scene ix

Look Ahead - CHANBAEK

Chanyeol hasn't been getting any better, and I have been on a roll these past few days to find a way to heal him. I've been doing more research on the lab computers about anything I can find on radiation. I've also been trying to interpret my dreams, which just keep getting more confusing, and I seem to never find an answer.

I hear the footsteps and voices of the third shift medics coming up the hallway, and I quickly log off of the computer and exit the room. I take one quick glance at Chanyeol's worsening figure, before taking off to the cafeteria for lunch. I don't eat my food, instead I pick at it with my chopsticks as I sit by myself and think.

I reflect on my dream from last night. The dream was a lot less vivid and clear than the others. Many scenes of small groups of people hiding, running, and sneaking around the vast, dead world flashed through my brain. Strange whispers of the word goodbye in many languages echoed in my brain. I zone out the world around me and put all of my focus into what the dream could mean.

Different ideas come up, but quickly get ruled out when things don't add up. I put down my chopsticks in frustration and sigh. I give up. I rub the back of my neck and stand up from my seat to throw my food away and head back to my room. Then it hits me:

I need to escape. I need to get everyone out of here.

It makes perfect sense. People running around in the open world for the first time after escaping this ing place we've trapped in for too long. The word goodbye symbolizing leaving here for good. A satisfied smile creeps along my face at my realization, and I reach to grab my food tray.

Out of nowhere, someone clears their throat behind me. "Byun Baekhyun, we need you in the medical center ASAP." A familiar voice says. I turn my body around and make eye contact with a middle aged woman in a doctors uniform. Her nametag reads:

Lee Soojin
Chief of  the Medical Services Association of the Republic of Korea (MSARK)

She is Hyung's replacement.

"Y-yes ma'am." I stutter, shocked. She nods her head in approval and walks away. I follow her to the medical center as questions and confusion fill my mind. When I step into the room, my eyes make immediate contact with President Jaeshin. Three bodyguards stand in a line behind him, blocking my view of Chanyeol, who lies behind them.

"Byun Baekhyun, you're going to have to come with me. I have some news for you." President Jaeshin commands, voice more serious and almost robotic-like compared to the previous times he's talked to me. Something feels odd.

"With all due respect, sir, may I ask why?" I ask, confused at the seriousness flooding the atmosphere.

"Don't worry. I just need to talk to you privately. Please, come with me." He responds. I catch a glimpse of some commotion behind the body guards. Chanyeol's still body lays on a gurney, and he is being wheeled out of the room by medics wearing those orange body suits just like the ones they wore back at the underground shelter when the bomb hit us. Sudden panic washes over me at the sight.

"Wait, Chanyeol! Where are they taking him? Chanyeol!" I yell. The President curses under his breath. I try to make my way towards my boyfriend, but the guards will not let me through. "Please, Chanyeol! Just let me see him, I beg you!" I push and pull at one of the guards, hoping to get just one last look at my boyfriend.

", load it!"

"Do it!"

"Ready!"

"Fire!" 

Crack

A sharp pain penetrates through my neck. Darkness floods my senses.

Black.