The Move

Scare Me, Love Me

“Welcome ba… um, are you okay?” Son Naeun found her own voice trailing off when she caught sight of her friend’s face, her skin tone paler than usual.

 

“I um, she just- I don’t really…”

 

“I’ll… go ahead and take that as a solid ‘no’.”

 

 

 

Park Chorong hated her cowardly self as she would get anxious far too easily, even from the things other people could most likely ignore with ease.

However, unfortunately, ‘panic’ was simply her go-to response for any unexpected occurrences, and it was safe to say that she had not expected for herself to run into a certain someone during her quick lunch-purchasing trip at the cafeteria.

 

Also, she really should start paying attention to her surroundings a bit more, but that lesson was yet to be learnt.

 

 

She was daydreaming about going home as she stood there in line, a sandwich in one hand and her student card in the other.

She didn’t even manage to notice the lingering presence beside her until the said-presence finally made a move, grabbing onto her wrist just as she was about to hand over her ID card to pay for her desired item.

 

A tiny yelp escaped her lips instantly, though it took her a bit to finally turn her head towards the other body, hesitant to meet the eyes of the culprit’s.

Yoon Bomi, however, wasn’t looking at her.

 

 

“Here, ahjumma.” the culprit said coolly while giving the confused staff a ₩10,000 bill.

She was still clinging onto Chorong’s limb with her other hand as she waited for her change, her heartbeat pounding against her chest.

Chorong didn’t dare to move a single muscle, with only her eyeballs trembling uncontrollably.

 

Once the transaction was completed, Yoon Bomi swiftly took hold of Chorong’s lunch and led her away from the queue, ignoring all the curious gazes.

It was only when they’ve left busy cafeteria that she released her prey’s soft hand, the two of them now loitering next to the windows of the hallway.

Chorong was petrified to the point of freezing once again, not even daring to step a foot aside despite of wanting to be as far away from the scary-looking delinquent as possible. Bomi, on the other hand, tried her very best to appear as gentle as she possibly could.

 

 

“It seems like you have an appetite of a sparrow.” she broke the silence with small talk, “Are you sure this is enough? I can get you more if you want.”

 

“I-I…” the timid one parted her lips to speak, only to remain far too stunned to function properly; she had no clue to how she managed to end up in such a situation, even when she had prayed to Mother Mary to never cross paths with the exact girl currently standing right in front of herself.

 

 

It took an entire minute for Park Chorong to finally give some sort of a response, with her head shaking ever so subtly while Bomi’s nodded in return.

It was evident that not much of a conversation was going to happen, hence the troublemaker gave up on the thought and finally remembered to hand over the girl’s free lunch, practically shoving it into her palms.

 

“Well then, enjoy your meal.” she gave her another smile before turning her back towards her, preparing to take her leave… though right before she started to walk away, she glanced back at her crush one last time and boldly flashed a charming smile, one that widened the other girl’s eyes.

 

 

“I’ll see you around, Chorong-ah.”

 

 

And thus Park Chorong stared at Yoon Bomi’s retreating backside in pure horror.

 

 


 

 

“Oh wow, what a coincidence.”

 

Naeun’s ears instantly perked up upon hearing the semi-familiar voice that was followed by some light footsteps.

It was that deep, velvety voice she had shocked herself by secretly yearning for, even though that was the exact opposite of what she had intended.

Her initial plan was for her and her close friend to never come in contact with either of the delinquent duo, yet here she was, standing before a vending machine and accomplishing the exact opposite.

 

By responding to the female who was now standing right behind of herself, she would be going against all of her own words.

She would become a traitor to herself and turn into the world’s biggest hypocrite...

 

 

… Yet she still did it.

 

 

“Still need something from me, Jung Eunji?” she proceeded to cross her arms before her chest, putting on an act as if she was annoyed by the girl’s random appearance. “I’ve said everything I wanted to say during our last meeting, so I’m confused to why you’re here.”

 

“Oh, you remembered my name! I’m touched.” the eye-smiling student instantly changed the topic and smirked along with her tease, making Naeun’s cheeks heat up ever so slightly. “I remember yours too, Just Naeun. I must say, it sure is a unique surname.”

 

 

The cold-looking girl had to take a moment before she finally understood the joke.

She was now at a risk of laughing out loud, and she would rather not expose herself.

 

However, she slowly recognised the benefits of getting along with the girl before her.

It was an alternative route to her ultimate goal, and it may just work in her favour as well as assisting Jung Eunji with her best friend’s issue.

It could be a win-win situation… that is, if she could trust her.

 

 

Well, lifes always full with risks.” she pondered to herself quietly, “Perhaps this is a moment to take one.

 

 

Hence, after speedily running things through her mind, the proper student took in a deep breath to maintain her composure.

She then ultimately gave in and gifted the girl a short and monotonous response. “Son.”

 

 

“Hmm?”

 

“It’s Son.”

 

“Who’s son?”

 

 

That got her before she could stop herself.

Naeun giggled softly from the girl’s silliness and kindly elaborated.

 

 

“My name is Son Naeun.”

 

 

Surprised by the sudden change in Naeun’s attitude, it was Eunji’s turn to spend some time to make sense of what the other person was talking about.

She managed to solve it within a couple of seconds, and as soon as she did so, a big grin was automatically arched out of her lips.

 

 

“Oh, what’s this? Are you actually opening up to me?” she marvelled with raised eyebrows, “I thought you hated my guts.”

 

“I did at first, but I also feel remorseful for what I’ve said to you.” Naeun confessed, though she quickly added another sentence. “But this doesn’t mean I’m giving you permission to play Cupid right away. It’s not like you’ve earned my complete trust just yet.”

 

“Aw, and I came with that topic in mind, too.” Eunji pouted, her hands reaching into her blazer pocket for her wallet. “Say, what were you going to get?”

 

Naeun turned towards the machine in front of them, having almost forgotten why she was standing there in the first place. “Um, it’s none of your business?”

 

“Oof, still blunt with your words, I see.” the girl managed to laugh it off while taking out some coins, “I just want to treat you to a drink, that’s all.”

 

“And why would you do that?”

 

 

“To slowly prove to you that I’m not some kind of an uncivilised thug.”

 

 

There was a slight pause in between their conversation, but it was soon filled by Son Naeun’s light hums.

Eunji’s words truly seemed genuine, plus she didn’t see why she should refuse the random offer.

It was a free drink, after-all.

 

 

 

“… One lemon iced tea, please.”