Introduction

Moving Forward

Story and cover art created by Kyren_Rayne on AsianFanfics.

Permission has not been given to post elsewhere.

 

"I know, I know," Nayoung grumbled into her cell phone as she struggled with unlocking her front door.

"Well," Sejeong said on the other end, "You didn't seem to know last time it was your turn to see Hyeyeon."

Nayoung sighed, finally getting the door open.

She immediately made her way into her bedroom, setting her phone on her vanity and putting it on speaker before beginning to change out of her work clothes.

"Look, I already said I was sorry for that. My assistant marked the wrong day in my calendar and-"

"There is literally no excuse for our daughter to have to see your one-night stand leaving your bedroom!"

"God. Get over yourself, Sejeong. Hyeyeon is a teenager. It's not that big of a deal. It's not like she walked in on us ing or something," she ran a frustrated hand through her hair, "I don't know why I ever married you."

"Yeah, I know. That's why we're divorced, you -"

Suddenly Nayoung heard rustling over the phone, then she could only faintly make out Sejeong's voice.

"No, honey. Everything is okay. I'll be dropping you off with your mother in a little bit. Just finish packing, okay, sweetheart?"

And then she returned to Nayoung, and her normal tone.

"Look, we don't have time for this. I'll have Hyeyeon by soon... She's excited to see you..."

There was a click and then silence.

Still in her underclothes, Nayoung huffed and threw herself down on the bed.

She loved their daughter, there was no denying that.

But Sejeong was a pill.

They had loved each other when they were younger, but things change.

People change.

Maybe deep down there was a part of her that still loved Sejeong.

She was the mother of their child after all.

But Nayoung was over it.

She had made a new life for herself.

She was successful, she still got to see Hyeyeon, and she was just fine with not falling in love again.

was better without feelings anyway.

Nayoung sighed once again before finally standing to make her way into her closet.

It was Friday afternoon, so normally she'd be in some sweatpants, but Hyeyeon and Sejeong would be over soon.

She had to look like she had her life together.

Which she did.

Or at least to an extent.

Nayoung settled on a pair of black skinny jeans and a white sweater.

“Classy, yet cute,” she mumbled to herself, smiling at her reflection in her vanity mirror.

As she made her way to her living room, she began to feel those butterflies that she got every time Hyeyeon came over.

Nayoung just wanted Hyeyeon to love her like she did Sejeong.

She knew her daughter did, but it was still hard.

With the teenager living with Sejeong, Nayoung felt she had to try harder to get Hyeyeon's approval.

She slouched down on her couch, anxiously awaiting Hyeyeon and her ex.

About twenty minutes later, there was a knock on her front door.

Nayoung knew it was Sejeong because for some ridiculous reason, she refused to just use the doorbell like everyone else.

God, she was a pain.

With that, Nayoung stood and made her way to the entrance of her home.

Before she pulled the door open, she flattened her hair one last time, making sure she looked presentable.

She put on a bright smile and opened the door.

"Hyeyeon, baby! How have you been?" She tugged the smaller girl into a hug, "I missed you."

Nayoung backed away, taking in her daughter's appearance.

It had only been 3 months, but that was still a long time to go without seeing your child.

It was decided that during the school year, Nayoung would see Hyeyeon for only a week every three months.

But Summer Break was much more lenient.

The teenager basically got to decide how she wanted to spend her time off.

Usually this meant spending a lot more time with Nayoung.

Hyeyeon wore a smile of her own, that had grown to look almost identical to Sejeong's over the years.

"I've been doing good. I just finished the semester with all A's!" She lowered her voice, "And I missed you, too, Mom."

Nayoung's heart skipped.

She missed her.

And she called her Mom.

A double kill.

"Well, we're going to have fun while you're with me. That's a promise."

Sejeong cleared .

"Nice to see you, too, Nayoung."

The tallest tossed a curt wave to her ex-wife.

"You, too."

Hyeyeon, sensing the never-ending tension between her parents, turned to Sejeong.

"I'm going to miss you, but I'll see you again next month. Don't worry about me."

Sejeong pressed her palms to Hyeyeon's face, squishing her cheeks a bit before covering her with kisses.

"Stay safe, sweetheart. I love you so much. I'll see you on the first, okay?"

Hyeyeon wriggled out of her mother's grasp.

"Okayyy," she chuckled, "Bye, Mom."

Sejeong gave her one last hug, nodded to Nayoung, and then left.

Nayoung smiled at her daughter.

"Let me take your bags to your room."

She grabbed the two suitcases from Hyeyeon and turned back into her house.

The smaller girl shut the door behind them, trailing behind her mother.

She didn't really understand why Nayoung bothered having a bedroom for her.

She was rarely over anyway.

And Nayoung had her own life.

Why bother keeping a bedroom for someone who was never over when you could do something much better with it?

Like maybe a home theater, or a library, or an art gallery.

Anything, but a boring old bedroom for your daughter who didn't even live with you.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

Hyeyeon looked up to see Nayoung staring at her, her brow creased.

"Oh, nothing. Sorry. I was just thinking."

Nayoung pressed a gentle hand to Hyeyeon's arm.

"Sejeong can't be that far away yet. If you don't want to stay with me, don't feel obligated to. We can call her and ask her to come back if you want."

Hyeyeon shook her head furiously.

"No! That's not it..."

"Ah," Nayoung grinned, "Good. Because I really enjoy having you over."

 

A/N: This is going to eventually evolve into a Nayoung x Mina story, though it may take a bit of time to get started. There may also still be some side storylines with the other members, but I haven’t really decided yet. I just needed to establish some background info, so I can start the actual story lol. The first actual chapter is going to pick up after it has already been a couple of weeks of Hyeyeon staying with Nayoung again, so they are more comfortable “living” with each other.