Chapter 1

Moving Forward

Story and cover art created by Kyren_Rayne on AsianFanfics.

Permission has not been given to post elsewhere.

 

Nayoung swirled the tea in her mug as she absentmindedly listened to Hyeyeon go on about some new group that would be debuting in the Fall.

From across the table, she was admiring her daughter.

Hyeyeon was so mature for her age, but when she got started on something that she was passionate about, especially idols, she instantly brightened up.

Seeing her so happy made Nayoung happy as well.

“What are you smiling about?”

Nayoung took a sip of her tea before resting the cup beside her plate.

“I’m just glad that you’ve found something that you’re passionate about. I enjoy seeing you happy.”

Hyeyeon’s cheeks flushed slightly as she moved to poke at some food on her plate.

“I’m not that passionate about it,” she mumbled, “I just like music.”

The older woman laughed, still smiling widely.

“Have you ever thought about pursuing a performing career? You seem to really be into this stuff.”

Hyeyeon quickly shot up again, and through a mouthful of Japchae, responded excitedly.

“I don’t really think that it’s something I’d like to do. It’s a lot of work and hard to have a successful long-term career. My friend Mina is thinking about becoming a trainee though. She really enjoys music and singing. Plus she’s really good at rapping as well.”

“Mina?” Nayoung wiped gently with a cloth napkin, “I don’t think I’ve heard you mention her before. Is she a new friend?”

“Oh, I met her in school last year,” Hyeyeon tilted her head a bit, “I guess I only told Mom about it.”

Ouch.

To know that there were things that she told Sejeong, but not her was a bit disheartening.

Nayoung cleared , trying not to show that she was hurt.

“Um, well, is she a close friend? Maybe you could have her over tomorrow if you’d like.”

“Hey, that sounds fun!” The younger girl stood from her spot at the table and began gathering her dishes, but Nayoung quickly swooped in to take them from her, “Thanks, Mom.”

They shared a brief smile before Nayoung headed to the kitchen, Hyeyeon tailing her.

“It’s no biggie. I just want you to have fun while you’re here,” she rinsed the dishes before beginning to put them into the dishwasher, “Plus it means that I’ll get to meet some of your friends. I haven’t really had the opportunity to do that before.”

“I’ll talk to her and let you know what she says.”

Nayoung placed her palm on her daughter’s head lovingly, “Sounds good.”

Suddenly her cell phone buzzed in her pocket.

She let her hand slide down to Hyeyeon’s shoulder and then sighed, “I guess I’m going to call it an early night. Unless there was something in particular you wanted to do tonight, we should both probably get some rest for tomorrow.”

The smaller girl simply nodded before wrapping her arms around her mother.

“Goodnight. I love you, Mom.”

It caught Nayoung somewhat off-guard.

But she just accepted it, pulling Hyeyeon tighter against her chest.

“I love you, too, sweetie. I’ll see you in the morning,” they parted with a smile, “Goodnight.”

Nayoung remained in the kitchen, watching Hyeyeon retreat to her room before heading to her own.

She quickly changed into some shorts and a large t-shirt, and then settled onto her bed to finally check her cell phone.

There was a text from her boss.

Call me.

So she immediately did so.

“Nayoung,” a stern voice answered.

“Good evening, President Shin. If you’re calling about the documents from the Lee account, I dropped them off with your secretary before I left today. They should all be in order, but-”

“Mm, you know you can call me Hana,” she paused as if expecting Nayoung to reply, “I miss you. Would you be able to come by for some overtime tonight?”

Nayoung sighed at her sensual tone.

“Hana, my daughter's over right now.”

“But I’m lonely,” Nayoung could hear the pout in her voice, “Very lonely. Come on, Na. It’s been too long since we’ve last seen each other.”

Nayoung bit her lip before glancing at her bedroom door.

Hyeyeon should have been in bed already, but she’d still feel guilty for leaving.

“Judging from your silence, I’d say you’re interested. The door will be unlocked. I expect you here in fifteen.”

The call abruptly ended.

Nayoung sighed again as she stood to grab her purse.

She didn’t bother changing back into her street clothes.

They’d be gone soon anyway…

On her way out of the house, she passed Hyeyeon’s bedroom and her guilt seemed to multiply by two hundred percent.

She stopped to knock gently against her daughter’s door a couple of times, pressing her ear to the wood to listen for a response.

“Come in!”

“Hey,” Nayoung popped her head in through the cracked door, “I just wanted to let you know that I have to step out for some work stuff for a minute. I’ll be back a bit later tonight though. Make sure to call if you need anything.”

Hyeyeon nodded again, smiling weakly at her mother.

“Okay, I’ll see you later. Love you.”

“I love you, too.”

With that, she exited the room, pulling the door shut after her, and headed out for her car.

When Nayoung settled into her car, she felt even worse.

She knew Hyeyeon knew she wasn’t going to work.

She wasn’t an idiot.

What was worse was that Nayoung knew this, yet still didn’t tell Hana no.

A harsh breath escaped Nayoung’s mouth, attempting to rid herself of the tightness in her chest.

The trip to Hana’s house was short, as they only lived a few blocks from each other.

Once out of her car, she stood in the chilled air for a moment, still contemplating whether to go in or not.

Before she could convince herself to do anything, though, the door opened in front of her.

She was greeted by Hana in an expensive-looking, black-lace, silk robe.

“Ah, Nayoung. You made it,” she took the younger woman’s hand and guided her inside, “Head upstairs to the bedroom. I’ll grab us some drinks and then meet you up there,” Hana casually pressed her lips to Nayoung’s, “You still prefer red wine to white, yeah?”

Nayoung growled as she roughly tugged Hana back to her by the collar of her robe.

She was frustrated with herself for choosing Hana over Hyeyeon and wanted to take it out on someone.

A while later the two were lying on Hana’s huge bed, covered by nothing but soft, red sheets.

The smaller girl had her head propped up on her elbow so she could face Nayoung, while her other hand was gently caressing Nayoung’s cheek.

“Thanks for coming over…I missed you.”

Nayoung sighed, leaning into Hana’s warmth.

Hana was the closest thing to a relationship that she’d had since the divorce.

Neither one of them were particularly good with feelings, so their arrangement worked for both of them.

They were essentially dating, but there were no real strings attached.

And that’s how Nayoung liked it.

“Hyeyeon’s new friend is coming over tomorrow,” the younger woman stated flatly.

“That’s good. She must be happy to see you again…I’m still really sorry about what happened last time she came to your place.”

Ignoring the president’s apology, Nayoung continued, “She told Sejeong about this girl, but not me.”

The black-haired girl leaned down to press a tender kiss to Nayoung’s lips.

“She sees Sejeong more often than she does you. It makes sense that she’d mention more things to her,” their lips found each other’s again, “It doesn’t mean she doesn’t love you. It probably just slipped her mind by the time she came to visit.”

“I guess,” she rolled over to fully face her elder, “Can we just go again please?”

Hana could see tears pricking at Nayoung’s eyes.

She knew it would be better to talk about what was bothering her, but the other girl would just deny anything being wrong and push for them to have again.

She always did.

She hated feeling vulnerable.

So Hana saved them the trouble and simply gave in to her.

“Yeah,” Hana shifted to wrap her arms around Nayoung’s waist, “Okay.”

The next thing Nayoung knew, she was stretching and waking up.

She glanced at the clock hanging above the bedroom entryway.

6:45 AM.

“,” she breathed out.

She had told Hyeyeon she’d be back last night.

“You okay?” Hana asked through a yawn.

“I have to go,” Nayoung stood and began quickly throwing on her clothes.

Hana stood to join her, grabbing her wrist before she could leave.

“I’ll see you later?” a lingering kiss found Nayoung’s lips.

“Yeah.”

Hana’s hand slipped back down to her side and just like that, Nayoung was gone.

On her way home, she stopped to grab coffees for her and Hyeyeon.

Maybe it would make up for her not being home.

When she got home, she attempted to slip back in unnoticed, hoping that Hyeyeon was still asleep.

However, as she was locking up, she noticed Hyeyeon standing in the kitchen, watching her.

“Um,” Nayoung tapped the tip of her shoe against the floor awkwardly, “Why are you up so early, sweetie?”

The corner of Hyeyeon’s mouth rose slightly in a halfhearted smile.

“Mom thinks it’s unproductive to sleep in past seven.”

“Well,” Nayoung held up the drink holder, “I got us coffee.”

The younger girl lifted a white mug, mirroring her mother, “I already made some.”

.

Walking closer, Nayoung set the drinks on the counter beside Hyeyeon.

“Look, I’m sorry. I know you’re not stupid. I didn’t mean to come back so late. I feel horrible for leaving you at all. I just don’t-”

Hyeyeon placed a hand to her mother’s shoulder, silencing her.

“I’m not like Mom. You’re an adult, you can do whatever you want,” she pulled her arm away and sighed, “I was just worried that you weren’t going to be back in time to meet Mina.”

“Oh, Hyeyeon,” she pulled her daughter’s head against her chest, “You’re so mature. I love you so much.”

Hyeyeon groaned, her cheek chafing from being rubbed against Nayoung’s shirt.

“Please stop squishing me~.”

Sejeong did enough of that at home.

“Right,” Nayoung quickly released her daughter and stood upright to fix her clothing, “Sorry.”

A light chuckled escaped Hyeyeon’s lips.

“It’s okay,” she took a sip of coffee, “Anyway, Mina said that she’d be over around nine, if that’s okay with you.”

“Of course.”

“Please promise you’ll clean yourself up before she gets over…”

Heat flooded Nayoung’s cheeks as she remembered Hana’s hands on her the previous night.

“Right,” she repeated, “Sorry.”

 

A/N: I had this idea a LONG time ago (which is why Hyeyeon is still a character. I feel weird writing about her now that she’s no longer an idol), but just got around to finishing the beginning of it. I promise the chapters will get more interesting once the actual story gets started. Hopefully you guys will stick around for that lol. Anyway, thanks for reading. I start university again tomorrow, but I will try to update this as often as possible :)