one

A Bouquet of White Flowers

It's that time of the night again where I go to the place that gives me comfort in the midst of my chaotic life. I immediately got outside of my car and I climbed up to the hills until an unfinished house came to my view. Grass and weeds had grown inside and outside of the house. If they only continued building this house, it would be beautiful, like the ones you see in the movies. I went upstairs just to take a look at the night sky and the city lights through the window as the cool night breeze brushed against my face. I lighted my cigarette and I gently blew the smoke out from my mouth. The stars were shining brightly like they always were. I was once a star too but I stopped shining. I was about to finish college with only a year left. I was about to fulfill my dreams of becoming a nurse. Life was going well for me until my parents abandoned me. They found out that I was in a relationship with a girl, they were against it and they threw me out. They gave me a chance to stay, only if I break up with her. I love her so much that I refused to do what they wanted but guess what? Life decided to play with me again. Two weeks after my parents found out about us, she died in an accident. Oh, how I miss her, she was the only one that's keeping me happy. Her smile and her childish energy that I often compare to a puppy, I miss that. I didn't went to her burial because I know that I wouldn't bear the pain. I was so empty that time, I had nowhere to go, I asked for my relative's help but they were told by my parents to ignore me and to refuse my beggings. That's when I learned how to live on my own, I realized that the only person that I have right now is myself. Yeah, I'm raising myself up but at the same time I'm also dragging it down. I stopped living in fear because I know that I have nothing to lose anymore because I already lost everything important to me. I don't even know if I can still go on with my life.

"It's cold here huh." 

I immediately turned my head to look for the owner of the voice. A girl wearing a hoodie was standing a few feet behind me. Why is she here? How did she found out about this place? 

"Chaewon, Kim Chaewon, but call me Chaewon instead. Do you perhaps have a lighter?" 

She was busy looking for something in her pockets. She seems to be a good person but I don't really care at all so I just tossed my lighter at her.

"Thanks! How about you? What's your name?" 

I didn't answered her question on purpose. Silence enveloped the two of us and the only thing that's making noise is the sound of crickets. After a few minutes, I heard her footsteps going downstairs. I sighed heavily.

"Minjoo, I'm Kim Minjoo." 

I heard her stop at her tracks when I said my name but she continued to leave.