1.1

Two Percent Off

Haechan is the best of the best when it comes to what he does and that’s make love... happen between other people, that is. As a Cupid, blessed by and working under the goddess Aphrodite, Haechan’s job is to find two people and make them fall in love with each other. It’s simple.

And easy, might he add. The hard part is making sure the couple stays in love. Contrary to popular belief, Cupids just don’t shoot it and boot it. All lovers face obstacles and it’s the Cupid’s job to make sure the couple has the tools to face them WITHOUT his help.

Besides, he’s one of the few Cupids still employed that can boast a near perfect 100% success rate. That -2% time was a total fluke, though, and no one is allowed to talk about that.

It makes sense in hindsight, he supposes, why he’s the Cupid tasked with the stopping the latest Anti-Cupid tipping the balance in the favor of Hades’. His success rate gives a lot of people hope which in turn gives the higher ups somebody to use as their martyr. It’s a set up.

Sure, it’s a bit bogus, but Haechan’s always liked a challenge. Just how hard could it be to make an Antique fall in love anyway? His predecessors may have struggled, but they succeeded nonetheless! He, himself, would be no different, Haechan concludes. This could be fun!

Haechan’s never really dabbled in human affairs other than when he’s absolutely had to, so he isn’t exactly the most up-to-date with the hot and trending, but even with his head in the Clouds, he’s heard a lot of this Antique, a popular idol boy or something along those lines.

And if there one was thing he’s learned about idols over the years is that everybody loves them, and they return those feelings far and between. But Haechan is determined—excited, even—when he’s handed the Antique’s profile.

“This is him?” he asks with a strange amusement.

He studies the notes on the boy named Mark Lee. He’s young, incredibly talented, and surprisingly handsome for someone contributing to a great imbalance in the world.

“Shouldn’t be too difficult,” Haechan declares. He packs the profile along with his bow and arrows and sets out.

The picture really doesn’t do Mark Lee justice, Haechan observes. His first time seeing him in person is at one of his group’s fan meets, one he only gets into because a woman he’s matched in the past is a former fan site owner for BnB. She gifts him a ticket out of gratitude.

At the fan meet, Haechan is pretty sure he’s the only guy there and not that he cares what anyone thinks, but like it’s kinda hard to ignore the looks, LoOkS, and LOOKS™️ he receives just for breathing. To say the least, he stands out.

And normally, dyed hair will make you stand out on your own but that combined with his... stylistic clothing, he’s almost certain some of the fans there are wondering if he’s like an idol himself! Whenever he shifts in his seat, their eyes are on him. It’s annoying.

When it comes to the ‘fan meeting’ portion of the ‘fan meet event’, Haechan is relieved. Humans are strange creatures in the presence of their idols and the quicker he could talk to Mark, the quicker he could leave.

Mark is at the end of the table so Haechan has to bull his way through the other members until he can get to him. The members try their best to mask their surprise at seeing a male fan at one of their events, but they’re just as a warm as they’d normally be to a fan.

Still, Haechan’s glad when he makes it through the last one before Mark.

“Hi, how are you?” Mark asks cheerily. His tone is not what you would expect for an Antique.

“I’m good?”

“That’s good! And what would you like from me today?”

Haechan doesn’t know why he freezes.

It’s almost comical that way he does so (But mostly uncharacteristic). The look he has on his face is probably the reason Mark laughs. Haechan figures he sees awestruck expressions on a daily basis as an idol, but they must never get old.

“I’m going to make you fall in love.”

As soon as Haechan blurts it, he feels his cheeks reddening to match the lip prints on his jacket.

Mark on the other hand is rendered speechless. If Haechan wasn’t mentally screaming at his sudden outburst, he would laugh because oh how the fan meet tables have turned.

The two awkwardly stare at each other in flabbergasted silence until the security pushes Haechan along. Haechan walks slowly back to his seat, wondering just what the hell happened back there. Haechan almost never got performance anxiety. Well, there was the 2% talking again.

Haechan is too wrapped up in his thoughts to notice Mark’s feverish glances being sent his way. The idol could barely focus on the fans in front of him, which s of course noticed, but they couldn’t pinpoint why so there was nothing they could do.

The fan meet ends with BnB performing one of their recent songs, but Haechan leaves midway after Mark’s solo rap performance. Mark’s eyes follow him until he’s gone. The encounter sparks Mark’s next song-charting hit “Outburst” and everyone is clueless of his muse.

Meanwhile, after that incident, Haechan takes an L on the assignment and passes it off onto someone else for a while or at least until he can figure out why he got newborn jitters. His 2% failure rate ends up staying the same if you don’t round up.