The Tension

Scare Me, Love Me

The night was calm, but within two particular girls’ hearts it was anything but that.

 

One had her jaw clenched in a mixture of frustration and regret, while the other battled against the suffocating atmosphere in absolute silence.

Jung Eunji made sure her friend had enough time to somewhat cool herself down before she even dared to speak a word.

 

 

“What on Earth happened back there, man?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“You didn’t even introduce yourself, did you?”

 

“Sure didn’t.”

 

“And you still went straight for the kill?”

 

“I suppose I did.”

 

“Girl- that was probably the worst move out of everything you could’ve don-”

 

 

“I know I screwed up, alright?!” Yoon Bomi suddenly snapped and turned toward her best friend, causing the girl to flinch slightly in her spot. “I’m telling you I have no idea to why I did that either, so stop rubbing salt into my wounds, for God’s sake! You’re not ing helping!”

 

 

The silence within their surroundings was now replaced by heavy breathing, the duo currently having a tense stare-off.

Jung Eunji was now feeling apologetic for her wrong choice of comments, thinking she must’ve accidentally damaged their friendship, though in reality Yoon Bomi was feeling apologetic as well; her anger wasn’t actually aimed at the concerned female, and instead it was meant for herself.

 

There were many instances where Bomi’s choice of action backfired against herself, yet the wound from this morning was by far the most painful and embarrassing one to date. She was usually capable of shaking it off and simply move on with her life… but not this time.

It’s been a while since she felt so defeated.

 

 

Jung Eunji stared at her bestie’s lowering head, her heart aching from both sympathy and dejection.

Her friend was the toughest, most I-don’t-give-a- individual she had ever met throughout her entire life, so to witness the exact same person so traumatised and overwhelmed by a single sentence she had said… it was definitely a hard sight to take in.

 

 

“I’m sorry, Bomi-ah…” she broke the heavy silence with a soft huff, scratching the back of her neck. “I’m just… frustrated for you. You weren’t acting like your usual self, and I know you didn’t mean to scare her away with a misfire-”

 

“Yeah, but it happened.” Bomi spat back, still unstable from her emotions. “I’ve ruined all my chances by acting like a total ing idiot.”

 

“Come on, you shouldn’t give up this easily.”

 

“What, you want me to go out there and embarrass myself again?”

 

“You know that’s not what I-”

 

 

“This was stupid anyways- all of it!” the heartbroken female groaned without giving her friend the chance to finish, ruffling her dark locks into a mess as she proceeded to send a pebble flying with her foot. “It was stupid of me to even think about giving romance a go, so now I’m getting punished for trying. Lesson bloody learnt. End of story.”

 

 

The false sound of certainty was obvious to Jung Eunji’s ears, knowing how the leather-wearing student was simply trying to mask way her sorrow.

It made her stare deeply into her friend’s dark pupils, analysing each and every glisten of moonlight that’s reflecting off of her eyeballs.

She could tell, no matter how abrupt Yoon Bomi’s feelings were developed nor how absurd their situation truly was, it was sincere.

 

 

There was no way for Jung Eunji to dismiss such a discovery.

She knew she must do something about this matter.

 

Anything at all.

 

 


 

 

“Hey, feisty girl.”

 

“What the- why are you here?”

 

“To talk to you, of course.”

 

“Well, the last time we had a talk, your friend made mine extremely uncomfortable.”

 

“And that’s exactly why I’m here.”

 

 

Son Naeun immediately frowned when a hand was extended towards her, with Jung Eunji arching out two crescent moons with her eyes.

It took three seconds for her friendly gesture to be hesitantly accepted, the cold-looking female still sceptical about her approach.

 

 

“Exactly what are you trying to do here?”

 

“Introduce myself- as it was something my friend failed to do last time.”

 

 

Jung Eunji chuckled when the hand within her own retracted away, quite fascinated by the girl before her.

To convince her would be quite the challenge… but Eunji loved challenges.

 

 

“My name’s Jung Eunji, and I’m here to ask for your help.”

 

“Help? On what?”

 

“Hey, you’re supposed to introduce yourself back!”

 

 

With her eyes rolling beneath her closed eyelids, Naeun let out an annoyed sigh.

However, she complied and forced herself to make eye-contact with the peculiar student again. “I’m Naeun.”

 

 

“Surname?”

 

“Unless you’re a police officer, it’s none of your business.”

 

“Ouch, are you always this aggressive to others?”

 

“Look, I don’t know you nor do I trust you. I’m just Naeun, so can you just tell me what you need from me?”

 

 

The (once again) feisty response made Eunji raise a brow- but not in a negative manner.

She was delightfully surprised by the girl’s honesty, as most students would be too intimidated by her strong aura to have the guts to speak to her like that.

Son Naeun was definitely an interesting one.

 

 

“Well then, Just Naeun,” she couldn’t help but to joke, “I’m here to propose a plan.”

 

“About what?”

 

“It has something to do with my pal’s feelings for your pal-”

 

 

Ugh, just quit it already.”

 

 

Naeun had shot back at her so fast and harshly, Eunji found herself getting caught off-guard.

She blinked repeatedly with both of her eyebrows raised, trying to process what she had just heard but giving up soon afterwards. “Um… excuse me?”

 

 

“I said, quit it or else you’ll just be wasting your time.”

 

“Look, I know things started off a bit rough, but we can put that aside and-”

 

“We don’t want anything to do with people like you, okay, so please just leave us alone.”

 

 

Jung Eunji returned to blinking blankly, though this time rather than confusion, she was experiencing a massive wave of rage.

She dismissed Naeun’s jabs as jokes in the beginning, but she has crossed the line this time.

 

Hence, through her tightly gritted teeth, she hissed out slowly:

 

 

 

… What the did you just say?