001

Don't wake me up (from this dream)

School was normal. "An Jaemi, please answer the question on the board," a voice called out, making said student raise her head from taking down notes. She made sure to quickly react and stood up, looking up at the mathematics problem on the board. It had been part of their homework, so she was confident when she answered. The teacher even smiled slightly, always happy with the correct answer, and asked that Jaemi explained how she had gotten the answer, even encouraging her to come to the board.

She did, still too afraid to refuse her teacher, who obviously favoured her, and made sure to steady her hands before she picked up the chalk and started writing the solution on the dark green surface. The soft sound of the chalk hitting the surface calmed Jaemi considerably and she swiftly finished writing the problem, to which her teacher clapped and then sent her back to her seat. Jaemi felt blank the rest of the class, mechanically writing down notes that the teacher wrote, without really focusing on what her was saying.

The lunch bell brought her out of her trance and she slowly rose from her seat. Getting her small bag where her lunchbox was in, Jaemi walked out of the classroom and into the courtyard, where small groups of people were sitting and enjoying the late spring weather. She chose to sit on one of the benches located a bit away, letting out a soft sigh and opening her lunchbox. Jaemi always chose to pack her lunch in different ways, even if it sometimes consisted of scraps from last night's dinner.

Humming to herself as she ate, Jaemi looked up, although most of the sky was hidden by the leaves on the tree beside her. She didn't mind the gentle shade though, as it brought protection from the warm sun and her water in the bottle beside her would be able to stay cool for a while.

Lunchtime passed quickly for Jaemi and the bell rang for class again before she was aware, making her hurry to clean up her things and head back to class. Once seated again, Jaemi felt slightly bored, only half-heartedly listening to what the teacher was saying. She was glad for her window seat, even if it was almost all the way at the front. Glancing outside, Jaemi smiled softly to herself.

Suddenly, she spotted someone entering the school grounds. The looked like a parent and child so she assumed that the person would be a new transferring, which was quite weird. The year had just begun, yes, but if the person was a first year like Jaemi she wasn't sure if she should feel sad or scared of the person, who now had disappeared into the building.

"I wonder which class that person will get into," Jaemi mumbled to herself unconsciously and then quickly making sure no one heard what she had said. She then focused back on the lesson, but her mind still wandered. She hoped this, seemingly, new transfer student was going to be a girl, which she could only guess, as it had been impossible to see at the distance they had been at.

Class continued, with few breaks in between, and noon soon turned into the later afternoon, right at the end of their last class. Their teacher finished what he was writing on the board before turning to the class. "Tomorrow someone new will be transferring into this class, seeing as we are currently the smallest one amongst the first years. Please take good care of them tomorrow. Then." With that, their teacher finished, and everyone started talking and wondering the exact same things Jaemi had. Except now she was certain: the person she had seen walk in was transferring to their class.

Acting as if she wasn't the least bit excited about their new classmate, Jaemi started packing her stuff. Quickly finished, she swung her bag over her shoulder and said goodbye to her classmates. Some spoke, "See you tomorrow Jaemi," just right before she slipped out the door. Jaemi just barely registered that they had spoken to her before her mind wandered to what she wanted to eat for dinner. It was hard to make food yourself, but Jaemi knew she had become quite good at it, or else she would have probably been bedridden by now, or travelling with her parents, who were rarely ever home.

Jaemi lived in an apartment not a long way from school, but she always chose to detour to all kinds of places, preferably to the market where she always liked to get fresh ingredients. And she had also become quite good friends with some of the people that were at the individual stalls, so she was sometimes given a small discount, even though she didn't really need it. It wasn't her money she was spending anyway.

Jaemi walked amongst the stalls, smiling and greeting, even having some small talk, with some of the sellers. She ended up buying some things for seaweed rolls and octopus, which she was planning to braise and eat as part of her dinner, and her lunch tomorrow. She also bought a fish, which she was going to cook whole, also for dinner and lunch.

Going home after talking with few more, Jaemi felt content, but also spent. It was hard, interacting with other people, but she tried to as much as she could and wanted to, of course. Going up the stairs in the building, Jaemi easily opened her front door, putting in the pin by body memory as she did not even have to look down on the pad. The door open with a soft ping noise and a click and Jaemi pushed her way through to the kitchen, kicking her shoes off in the foyer. As if she wanted to clean later. It wasn't the weekend yet.

She set down the groceries and quickly put each thing in its rightful place. After finishing, she went and took of her jacket and put her shoes in the cabinet. There was still some time until what Jaemi deemed the appropriate time for eating, so she decided to drag her bag to her room to do some homework. Sitting down on her cushioned chair, she let out a soft sigh as she took out the papers for tomorrow and started doing them.

Time passed weirdly quickly when you focused on something, even if it was homework. Jaemi was glad she always had an alarm to notify her to make dinner, or sometimes she'd forget to eat. It didn't always help, if she miraculously became busy. The loud ring of the alarm echoed through the house and Jaemi quickly turned it off, getting up after finishing up the task she had gotten to.

Going to the kitchen, she went to her music app and put on one of her favourite songs, humming along to it as she started preparing the food. Jaemi had all the typical pop songs on her phone, but lately she had been focusing more on Chinese and Korean music, even though she loved English. It was a relief to her, not understanding the texts for ones, except the Korean, and just mindless humming and listening.

Jaemi quickly finished preparing dinner, and eating and cleaning up afterwards. It was an everyday task; every movement was something that her body had memorised. Even if she didn't feel like cooking or doing dishes, she just responded naturally. After finishing everything, Jaemi felt strangely exhausted. Good thing I did my homework already, she thought as she stretched and let out a yawn. Since I'm this tired I'm just going to sleep early.

Jaemi went to the bathroom after picking her pyjamas, washing her face and brushing her teeth. She enjoyed not wearing an make-up, which meant she could spend more time sleeping, eating or on her homework, which was quite tough sometimes. After finishing up, Jaemi turned off all lights and slipped into her bed, cuddling her blanket - a habit she had from when she was still small and afraid of the dark. She quickly glanced over her shoulder, whispering a soft "Good night," to the photo of her and her parents on her desk.

She fell quickly fell asleep. Or it felt like she had.

Jaemi opened her eyes when it felt like the sun was shining right into her face. Weird. I'm sure I put the blinds- oh . Jaemi quickly sat up. If she was getting sun in her face she was late- She rubbed her eyes before she opened and was surprised when she saw she wasn’t in her room but in a field of anemones. Feeling quite shocked, Jaemi looked at her surroundings in all directions. There was nothing but the purple flower that surrounded her.

Jaemi got up from her sitting position after processing where she was. The field can't be endless, so let's see how far it goes, she thought as she started jogging. Jaemi noticed she was wearing a type of light dress, one you'd wear in the summer. She just didn't understand why she was wearing it, as it was a dress she had never seen in her life.

The anemones seemed endless so Jaemi sat down again to catch her breath. This is really a weird dream, she thought with a soft sigh. She didn't know what to do, all alone, and with no idea as to why she was having this dream. She laid back down on the flowers and closed her eyes. The sun felt nice and kept her body warm. It felt weirdly real.

Jaemi wasn't sure how much time passed as she was laying there, but she suddenly frowned when a shadow blocked the sun from her face. Squinting, Jaemi was able to make out that it was a hand. There was someone else here beside her? She slowly sat up before a soft voice spoke: "I've been waiting for you, Jaemi," and warm arms wrapped around her shoulders. The person felt warm, something Jaemi had not expected, as this was supposed to be a dream. She figured she was just missing some human contact.

But it was weird. She had never felt so warm and comfortable before, especially not in the arms of another person. Jaemi tried turning her head, but the person hugging her was hiding their faces in the crook of her neck. Jaemi reached out and gently patted the person's hair. She could feel them smiling against her exposed skin. "I'm so happy you're here," they spoke, and suddenly Jaemi looked out into field as the feeling of the flowers softly tickling her changed. The field of anemones were turning into and field of daffodils.

Suddenly, the person rose and reached out a hand for Jaemi to take. "My name is Donghyuck," Jaemi was now able to see the person's face clearly. He was quite handsome and showed her a soft smile. "Welcome to your dreamland." Jaemi frowned. "If this is my dreamland, why does this not feel like a dream?" she asked curiously, taking a small away from this Donghyuck person. He looked cute, yes, but she couldn't be sure if he was good or bad news.

Donghyuck shrugged, keeping his smile as he looked at Jaemi. "I just know that you're the reason that I'm here," Now Jaemi was even more confused. She still wasn't sure if Donghyuck was dead or alive and his wods didn't really clear anything up. "And this is your dream, but I strangely have most power amongst us." He pointed down to the daffodils with an open hand.

"Do you know the meaning of anemones and daffodils?" Donghyuck asked slowly. Jaemi shook her head, "I only know the flowers, but their meaning."

Donghyuck chuckled. "Anemones are for anticipation for something and a bigger amount of daffodils represent happiness." Jaemi wasn't quite sure why Donghyuck was telling her this. He seemed to pick up on her confusion. "These are the two feelings I've had so far while waiting for and finally meeting you." This made sense for Jaemi. She hadn't been feeling anything, except suspicion, and she hadn't thought of any flowers.

"But why do you have that power when it's my dream?" Jaemi frowned again. Donghyuck stepped close to her, making her flinch slightly, but he just smoothed out her frown. "I think it's your wish for me to be as transparent as possible, like a person you can trust and believe in, because you always know what they're feeling," his theory seemed plausible. But Jaemi still wasn't quite sure.

"But why is it flowers and not words? That'd be easier to understand," she asked and Donghyuck chuckled as he brushed some of her hair behind her ears. "Because I like flowers." and now Jaemi understood. She had, in theory, 'given' this power to Donghyuck, but her was able to choose how he wanted to show it.

"Now almost everything makes sense." Donghyuck gave Jaemi a curious look. "Almost everything?" Jaemi gave a small nod. "Donghyuck, why are you in my dream?" She looked right into Donghyuck's eyes. "Who are you?"