003

Don't wake me up (from this dream)

As Jaemi entered the classroom, she noticed that only a few more students had entered. "Morning," she greeted them and they greeted back as she sat down in her seat. Focusing back on the homework she had left in favor of Jungwoo, Jaemi sighed softly before pushing her face out of her hair and beginning on it, not letting it go before the bell rung loudly.

As more people gathered in the class, the talk about the transfer student became the topic amongst everyone. Everyone was wondering if it was a boy or a girl, would the person be nice and other things like that. Jaemi decided to not join the conversation as she had already met Jungwoo before most students had even arrived at the school.

The final bell rung and Jaemi finished the problem she was currently doing, just in time as the teacher walked in seconds after. "Good morning class," Ms. Yoo greeted everyone with a smile. "As your mathematics teacher told you yesterday we are getting a transfer student today. But, to our luck, we are not getting just one transfer student but as much as two. There have been some complications in the office, so one of the students will only stay in our class temporarily." Jaemi frowned. She hoped Jungwoo would be the one permanently in their class.

"You guys can come in now," Ms. Yoo called them in and Jaemi's eyes widened. Behind Jungwoo, the fierce looking guy entered and they both stood beside the podium. But she quickly averted her gaze back to Jungwoo, who has pale hands for clenching them so long. As their eyes met, Jaemi smiled reassuringly which had an immediate impact on Jungwoo who relaxed.

"I'm Kim Jungwoo," he stammered softly, taking a small bow. Jaemi gave a small thumbs up, her hand on her table, and made sure only Jungwoo saw it. "Please take care of me well." his voice had sounded a bit surer so Jaemi felt accomplished. But now everyone turned their eyes to the fierce looking guy.

"Lee Taeyong," he introduced himself simply and it was obvious he thought no one needed to know more. Ms. Yoo looked like she expected more but when it didn't happen she asked Jungwoo and Taeyong where they wanted to sit. Jungwoo immediately looked in Jaemi's direction.

"I'd like to sit beside Jaemi. She was also the one that helped me this morning," Jungwoo smiled softly. Ms. Yoo seemed to understand. Good thing Jaemi usually didn't have a seat partner, mostly because she sat close to the board.

As Jungwoo went to sit beside you, grinning like a child, Taeyong looked at the teacher. "Whatever seat is empty, I'll take it," and Ms. Yoo assigned him to one of the middle desks and the girl that was going to be sitting beside him seemed both ecstatic and scared.

"All right class," Ms. Yoo got everyone's attention. "There's no school announcements today, so feel free to use the rest of the time to get to know your new classmates, okay?" When everyone answered with a unified "Yes," Ms. Yoo seemed content as she dismissed herself.

As soon as the teacher left, the class split up between Jungwoo and Taeyong. Though those who went to Taeyong, mostly girls, soon went to talk with Jungwoo as the other guy had apparently seemed cold.

Jaemi could see how Jungwoo grew nervous with everyone's attention again and she couldn't help but place a reassuring hand on top of of the one he used to clutch at the hem of his shirt. Jungwoo gave Jaemi a small, appreciative smile and, during the conversation with the others, wrapped their pinkies together. Jaemi pursed her lips to try and not laugh at how cute Jungwoo was.

As Jungwoo focused on talking with their classmates Jaemi looked down on her homework and thanked the gods for making her lefthanded, as her right hand was currently occupied. She grabbed her pencil and tuned out again as she focused on the problems on the paper.

Jungwoo glanced at Jaemi raised his eyebrow slightly as he saw she was doing homework. "We already have this much homework? Aren't we just first years?" he whined softly which made the others laugh.

"It's because Jaemi wants to be ahead of schedule as much as possible," one of the female students explained. "It'll be at least a couple weeks before we get those tasks as part of class or homework," she continued. "I wish I understood math as well as she does. It seems so easy when I see Jaemi solved a problem flawlessly when I managed to get it wrong," the girl sighed.

Jungwoo nodded. So Jaemi was good at maths, or at least knew how to solve problems easily. He'd have to remember to sometimes ask her for help. He was decent in math himself, but it seemed as if Jaemi was better. He looked down at their joined pinkies and bit back his smile as he quickly focused back on the others before class started.

 

Jaemi could say it was nice to have Jungwoo as a seat partner. There had been something in literature class that she had not understood and then asked Jungwoo about and he explained it perfectly for her to understand. Likewise, when they had math, Jungwoo had not understood the way the teacher explained the question and had asked Jaemi for help. And she gladly did so.

"It's so nice that we're good at different things and don't at the same," Jungwoo laughed as the bell rang for lunch. "I wouldn't know how to solve that problem if not for you, you are my life saviour." Jaemi shook her head in denial.

"I'm sure you would have done fine, or else it wouldn't have pulled your score that much down," she tried to defend, "I just simply it as much as I can to understand it. Mr. Gong sometimes overcomplicates the questions." Jungwoo nodded.

"I've only had him for one class, but I can tell that you are right." They both laughed at his words. "Want to come with me to eat in the cafeteria?" Jungwoo asked as everyone left the classroom. Jaemi nodded her head.

"Let me get my lunch, one moment," she turned in her seat and reached into her bag to retrieve her lunchbox. When she looked up again after taking it out she was about to turn back to Jungwoo when her eyes met the other new kid's eyes. Lee Taeyong. It was still strangely familiar to her. Quickly brushing their eye contact, and his persistent stare, off, Jaemi smiled at Jungwoo. "Let's go."

 

There were quite a lot in the cafeteria, but it wasn't overwhelming and Jaemi managed to find a table while Jungwoo went to get his food. Unfolding food from last night, Jaemi smiled a bit to herself. Even she couldn't believe she was able to make something that looked so delicious. Jungwoo soon joined her and she noticed that he was also eyeing her food, but with envy as he was just having the regular school meal.

"I pray that you always have scraps, so my meal will at least be a bit exciting," Jungwoo said with a pout. "I can cook for myself but yours looks so much better," he whined. Jaemi raised an eyebrow as she gave Jungwoo a curious look.

"You can cook?" she asked, quite intrigued. "Then why don't you make lunch for yourself?" Jungwoo shook his head.

"I'm too lazy in the evening the day before and in the morning to make my lunchbox," he excused. Jaemi sighed, shaking her head.

"Want to change our agreement, then?" Jungwoo lifted his head at her words. "If you cook me dinner, at my house or yours, of course you will follow me home, then I'll make you a lunchbox, how about it?" Jaemi almost laughed when Jungwoo had literal stars in his eyes.

"Oh god yes!" he almost shouted, grabbing Jaemi's hands and making some students look. He quickly let go, now having made them both embarrassed with his outburst. "I mean, yes, I definitely wouldn't mind that," Jungwoo looked down with his ears burning red.

"Then it's our new deal," Jaemi said with a small laugh. "If you don't mind, we could go today, and I could see if you near the market?" Jaemi finally began eating her lunch. Jungwoo looked up at her.

"Sure. I don't live that far from the school though, so I'm not sure..." He sounded unsure and Jaemi shook her head.

"I don't live that far from school either, and the market isn't that far away from my house, so maybe it'll be close to yours, too? Unless it's in the other direction," she laughed, and they soon finished their lunches.

"I have to go to the bathroom, so you go to class first, okay?" Jaemi checked her watch as she spoke. "I'll be there shortly." She left Jungwoo, who seemed a bit sad, and hurried off to the bathroom.

As Jaemi was in the bathroom, the first bell rung and she sighed as she could hear people rushing out. Not wanting to be squeezed amongst the other female students, she chose to take a while before finishing up. When there was no more noise left, Jaemi deemed it safe and came out to wash her hands.

After drying her hands, she just barely managed to step out the bathroom before she was greeted with the silhouette of her new classmate: Lee Taeyong. He stared at her, and she stared back, with a raised eyebrow. Jaemi tilted her head, frowning. Why was he so familiar?

"Have we ever met before, Lee Taeyong?" she asked, and he looked a bit surprised, but shook his head without hesitance. Jaemi shrugged, giving up on the weird feeling she was getting from him. "Anyways, want to walk together to class?" Taeyong shrugged and just started walking, in the opposite direction of their classroom.

"Hey! It's the wrong way!" Jaemi called after him.

"I know." His reply was short but Jaemi clearly heard how husky his voice was. Perfect voice for him, she thought before walking over and grabbing his wrist.

"We have to go to class. No skipping on the first day," Taeyong seemed surprised by her trust and even more so when Jaemi dragged him with her to class.

 

Everyone stared when Jaemi entered, still holding Taeyong's wrist. She let go once she knew he was inside and went to sit beside Jungwoo who smiled at her before giving her a questioning look. Jaemi understood immediately.

"He tried to skip on the first day. I might not be a total model student, but even I think it's bad style to skip this early." Jungwoo nodded. The history teacher soon entered and now Taeyong had no way of escaping and he sat quietly down in his seat, his eyes shifting to Jaemi as his stare turned into a glare.

 

The rest of the day went smoothly, except for Taeyong's gaze feeling like it was tearing Jaemi's soul apart, and the final bell rang, signalling that Jaemi would finally be able to relax a bit for the rest of the day. Her gaze met Jungwoo's and they smiled at each other.

"Well, has your mind been occupied with what you for dinner today?" he asked cheekily and Jaemi rolled her eyes, pinching his arm gently. "Ow- hey I was just asking~" he stuck his tongue out childishly.

"I want to get inspiration from the market," Jaemi began putting her things into her bag, Jungwoo following suit with what little he had. "I never decide on anything, just get what I feel like, for the right price of course," she smiled. "My lunch today was also spontaneous buying."

They quickly finished and left the classroom and went to take their jackets. It had been slightly cold in the morning but now Jaemi was feeling it was too hot to wear the jacket, so she just slung it over her arm. "Which way do you live?" she asked Jungwoo and he pointed in the direction that Jaemi lived in. "Great!"

They left the school and Jaemi showed Jungwoo the way to the market, where they ended up buying quite a bit of stuff, as Jungwoo stated that he hadn't gone grocery shopping yet, and therefore had nothing in his house except some snacks and dire necessities. Jaemi had shaken her head when he told her, telling him it wasn't good to neglect himself.

So, after going to the market, they went to a nearby convenience to get Jungwoo what else he might be missing. Jaemi paid for the things there, telling Jungwoo it was a housewarming gift, and a token of their newfound friendship.

 

They walked to the apartment building where Jungwoo lived and Jaemi felt a bit weird as she had known the way there and when they were in front of the building, she looked at the building with wide eyes, making Jungwoo nervous. "Is there anything wrong?" he asked, his voice carrying a tone of uncertainty. Jaemi shook her head.

"It's just..." she pointed at the building while looking at Jungwoo. "I live in this building, too..." and Jungwoo's eyes widened.

"Really? Wow~" he let out a nervous chuckle. "If this continues, we'll end up being inseparable," it was a joke but Jaemi didn't mind the idea completely. It meant she would have friend, someone to talk to, in school.

"Let's go up, which floor do you live on?" Jungwoo apparently lived on the floor above Jaemi's.

"So if you ever feel like underage drinking and come home wasted, my place is better," Jaemi joked and Jungwoo shook his head as he unlocked his front door.

"Welcome to my still messy apartment," he showed Jaemi inside and she knew Jungwoo wasn't lying as some boxes were still stacked up and had tape on them.

"Thanks for having me." They carried the bags to the kitchen and then Jaemi helped Jungwoo with moving some of the boxes to his room. As Jaemi was carrying some smaller boxes, with Jungwoo directing her, Jungwoo had begun making dinner. They had both decided to have Bibimbap.

An hour quickly passed and as Jungwoo cooked, Jaemi was able to unpack some of his things: it mainly consisted of books and things for the kitchen and bathroom. Jaemi came to check on Jungwoo and then food and her lips when she saw it had been finished.

"It looks so delicious~" she half-moaned, the smell of it fantastic. "I can't wait to taste your cooking, it smells so freaking good." And Jungwoo laughed, motioning for her to sit at his small table on the floor. He set the bowl down and they sat cross legged in front of each other. They both smiled at each other and said thank you for the meal before they started eating.

-

Hey guys. Sorry for the late update - I've been down with the flu and been quite sensitive to light, so I wasn't able to follow my planned uploading schedule :'(. I do hope you all like this chapter, with the nice bonding experience of our two neighbours. Se you Wednesday.. or maybe earlier, as an apology~