prologue: the root of the problem

the fundamentals of a heist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a relative measure of silence permeated the room, with the only sound being the clacking of a keyboard as it echoed against the metal walls, the set of fingers swiftly breezing against the keyboard, eyes trained only on the computer screen as it presented words to type. the amount of effort—or lack thereof—the owner needed to exert was minimal, as they computed the words on the pixelated apparatus and reiterated them before pressing the space button and repeating the process once more.

"type faster, baby jang," a voice commanded, sparking the ire of the person in question as their vision remained affixed onto the screen.

"well, i'm going as fast as i humanly can, you ing cretin," the voice snapped harshly, ignoring the other eyes on the timer on the side of the typing space as every second diminished, with the last second fading just as the tester pressed the space bar. a series of numbers in bright colors appeared onto the screen following the automated calculating of the program; "ninety-six words per minute," a spectator read, resulting in ecstatic cheers and a relieved sigh from the typer themselves.

"as expected," one of the members praised as he lounged against the worn beanbag chair located near the television, "baby jang completely and utterly eradicates any typing record we had in this household."

"it wouldn't necessarily be the destruction of a record if you guys never stood a chance against me, in the first place," the person returned veridically, earning a round of bemoans and groans from the others.

"typical jang qian to gloat about her success," the same boy commented, wincing as she reproached him with a punctual smack on the head with the nearby pillow she threw from her position on the office chair.

"again—it wouldn't be regarded gloating when I haven't seen any of you break anywhere past thirty-two words per minute, which i think i'd view as disappointing since I am in the presence of a man who plays computer games—mr. jing haoran," qian remarked pointedly.

"aside from your wounded pride, haoran, we have more important matters to handle," a calm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter