Chapter 9

truly,
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9

 

"Ahh, I'm so tired," I whined as soon as I entered the office.

It was already noon when I finally reached my desk because of a meeting with the editors earlier. I couldn’t help but notice my desk mate, Yena looking at me with mischievous grin plastered across her face.

I put down my notebook and pulled out my chair before sitting on it.

I glanced at her, "Is there any good news? Why are you smiling at me like that-

Yena's grin changed into a frown, "Yah Kwon Eunbi, is there something wrong with me smiling? Then do you want me to cry?"

I chuckled and patted her arm, "Are you thinking of something lewd?"

She rolled her eyes, "No! Great, you've ruined my mood, and now I don't want to tell you about it. Even if it is about you."

I laughed and grabbed her shoulder, "About me? Hey, Yena. Come on, I'm only joking tell me!"

"Tell me about it! Tell me, tell me!" I said, shaking her shoulder.

"Okay, okay! I'll tell you so stop it! Wow you really know how to get on someone's nerves.." Yena said, finally giving in.

I smiled in satisfaction, knowing that Yena can never be angry at me for too long.

"So, what's the news?" I asked, impatient.

She looked at me and her expression was serious, "There's a rumor going around the office."

"Rumor?"

She nodded, "I heard that our Head of Department likes you so much and she wants to you to join the fashion photography team,"

I looked at her, dumbfounded. "Huh?"

"You know... the elite ones in Marie Claire that gets to cover high class fashion shows locally and internationally," Yena explained.

I know the elite team she was talking about but I couldn't believe what she just said.

"Me? Joining the elite team? But I've only been working here for three months, you're telling me that I'm receiving promotion this fast? Yah Yena are you tricking me?" I asked in a breath.

Yena laughed, "Why should I trick you? It's real, Eunbi. Everyone in the office has been talking about it since this morning. One of our professional photographer jumped to CeCi because of their hefty offer so there's an opening now. There's a high chance that Madam Kang will break the news to you today."

"So, you're not lying to me? Th-this is real?" I asked, giving her a suspicious glare.

She sighed, "Just wait till she calls you then. There's someone in her office now, but I bet she will call you later."

I looked at Yena, still in doubt.

Yena nodded and smiled, "Believe it my friend. Congrats! You'll be living your dream soon!"

I looked at my friend's face, I know her long enough to know if she was lying and right now I'm sure she's not.

Her words were honest and sincere.

I couldn't contain my emotions and my mouth slowly curled up into a wide smile. I got up and wrapped my arms around Yena's neck embracing her in a tight hug.

"Eunbi! I can't breathe!" Yena said, gasping for air.

But despite her pleads for freedom, I still didn't let her go. My mood and confidence level was lifted tenfold by this news, after it was crushed yesterday in the brief meeting with Irene.

Finally, good things are happening to me.

I let Yena go after a while, when she said that she was choking for real. Her face almost turned blue by the lack of oxygen. I felt bad, so I promised to treat her to buffet lunch to stop her from whining about her near-death experience. She agreed in a heartbeat. Case closed.

"Eh, Eunbi, what happened to your face?" Yena suddenly asked.

I looked away, and pretended as if I didn't hear her. I knew she was talking about my bruised cheek, the result from the arrogant heiress slap yesterday. I don't want to talk to Yena about it, since I knew she will only nag me to leave Sakura.

But Yena refused to take silence as an answer and leaned closer to take a better look at my cheek.

"Looks like you've been hit. Did you get into a fight while drunk?" Yena asked, concern.

I nodded.

"Yes! I've joined a gang and we beat up people in the back alleys late at night." I replied sarcastically.

Yena broke into a laughing fit, as her imagination ran wild picturing me with leather jackets and baseball bat going around beating people up.

At least that distracted her.

Suddenly my phone beeped, telling me there's a new message. I picked it up and checked my inbox.


'Sakura'


My heart flutters just by reading her name.


'I've finished your portrait. Would you like me to drop it at your office?'


My mind quickly thought of a witty reply.


I want to meet you. I can't let you drew a painting of me and get away with it.


Send.


She replied it in less than a minute, and I was impressed by her texting skills.


'Sakura'

It's not a painting! Why would I draw you ?


I grinned.


Okay, then we meet this evening, at 5 in the park.


A minute later she replied,


Okay, see you there.


I grinned.


It's a date.


Send.


"Hey hey hey! Stop texting at work! Don't you want to join the elite team?" Yena interrupted.

I shrugged, "Hahaha! Jealous? Go text with your boyfriend then."

"Are you trying to rub it in my face? You know I'm single now!" Yena replied, offended.

Suddenly, the Head of Department's office door opened, causing everyone in the department to act busy. I stopped laughing immediately and begin typing gibberish on my laptop that wasn't even , while Yena was busily flipping an empty file.

"Let me walk you to the elevator," the Head of Department, Madam Kang said to someone.

"It's okay," another voice replied.

The voice sounded so familiar, and curiosity was getting a hold of me.


Could it be?


I slowly looked up from my blank laptop screen and saw a stylish and elegant young woman talking with my boss.

She turned around and looked at me. I had somehow expected this.

It was Irene Bae.

She glared at me before walking away with a smirk that was obviously directed at me. As if it was a warning that something bad is going to happen.

"Isn't that Irene Bae? What is she doing here?" Yena asked, whispering to me.

I froze.

"Kwon Eunbi-shi." Madam Kang suddenly called.

"Ye-yes!" I replied, shocked.

"Come see me in my office now."


**


Madam Kang walked to her desk but she didn't sit down. She turned to look at me with a serious expression. Whatever it is she's about to say, I'm sure it isn't about the promotion. I was preparing myself to be scolded anytime now even though I didn't do anything wrong.

"Kwon Eunbi-shi, starting today you won't be covering any outside events." She said, firm.

I didn't know what to say. I looked at her, confused by her words.

I gulped. "Madam Kang, what do you mean?"

"I will assign another photographer to help Choi Yena-shi to cover events. You don't have to do it anymore," she replied coldly.

I froze and for a moment I felt like my whole world was crumbling down. I'm not stupid, and I understood what she meant. What does it mean to be a photographer but not allowed to take photos?

I've just been demoted.

"But why?" I asked boldly. The word just slipped from my mouth.

She looked at me with creased eyebrows.

I gather my strength to continue, "Why is this so sudden? What did I do? Madam, you even said you liked my photos."

She nodded, "I do like your photos. In fact I like your energy at work, you are exactly the person we need, but..

.. why did you mess up with J.Estina?" She asked.

"J.Estina? When did I-

I paused.


Irene.


"It was your idea to conduct an interview with Irene Bae during the J.Estina product launch, right?" Madam Kang asked.

I nodded immediately, "Yes I did and it received great responses when it was published in th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter