two

A Bouquet of White Flowers

It was night time again and as usual I went to that house for the third time this week. Can't this day get any worst? Well, every day is a bad day for me though. I was just about to go upstairs when I heard her voice again. 

"Hello... Minjoo?" 

Her voice seemed hoarse tonight. She is holding two bottles of beer and is currently chugging one. 

"Hi, Chaewon." 

Greeting her back won't hurt. She looks like she's really nice after all. We stayed like that for a few minutes until Chaewon decided to break the silence.

"Why do they take the most important people in our life away from us? I didn't expected this to happen. I promised her that I would bring her to the hospital to get her checked. Now, my mom's dead. She didn't make it, I was too late. She's all that I have and now she's gone. T-This is so unfair! I did everything I can!" 

I was shocked by her sudden outburst. Chaewon was sobbing uncontrollably and I didn't know what to do. I just sat next to her as I gently tapped her back until she managed to calm down. It must be so hard for her, it looks like she really loves her mother. To give her comfort, I decided to tell her my own story. They say that it's much better to vent out on strangers, so I gave it a try and she did the same too. 

"My mom has a terrible disease. I had to find a job to pay for her medicine and to pay for my school fees. Life wasn't so easy, you know? I had to do everything all by myself. My father? I don't know where he is. I never saw him since I was a kid. Honestly, I'm so done with my life. I don't even know why the am I not dead yet. But, I'm proud of you for getting through all of that . You're a tough angel, Minjoo. You should be proud of yourself that you're still alive and talking to me right now." 

I chuckled on what Chaewon told me but who knew I would make it this far?

"Yah! Why are you laughing at what I said? Be proud of yourself just for once. By the way, do you have a job? Are you busy with something right now?" 

"Ah, I don't have a job. I was a cashier at the convenience store down town but I just got fired today." 

"Yeah? Do you need money or something? You can have mine." 

She grabbed thick piles of money from her pocket and gave them to me but I refused to accept it.

"No, it's fine Chaewon. You might need it more than me. I'll just find a job tomorrow."

"Nah, I don't need it, Minjoo. I already have a lot, what do you expect from being a hitwoman?" 

I was shocked by what Chaewon said. She  is a hitwoman? A person who kills another person. She kills. Oh god, what if I get caught by the police because of hanging out with her? 

"Yes, Minjoo. I kill people they assign me to kill. Minjoo, I'm not a bad person. Yes, I kill people but I do it for living and for my... mother. Just t-trust me, please." 

Honestly, I felt unsafe around her just now. I didn't asked any questions about her 'job'. I don't know why but it seems like this Chaewon girl had already gained my trust. Even though she kills people, I still see her as the pure and innocent looking Chaewon.