four

A Bouquet of White Flowers

I woke up to my apartment that Chaewon had rented for me. It seems that I fell asleep yesterday and she drove me here. I saw a letter on top of the table.

"I'll return tomorrow, Minjoo. Don't be worried, I'll be safe. We'll be back in each other's arms again. I promise." 

I clutched the letter to my chest as the cold breeze blew from the window of my room.


----

Five weeks had passed and Chaewon hadn't come back yet. I started thinking of different things. I don't know what's happening to her right now. I'm really worried because her 'job' is always paired with danger. We don't have communication for she leaves her phone every time she has a mission. I'am waiting for her in this house at the hill because she told me that she would be here.

"Chaewon, where are you?" 

I closed my eyes hoping that I could imagine of her.  I heard footsteps going up here. I don't know if I'm imagining things right now.

"Minjoo?" I opened my eyes and I smiled. I turned to see who called me.

My smile vanished when I saw that the person infront of me is not Chaewon but it's another girl with a blonde hair and pouty lips. 

"Who are you?" 

"I-I'm Yena. I'm Chaewon's classmate and I also work with her." 

"How is she? Is she alright? Where is Chaewon?" 

The girl kept silent and she had her head down. 

"Answer me?! Where is she?" 

"She told me to give you this letter." 

I immediately snatched the letter away from Yena's hands. I wasted no time to read it. 

"Minjoo,
             I know that you have a lot of questions going through your mind right now. I know that you are so worried. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to keep my promise that I would return immediately. A lot of things happened here in Japan. They have found me, Minjoo. They are searching for me right now, they caught me and I will have to pay for what I have done. By the time you are reading this, I'm already gone. I'm sorry Minjoo. Please be safe, take care of yourself. I love you, Minjoo. Maybe we would meet again in another life.         
                                                            – kcw" 

                                                            
Tears started to fill my eyes. Why do they have to take the most important people away from us? Why does it have to be her? Why is life so unfair? What did I do to deserve this? She was the one who built me but she also destroyed me again. She gave me so much happiness for a short period of time and sadness that will last forever.