The Plan

Scare Me, Love Me

“Spill it out, Jung Eunji.”

 

“What is there to spill, my dear Bomi? Tears of joy for your blessed presence?”

 

 

“Don’t act stupid with me now.” the older grumbled as her fingers tapped rapidly on the buttons, letting out her frustration out onto the poor arcade machine before cussing at the sight of her character losing to Eunji’s. “I can tell you’re hiding something from me, and you know we’ve made a promise to not keep secrets from each other. Ever.”

 

 

Jung Eunji’s entire body froze before retracting the hand that was just about to insert another coin into the game slot, a chuckle escaping past her lips.

She knew all too well about how feisty Bomi could become when she’s anxious, hence she knew this wasn’t the moment to be pushing her patience.

 

 

“Alright buddy, if you want to talk, we’ll have to go elsewhere. This place is too damn loud.”

 

“Fine by me.”

 

 


 

 

The duo relocated themselves to another familiar location of theirs, the unspoken yet designated spot for all of their heartfelt conversations.

A chilly breeze welcomed them to the Han River, a place that would silently embrace their rants, concerns, and their deepest, darkest secrets with open arms.

 

 

“Before you caught up to us, Just Naeun was spilling some important tea to me.”

 

“Ju- Just Naeun?”

 

“Yeah, that’s what she told me when I asked for her full name. She said she’s just Naeun.”

 

“You’re mad stupid, but go on I guess.”

 

 

The younger chuckled louder as they took a seat onto the stone stairways, allowing themselves the time to admire the calming view before them; it was such a scenery that would successfully persuade people into spilling out their hearts, too mesmerised by its beauty to contain their emotions.

This evening, it was aiming to assist Yoon Bomi with releasing hers.

 

 

“So apparently we look like a pair of hooligans.”

 

“Well I mean, we sure don’t look like a pair of ing angels.”

 

“Didn’t expect for you to accept that without a fight, but alrighty then.”

 

“Just get to the point, goddamn it.”

 

“Naeun said she’s scared of you.”

 

 

Yoon Bomi blinked before making a face that clearly expressed ‘what the absolute ’.

Jung Eunji could only raise an eyebrow back at her, replying a silent ‘what?’.

 

 

“Bruh, that defensive b*tch looks way scarier than me!”

 

“Oh no, I didn’t mean her.” the other wagged her index finger.

 

“Then who the heck are you talking about?”

 

“Park Chorong- apparently you scare her sh*tless.”

 

 

The older remained silent as she proceeded those words, her friend giving her all the time she needed.

Eunji proceeded to hum out a soft tune to kill some time, her melody being the only audible sound present within their current surroundings-

That is, until Bomi made a contribution with the shuffling of her leather jacket, retrieving a packet of cigarettes from her pocket with a pair of trembling hands. She popped one in between her lips before offering another to the girl beside her, who politely declined with a slight shake of her head.

 

 

“Quitting?” she asked before inhaling a big lungful, soon puffing out a foggy cloud of smoke.

 

“In progress, since I don’t want it to damage my vocals any further.”

 

“What, are you subtly dissing my voice?”

 

“I’m talking about my dream of becoming a singer, pabo.” Eunji answered with a small grin, “I find your husky voice to be quite charming, actually.”

 

“Well it’s obviously not enough to charm a certain someone.”

 

Jung Eunj’s smile faded into a faint pout while Bomi took another drag of her cig, now ruffling her own hair slightly. “Come on, Bomi-ah… you had a bad start, alright? Plus, you’ve only said what, six words to her? She know’s nothing about the real Yoon Bomi just yet.”

 

“Then why is she scared of me already?”

 

“I mean-”

 

“Do I have a face of a serial killer? Was I born to look like some stupid- hooligan who repels people without even having to try?”

 

 

“Look, I’ve already scolded Naeun for judging us by our appearances, but just think about it for a second.” Eunji attempted to calm her friend down by grasping firmly onto the girl’s tensed up shoulder, “Both Naeun and Chorong look like a pair of model students, so of course they wouldn’t want to associate themselves with people who break the dress code on a daily basis. We’re on completely different ends of the spectrum, as if we’re never meant to cross paths nor talk to one another in the first place!”

 

“Hey, I got permission to dress however the hell I want as long as 70% of the original uniform is there!” Bomi argued back while shoving the hand off of herself, only to receive a sigh and a quick smack on the back of her head. “Yah- what was that for, you asshat?!”

 

 

“You’re not getting my point, .”

 

“Then ing tell me in a straightforward manner, b*tch!”

 

“You just need to understand that your appearance is most likely a factor to why your crush is terrified of you, no matter if you like that fact or not.”

 

“So what are you suggesting?”

 

“Well… how about you try and prove that you’re not as scary as you seem?”

 

 

After pausing for a few seconds to think, Bomi raised her eyebrows before scoffing with a grin.

She inhaled another mouthful of tobacco and slowly exhaled, finally speaking up afterwards- but with a new sense of confidence in her behaviour. “Ha, that’ll be a piece of cake! All I need is for her to give me a chance to properly talk to her, I mean- people think I’m nice once they get to know me, right?”

 

Eunji immediately avoided her gaze while scratching her cheek awkwardly. “That’s uh… debatable.”

 

 

“Wha- the heck does that mean?!”

 

“Let’s be real here- we both know how feisty you can get when someone pisses you off.”

 

“Yeah, and that’s because they deserve it.”

 

“Bomi, you’ve snapped at people for breathing in your direction.”

 

“T-That’s when I was bleeding out of my !”

 

“So you’re basically saying… you’re barbarous for an entire week… once every month.”

 

“I… oh for ’s sake.”

 

 

Putting out her short cigarette with a few stomps of her foot, Yoon Bomi jumped up with her pupils practically ablaze with determination and confidence.

“You know what, I’ll prove them wrong- all of them!” she declared with a visible smirk, “I’m going to make Just Naeun eat her ing words by winning her best friend over, and even if they see me as some sort of a gangster, I’m going to be the most irresistible gangster they’ll ever meet!”

 

 

Jung Eunji smiled as she also pulled herself up, taking the time to thoroughly brush away the dust from her uniform skirt.

Although it was a gamble, it seemed like her tactic of bringing out her bestie’s competitive side was working perfectly.

 

Of course she wasn’t going to let the girl surrender with the weight of unjust discrimination still on her back.

Not without a proper fight, at least.

 

 

 

“Go get them, tiger.”