1.2

Two Percent Off

Mark makes amazing music. Critics’ words, not his. They say the stories behind his lyrics are ubiquitous, his beats and compositions are bold, and his voice is expressive. He’s heralded as the songwriter of the new generation, and rightfully so.

98% of the songs Mark writes are good, either lyrically or musically. The 2% comes from the beginning of his career, but he’s since learnt from his few mistakes. It’s kind of weird how easily it comes to him. He’s written two-month chart toppers in under five minutes before.

Sometimes, s claim that Mark isn’t human and that songwriting is his secret superpower, but those kind of comments always make him uncomfortable. He can never reason why, and when people ask about his inspiration for a song, he just makes something up.

“Come on, Mark, you trust us, right? You can tell us who your muse is.”

It’s times like these—when s are lowkey interrogating him about his genius—that Mark wishes he was a soloist.

With a forced chuckle, Mark usually responds, “Just a dumb drama I saw on tv.”

Of course, you can tell none of them believe him, instead fantasizing up some elaborate scandalous confession they think he’s hiding even though that could be further from the truth. They’re not the only ones either. Reporters, their fans, even his parents all wonder about it.

No one seems to believe that Mark doesn’t have an actual person he’s using as a muse.

“You can’t write a GOOD, sad love songs without experiencing your own heart break,” is something he encounters daily—online and off.

“Clearly, I can,” is all he responds. Imagination, duh.

The great Mark-muse mystery. The mystery of Mark’s muse. Mark’s mysterious muse. Quite frankly, it’s crazy how many headlines gossip columns can draw up. Just how they brainstorm for those, Mark does the same for the songs he writes.

He waits for an idea, then jots it down.

No muse needed.

Strangely enough, his no-muse streak is broken by the sudden appearance of the atypical, idol-looking fanboy who comes to their fan meet and... confesses to him? More bold than any beats he’s ever produced. His tone of voice more expressive than Mark’s own.

It’s peculiar and unexpected which definitely catches Mark off guard because he swears he’s already seen it all as an idol. Fans doing questionable things, idols doing questionable things, staff doing question things... just people in general doing very questionable things.

But no, it’s the boy with the lip print jacket that leaves him at a loss of words, not an easy feat to accomplish against a writer either. The sound and lyrics that later become “Outburst” plague his mind feverishly until he’s back in his room. He works on that song like a madman
It charts like a madman, too. Five weeks consecutively at #1. Against big established artists in the field no less as well.

When his band mates beg Mark for the details on Mark’s “secret muse” that led to the birth of this monster charter, Mark finally has an answer for them.

“The fanboy who confessed… At our last fan meet, he said he was going to make me fall in love. I don’t know why, but he was the reason I wrote the song.”

s, surprisingly, don’t give him too much flack for being inspired by a boy, but their curiosity adds to Mark’s momentum.

Song after song, Mark pumps out about the fanboy, so much so that his company forces them to release an EP to capitalize on this moment in their lives. All the songs chart, of course, even the intro.

In an interview, s spill that his muse is an unidentified fanboy.

When word travels fast in the human world, it travels even faster in the Clouds.

Everyone knows instantly who the boy with the lip printed jacket is; so the fanboy who confessed, and is also Mark’s muse, happens to be a Cupid by the name of Haechan.

“I’m who’s what now?”