nearly falling out her eyes, Sakura said weakly, “What do you mean ‘stop’?”

Taking a deep breath, knowing that she wouldn’t be happy with what he had to say, he continued, “I mean you’re grounded and we forbid you from seeing that girl ever again.”

“What? You can’t-”

“Sakura we know what’s best for you and it’s not her. She’s dangerous,” her mother tried to add calmly.

“I-”

“No, I don’t want to hear another word from you. Go to your room and don’t come down until you’ve cleared that deluded head of yours,” her father ordered, pointing at her room and unable to even meet her eyes.

Wiping away the tears, Sakura stormed up the stairs as she knew she lost.

Looking back, she glared at her parents before slamming her bedroom door.