002

Don't wake me up (from this dream)

"Who are you?" The words hung in the air as Jaemi patiently waited for Donghyuck to answer. He almost seemed troubled when she asked him, as a small frown immediately appeared. Jaemi felt weirdly brave as she tried to smooth out Donghyuck's frown, just like he had done for her. He had a surprised glint in his eyes. "If you don't know how to reply, just tell when you know what to say. But don't take too long, okay?" Jaemi bit back her laugh when she saw how shocked Donghyuck became at her words.

"..Thank you," he spoke softly and suddenly hugged Jaemi, making her squirm slightly in his grip. He quickly noticed her discomfort and let go. "Sorry, just felt so happy." Jaemi shook her head with a smile before turning her back to Donghyuck and squatting.

"I can see you're happy, Donghyuck," she spoke as she carefully picked a daffodil. "Even though I don't know you that well, I hope your life is usually full of daffodils." She gave him the flower and he glad took it, smiling to himself. "Thank you for trusting me," Donghyuck's voice was just a whisper, but Jaemi still heard him.

"As long as you don't betray my trust, of course I'll give it to you, no matter who you are." Jaemi smiled to herself as she attempted to make a flower crown. "But this dream really feels weird… it's like I'm not dreaming but staying awake instead." Donghyuck squatted down beside her and helped her with the flower crown. "Well, it's your dream, so your imagination might just be lively."

Jaemi gave Donghyuck a weird look. "I'm not really great imagining things, so I don't think it's making that's making it this lively, but rather you." Jaemi finished the flower crown and then put it on top of her own hair, smiling at Donghyuck. "But if it's really me, then I must be missing mom and dad a lot." She looked away again and started making another flower crown.

"Your mother and father aren't with you?" Jaemi shook her head at Donghyuck's question. "They are always away on business trips. But I don't have a poor lifestyle, I just have to take care of myself," she explained, pausing her work to look at Donghyuck. "It's not a big deal, really, a lot of people don't really live with their parents because of them being out working. And I just started in high school not long ago, so it takes my mind off of things." Donghyuck looked like he understood, but Jaemi could also see he was thinking deeply. She gently poked his cheek.

"Don't think too much of it, you're here to help with loneliness, right? So as long as you're here, you can be the replacement of my parents; listening to what I've been doing and what I had for dinner." Donghyuck looked right Jaemi's eyes, looking slightly saddened but still smiling softly as he nodded his head. "I will. So, tell me, did anything exciting happen today?"

Jaemi sat down properly, Donghyuck did the same, as her legs were aching slightly. She continued working on the flower crown as she began explaining. "It was quite nice weather today, barely any skies and the sun was shining," Jaemi pondered a bit. "And I saw someone enter the school, but I didn't see their face. And then our teacher announced that we would be getting a transfer student in our class."

"A transfer student? Didn't you guys just start school?" Jaemi gave Donghyuck a small look, wondering why he knew about school. Shrugging, she ended up brushing it off.

"I'm not sure, so I don't know if I should feel sad or afraid of this new person. I couldn't even see how they looked." Donghyuck nodded. "But then school ended and I went to the market - it's a bit away from home - and then…" Jaemi continued explaining them few events in her day and Donghyuck looked like he was having a hard time keeping his drool in when she explained her dinner and lunch.

Jaemi suddenly let out a yawn as she rubbed her eyes. "Wow, I feel so tired..." She stretched her arms before finishing the other flower crown. She then put it on Donghyuck's head, smiling. "This is my first gift for you, even if they're your feelings," she then yawned again.

Donghyuck gently touched the flower crown with a small smile before moving his hand to Jaemi's shoulder. "I think you should just give in, it seems that you're about to wake up from your dream," he explained softly as Jaemi felt sleepier by the seconds.

"You will be here again tonight, right?" She asked softly, her body resting against Donghyuck. The boy gave a small nod and Jaemi smiled. Then you sleep well, Donghyuck," As Jaemi spoke the words she fell asleep.

"You too, Jaemi," were the last words she heard the other spoke before she fully drifted away.

 

Jaemi woke up to her alarm ringing loudly and she immediately searched for her clock and smashed the button to silence the loud noise. She rubbed her eyes and looked up at the ceiling, thinking about the dream she just had. It was weird, remember ever little detail, even if it wasn't that much that happened. A small smile appeared as Jaemi thought of her new friend. "I'm so going to tell him about the transfer student." She then got herself out of bed and started getting ready for school.

Everything took the same time as usual and Jaemi was quickly out the door. Checking her watch, she noticed she there was enough time, so she there was no need to hurry to school. She would even be a bit early if she purposely walked slowly. Deciding just to keep her normal tempo, and swing by a convenience store to get a bottle of water - she had forgotten to fill her own from home - Jaemi soon arrived at school, entering an almost empty classroom.

Someone that Jaemi didn't recognise was in the classroom all by himself. "Morning," she greeted, not minding the guy. She didn't know any of her classmates all that well, only talking with them from time to time, either for projects or she needed to have or give help with studies.

The boy's eyes rose in slight shock before his face relaxed. "Good morning," he greeted back, looking at Jaemi. He smiled and stared at Jaemi in silence afterwards. She gave him a weird look as he just kept staring. She decided to take out her things for class before deciding if she wanted to say something or not. As Jaemi took out her books she heard footsteps but didn't focus on how loud they were so when she looked up she got so startled she would've fallen out of her chair if not for the boy in front of her.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry I didn't mean to scare you," he immediately apologised. As Jaemi took a deep breath to calm down he sat in the seat besides hers. "I just wanted to ask if you where there are any empty seats," the boy asked with a sheepish smile. "I'm the transferring student."

Then it dawned Jaemi. This was the person she had seen yesterday. "Oh. I'm Jaemi." She awkwardly reached out her hand for a shake. "Sorry I didn't realise you were new. I'm don't know half the faces or names in the class," she spoke with the same sheepish smile.

"Well, Jaemi, I'm Jungwoo. It's nice to meet you." Jungwoo introduced himself as he took Jaemi's hand and gently shook it. "And again, I'm sorry for frightening you." Jaemi shook her head.

"It's really nothing, trust me. It must be because I'm earlier than usual," Jaemi explained. "But if you're new shouldn't you be at the teacher's office now?" And then Jungwoo scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.

"Well, you see," he paused and Jaemi could see how his ears became red. "I got a bit lost in the school but recognised the class I'd be in, so I just went in here," He let out a small giggle and Jaemi chuckled.

"Then I'll take you to the teacher's office, how about it?" Jaemi also needed this, as she could use a refresh of the school building. She knew where the important things were, like the bathroom and the teacher's office. And she held her laughter back, with slight difficulty, when Jungwoo beamed and thanked her. "There aren't that many at school yet, so it'll be easy getting there, come on."

Jungwoo followed behind Jaemi through the hallways as she explained what she knew and where things were in the school. They passed the cafeteria. "If you don't have food from home just eat in here," she explained before continuing.

"Do you eat often in the cafeteria, Jaemi?" Jungwoo had a curious glint in his eyes.

Jaemi shook her head. "I usually make my lunch the day before or while making my breakfast. But I do sometimes get lazy and just choose to eat in the cafeteria."

"You make your own food?" Jungwoo let out a sound of awe. "I wish I could cook for myself and have a homemade lunch~" Jaemi chuckled at his childish tone and behaviour as he sulked.

"If I have any leftovers I'll maybe let you have some, okay? But no promises yet. I don't share my food with strangers~" She laughed as Jungwoo's face went from beaming and back to sulking. "I'm joking but I'm also serious. If I have any scraps I'll try and remember to take some with me for the in between breaks, okay?" Jaemi smiled and sighed softly when Jungwoo started to beam again.

"It's a deal, but it wouldn't be fair for me to be the only receiving would it?" Jungwoo asked, pouting. Jaemi shook her head again.

"I'll just ask you to do something for me at one point if it's needed. Don't sweat it too much, it's just extra food you know." She shrugged off Jungwoo's suggestion.

"But-" Before Jungwoo could continue they arrived at the teacher's office and the door slid open. Out came the fiercest looking person Jaemi had ever seen. But, for some reason, Jaemi didn't move, even if he was block her way. Because he felt familiar. But it wasn't a good familiar, but neither was it a bad familiar.

Jaemi was brought out of her trance when Jungwoo gently put a hand on her shoulder, pulling her out of the other's way as he kept a close eye on him. It had felt so weird, but she chose to ignore it. For now. "Sorry about that," she calmly apologised before the person glanced at her and left.

"Woah, that was so scary," Jungwoo said in a small voice, trying to hide behind Jaemi. "His eyes was so fierce, perfect for how was dressed, Jaemi," Jungwoo explained. Jaemi believed him, even though she hadn't seen the stranger’s eyes.

"Perhaps he might also be a new student? Or someone back from suspension?" Jaemi questioned aloud before shrugging and turning to Jungwoo. "Our homeroom teacher is Ms. Yoo so go and look for her?" She gently padded Jungwoo's shoulder. "I want to finish up some homework I didn't get done last night."

Jungwoo seemed like he wanted to protest, but Jaemi's reasoning shut him up. "Fine, but please be there for me when I introduce myself in front of the class? Please?" He tried acting cute, which didn't help him at all, since Jaemi wasn't going to refuse him anyway.

"I'll be your support, so don't worry. If you're too nervous, just tell Ms. Yoo, okay? She won't force you if you hate it so much." Jaemi checked her watch. "I have to go now, see you soon, Jungwoo~" Jaemi gave a small wave as she left Jungwoo.

He waved back, smiling. "See you later, An Jaemi," he said in a soft voice after she disappeared around the corner.

 

-✿-

 

Hello y'all. So, I decided to upload every Wednesday (the time of day will vary) even if I have multiple chapters finished in advance. It's to be sure that I don't get behind, or forget to write anything, when I'm busy with school or work.

Next week is the 3rd chapter and on the 30th is the 4th. The 4th chapter might be slightly delayed because I will be in and on my way home from Amsterdam that day.

Anyways, tell me what you think of the story in the comments and have a lovely week.

With love, Uni