scene ii

Look Ahead - CHANBAEK

I look down at the destroyed earth from the helicopter window. Chanyeol sits next to me, sleeping with his head against the wall. President Jaeshin sits in front of me, along with his two bodyguards and the pilot. Because of Minseok's close relationship with the president, he took us along with him back to the Headquarters where all the survivors are gathering. Everyone else was brought back on public busses. Despite the confusion and shock of the current situation, it's comforting to know that Chanyeol and I have the consideration of the president on our side. I regret not showing Hyung how much I actually appreciated and respected all he's done for me, because this is all thanks to him.

I take a deep breath to clear out any negative thoughts, in search for some temporary peace. The only sound to be heard is the propeller spinning on above us. I lean my head on my boyfriend's shoulder and close my eyes.

"I'm very sorry for your loss." President Jaeshin finally breaks the silence. Chanyeol wakes up from his light sleep and slowly lifts his head to look at the president. "You know Dr. Minseok meant a lot me as well. Not only was he a highly-regarded VIP in the medical field, but he was also a very good friend of mine. I just want you to know that I send out my condolences to both of you, and my respects out to him as well." Chanyeol and I remain silent, not knowing what to say. I can feel Chanyeol give his head a single nod.  "We will be to the Headquarters soon, so make sure you're ready."

"Yes, sir." Chanyeol responds.

The aircraft begins to descend as the Headquarters become visible ahead. The buildings around this area don't seem to be impacted as much as the rest of the world. Buildings are partly destroyed and knocked down. Trees are fallen and plantation is wilted or dead, but still existent. The sky is clearer, and a few sunbeams highlight the district below. The Headquarter Building stands strong, clear, and seemingly untouched.

We land fast and smooth at an open area near the Headquarter Building, none of us speaking another word. President Jaeshin, followed by Chanyeol, and finally myself, are escorted from the helicopter with the help of the bodyguards. Chanyeol and I are taken by more government employees in orange suits like those who helped us back at the shelter, and they lead us to a large group of people who stand in the open space. President Jaeshin is led to a podium with a voice magnifier.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as you are more than likely aware, most homes and communities were destroyed by the nuclear explosions." Immediately, an angry outburst of voices fill the air as people in the crowd start yelling.

"This could have been prevented!"

"My husband wouldn't be dead if you had warned us!"

"You should've tried for peace! Now everything is destroyed!"

"Calm down! Everybody please remain calm!" President Jaeshin yells. The crowd gradually returns to silence. "I am here to help you." People start to yell again, but he continues anyway, and the crowd settles down once again. "As the president of my people —as your president — I cannot express to you the pain in my heart at the event that took place here. It is my job to keep you safe, and I have failed in my duty to do so. I am here right now to do all that I can to help and repay my mistakes. I ask that you all please try to understand."

The crowd remains composed, and a satisfied smile spreads on the president's face. "Thank you. Now, underground emergency residences are being prepared for all of you. Right now, I need everyone to remain in an orderly fashion and make sure to stick with your families." Chanyeol places his arm around my waist and pulls me close to his side. I return the action, and allow myself to drown in the comfort of my lover's body being here amidst the chaos.

The crowd around me shifts and moves to follow the instructions. A loud noise interrupts from behind. Everyone turns. Large military vehicles drive up to the area.

"Staying with your group and remaining calm and organized, find your way into a transportation vehicle." President Jaeshin continues. Military women and men exit the vehicles and help to manage the crowd. "More instructions will be given at the destination. Thank you all for your cooperation." He leaves the podium and I watch as he enters the helicopter again. Someone shoves me forward, breaking my grasp from Chanyeol. 

"Boy, where's your family?" A large - and quite ugly - military woman asks with a deep, rough voice. She has a large, dark scar on her right cheek. I quickly fix my grasp on Chanyeol before answering.

"J-just him." My voice is stuttery and breathy. I'm not afraid, but the intensity of the whole situation is a bit overwhelming. Chanyeol notices the tone in my voice, and he lightly rubs the side of my waist comfortingly.

"Alright, you two go to that line." The woman commands as she points to the line she's referring to.

"Yes, ma'am." Chanyeol says and bows his head politely, then we walk to our place. We stand in line, still holding onto each other, and wait to enter the vehicle.

"Yeollie, what do you think is going to happen? What now?" I look up to stare into my boyfriend's beagle eyes that I love so much. He sighs.

"I don't know. I don't know if anyone does. But I do know that whatever the president might be keeping from us, it's all for good reason. You know that too." I nod. "I also know," he continues, and I can see him holding back his smile. "That you're trying to hide the fact that you're trying not to yourself right now, scaredy-cat." He finally allows his big cheesy grin to spread across his face. My mouth opens in defense.

"Says you!"

"Me? What about me?" My boyfriend asks, smile still plastered big and clear.

"Don't act so tough, big guy. Remember when a spider crawled across your foot when we played baseball together, and you screamed and ran all the way across the field. Oh, and the first day Minseokie-hyung trained you, when he forced you to touch a syringe for the first time and you cried your ing eyes out." I let out a few chuckles at the memory.

"I thought you were sleeping!" Chanyeol protests.

"Yeah, you thought I was sleeping." Both boys burst into laughter, and the weight of the moment temporarily evaporates.

We didn't even realize how far up the line we moved up, and our laughter is interrupted by a military medic upon entering the vehicle.

"Names and ages?" The man commands.

"Park Chanyeol, 24 years old."

"Byun Baekhyun, 21 years old." I say, following the format and tone of my boyfriend. The man nods and enters the information into a strange looking device.

"Okay. Stand still." The man commands. Then, he pulls out two syringes and quickly injects them in our arms. "You're good to go." Chanyeol and I follow instructions and enter the vehicle. We travel to the back of the bus and sit beside each other in an open spot.

"I admit. I used to be a ." Chanyeol continues our previous conversation.

"Yeah. I'm not particularly courageous or anything, but you were weaker than me." I chuckle and move my mouth up to his ear so I can whisper, "You still are." He hits me playfully and I burst into laughter again.

"Not anymore." He says, his steady tone brings back all seriousness. "I have to be strong now. For you. For Minseokie-hyung. For us."

"For you, too. And I'm going to be strong as well. We are here for each other and we are in this together. Neither of us are stupid. We'll be alright." I place my hand on his thigh and rub it with my thumb comfortingly. He smiles at me and nods before taking my hand in his own. He opens his mouth to speak, but a sudden commotion from outside causes both of our attention to turn.

"Help! Help me! My son has fallen!" A woman yells. On the ground next to her lays a young boy, who appears to be maybe 9 or 10 years old. I put my face close to the window to look at the situation clearly. The boy appears to be struggling to breath and in a lot of pain. It seems he has no control of his body, which twitches intensely. He grasps his throat with both of his hands and he bursts into coughs, lungs making a deep growl-like sound that almost makes it hard for me to breathe. When the coughs start to subside, he vomits onto the ground beside him. The boy s his shirt in agony, revealing the many red burns that cover his skin.

Military medics run over to the boy, eventually surrounding him and blocking him from anyone's view. The boy's mother still screams for help and grips at one of the medics in an attempt to see her son. A government employee forces her away, and begins dragging her against her resistance into a separate vehicle. Other employees signal at the vehicle drivers to quickly head off, with a hint of panic in their expressions. I almost fly out of my seat at the sudden movement as we begin forward. Static blares from the sound system above us.

"Due to an incident, we were instructed for an early departure. We will arrive at our destination soon. We apologize for any inconveniences. Please remain in your seats, stay calm, and wait for further notice."

The sound and the static cuts out, and mumbles of confused passengers echo through the vehicle. Shocked expressions sit on their faces at what they just witnessed. I turn to lock eyes with my boyfriend, who's expression matches those of the others surrounding us.

"What the actual was that?" He asks.