scene vii

Look Ahead - CHANBAEK

A voice echoes through my mind and my vision is all a blur.

"If they only knew...If they only knew..." The unfamiliar voice repeats in a chant-like manner. A scene of medical tables with syringes and chemicals fades into sight. Doctors operate one of The Others, and on a table next to it lays a radiation poisoned woman. Black blood is being drawn from the creature, and the woman is hooked up to a strange machine. The voice begins to laugh, and a blurry figure walks into the room, causing the doctors to stop and salute.

"We are here to help...We are here to help..." The voice repeats before fading off, revealing a new scene.

Chanyeol and I walk hand in hand down a dark pathway that seems to go on forever. We laugh and talk like happy boyfriends should, when he suddenly stops dead in his tracks. I stand confused, looking at him, while he suddenly falls to the ground with his hands around his neck, gasping and coughing up blood. I watch in horror and yell for help, though no words escape my mouth. After a few long, traumatizing seconds, Chanyeol lays still and quiet. The voice laughs once again, and it echoes in my right ear through my brain. In my left ear, Chanyeol's voice faintly cries, "We're sticking together. I promise I'll never leave you..."

Everything becomes black and silent, and gradually the faint, awful wails of humans and Others slowly become audible. I try to cover my ears, but the noise continues to grow louder and louder in my head. I feel my heart rate increasing and my breaths getting heavier.

The scene suddenly changes back to the first one. The blurred figure gestures with its hands, and the doctors scramble back to work. The figure walks up and examines the bodies, nodding in approval. A man runs in with a device and types info into it.

"Stay out of this, Baek! This is my job! Stay out of this!" A loud whisper shocks my eardrums. The wailing and growling of The Other gets louder and scarier, and the doctors start to yell in fear. The creature on the operating table sits up quickly with a big snarl and throws his arms against the doctor in front of him, knocking him to the ground. The creature charges in my direction, grabs my shoulders, and shakes my body. I try to scream and I try to fight, but for some reason I can't, and my heart pounds and my thoughts scramble. My head throbs in pain.

"Baek!" A familiar voice begins to fade in. "Baek, please wake up!"

Reality hits me. I wake up and sit up in bed to Chanyeol shaking me. A sharp pain pierces my head, and I rub the spot with my hand. My vision clears and I focus my sight towards my boyfriend, who is pale and damp with sweat.

"Baek, something's wrong with m-" A burst of coughs interrupt his sentence. "Call the medics, now." He exclaims, tearing off his air mask and charging towards the bathroom. Just as he reaches the toilet, he starts choking and vomiting.

"Yeol!" I quickly run to the emergency button in a panic and press it. "!' I repeat to myself in a whisper. I run to the washroom, wet a rag with cold water, and place it on Chanyeol's neck, who leans weakly over the toilet. Though he's stopped vomiting, coughs and gasps escape his lungs every few seconds. ", Yeol." I say, trying to hide the panic in my voice. "Medics are on the way, okay?" I rub his shoulder for comfort. After a few seconds of silence aside from my boyfriend's coughs, there's a knock on the door. I leave his side to run up and open it.

"Chanyeol is sick! He's in the bathroom!" I tell the medics.

"Okay, son. Remain calm. We'll take care of this." One of the medics says while the rest go to find Chanyeol. Within seconds, he is being carried out into the hall and placed in a gurney. I look at his big and strong body that doesn't look so big and strong now. An unusual mix of emotion settles through my body.

"Yeollie..." I say as I walk up to him. I reach for his hand.

"I'm sorry, but you can't come with us." A medic says, blocking my path to my boyfriend.

"He's my boyfriend!" I argue. "I don't have anyone else with me!"

"I understand, but we can't take the health risk. We'll let you see him when we are sure that he's safe and stable. Don't worry. If you don't want to be alone I can summon Mrs. Choi to stay with you at your request."

"No." I say, jaw clenched.

"Then go wash yourself and go back to sleep. We're gonna take care of him." Usually I would argue, but whatever emotion that's flooding my body and thoughts in this moment causes me to just nod my head in obedience. The medic pats my shoulder as they walk away with Chanyeol. When they are out of sight, I stand still and alone in a state of confusion and defeat. I sigh, walk back into the room, take a shower, and lay back in my half-empty bed.

I can't fall back asleep. Instead, I lay on my back and stare into the pitch black. A small pain lingers in my head, and I remember my dream. My skin tingles in fear and uncertainty as I flashback on the gruesome images and scary voices of that medical lab. The blurred figure of that person haunts my thoughts, and I struggle in not knowing who it is. Questions float through my mind as I wonder who the woman on the operating table was, what those doctors were doing to her, and why The Other was being operated on beside her. I question the voices too, asking who they belonged to and why they were saying those things.

I suddenly remember the scene with Chanyeol, and my heart sinks in my chest. The scene that played in dream and the scene that just occurred seem so similar. The coughing, the fainting; everything. A shiver crawls down my spine.

"What the is happening? None of this should be ing happening." I say out loud into the darkness.

My mind races with more and more thoughts that keep me up until the morning creeps up on me.