The Realisation

Scare Me, Love Me

“Goddamn it Jung Eunji, I think you’ve cursed me.

 

“Ah, the voodoo doll is finally working?”

 

“The what.”

 

“Just kidding, but what do you mean by that?”

 

 

Yoon Bomi opened in an attempt to offer a reply, yet nothing came out of it.

She caught herself hesitating (an irregular behaviour for someone who’s usually fearless and trusted her instincts wholeheartedly) with all of her thoughts getting stuck as a lump in the middle of , suffocating her slowly. She was definitely not a fan of this new cowardly side of herself.

 

The only other witness was also taken aback from the sight, though she remained patient in respect for the struggling girl.

She merely stared on as Bomi took in a lungful of air, breathing them out as timid words for only the sunset and her best friend to hear.

 

 

“I… I think I fell for her, that girl from last week.”

 

 

There was an undeniably heavy silence, though Jung Eunji’s reaction was by far the least expected one Bomi could imagine.

The girl merely blinked and replied with an undertone of ‘no sh*t, Sherlock’, completely unfazed by what she just heard.

 

 

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure the entire hallway heard that thud.”

 

 

Yoon Bomi had to physically face-palm herself (hard enough to leave a slight handprint) in order to recover from her friend’s reply.

Jung Eunji, once again, confirmed the fact that she was definitely the cheekier one out of the two. “Come on, that was a good one.”

 

“Remind me why I’m friends with you again?”

 

“Pfft, you love me and you know it.”

 

“Well, right now I know I’d love to smack you across the back of your head.” Bomi grumbled as they continued their aimless stroll along the sidewalk, trying to enjoy their remaining freedom after school before either of their parents interrupt them with a curfew text. “It’s ing embarrassing for me to even talk about this out loud, but I’m being serious here, alright?!”

 

 

There was a slight pause in between their dialogue as Bomi took in a some deep breaths, regretting that she raised her volume a bit louder than intended.

The eye-smiling female chuckled from the sight of her friend’s self-reflection, giving her a light nudge as a form of both the acceptance of Bomi’s apology and her own apology. “I was just trying to help you relax a bit, since I know your late realisation was going to take a toll on your nerves.”

 

Bomi widened her eyes as she felt her heart skip a beat. “Wait- how did you know? I’ve never spoken a word about that incident after it happened.”

 

“You should check yourself in the mirror a bit more, pal. Your zoned-out face speaks a thousand words.”

 

“Huh? What zoned-out face are you talking about?”

 

“Honey, just two days ago Ms. Kim called you out in Maths by asking you what 3 + 5 is, and you shouted ‘12’ with your entire chest all because Sungjae whispered it into your ear.”

 

“Wha- that son of a b*tch!”

 

“You’re… kind of missing the point here, buddy.”

 

 

The girls found themselves arriving at a familiar location despite of strolling around without a destination in mind, their legs having formed the habit.

They decided to take a quick break from all the walking by resting near the ledge of the hilltop, with Eunji leaning her back against the wooden railing while Bomi rested her forearms above it, allowing the view to soothe her pounding head.

 

 

“Well, now what?” Eunji broke the brief silence first, making the other raise a brow.

 

“Uh, ‘now what’ what?”

 

“What are you going to do about your new discovery?”

 

 

The girl in the leather jacket glanced up towards the darkening sky, letting a deep sigh escape past her trembling lips.

For the first time in a long time, she was completely lost on what to do. “I… I don’t know. Isn’t it weird to fall for someone this fast?”

 

“Of course not. Why do you think the phrase ‘love at first sight’ exists?” the other comforted as she turned herself around, now savouring the scenery alongside of her friend. “The heart wants what it wants, even if it’s a random chick that crashed straight into your blind at school.”

 

“But still, what am I actually supposed to do?” Bomi frowned in frustration as her hand ruffled her dark locks into a mess, “I don’t know a single thing about her other than what she looks like- which makes me sound like I’m only into her for her appearance and I don’t want to sound like a douchebag!”

 

 

Eunji forced herself to maintain a neutral face and placed a warm palm onto her friend’s shoulder, shaking slightly from suppressing all her laughter.

She was trying her very best to prevent herself from throwing another jab at her good friend, but the following words slipped out of before she could contain them. “Don’t sweat it Bomi. With her wearing the same uniform as us, hunting her down at school will be a piece of cake… and also, you don’t sound like a douchebag… though you sure look like one.”

 

“You’re making me sound as if I’m some sort of a wild feline on a hunt for fresh meat…” the love-struck one rolled her eyes as dramatically as she possibly could, all the while punching her best friend on the arm for her not-so-subtle diss. “… And you might want to start checking yourself in the mirror a bit more too, .”

 

She should’ve given her a harsh kick while she was at it though, since Jung Eunji was already prepared to risk it all by following up her sentence without a single hint of hesitation nor regret; it was far too difficult for the cheeky girl to resist the urge, especially when such a golden opportunity was practically dangling before her face.

 

 

 

“I mean…” she flashed one last smirk, “… wouldn’t you want a taste, big girl?”

 

 

 

And that was the cue for Yoon Bomi to start chasing her .