Part IV.

A Second Melody
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That encounter with Baekhyun had messed up with Chanyeol and his mind. He needed to know if Choon hee was his daughter, needed a confirmation of his suspicions to explain the undeniable pull the girl had on him. But what would he do if it was true? That he really was the father of such a wonderful child and he wasn’t there to be with Baekhyun through it?

What would even change?

He’s paced a million times now in his scarcely filled penthouse apartment, trying to find the answer; trying to reason with himself about what he was about to do. He looked around his expensive and luxurious apartment, a gift from his parents when he accepted their offer and went to the US to continue his studies there and take over the business after. He just felt as empty as he'd always been.

His apartment was empty because it wasn’t his home. He’d been lonely for three years now, and maybe it was time to get his home back. The cogs were already turning in his brain, and his plan was in motion. If Baekhyun would take him back, then his parents couldn’t touch them anymore.

 

In his desperation, he asked his new brother-in-law to get him the number of Sehun from their hotel records, knowing he’s Chanyeol’s best shot at talking to Baekhyun. It was a breach of privacy but he knew Sehun, and hopefully he wouldn’t mind it especially if it involved him coming back to their lives even after he promised he won’t show himself to Baekhyun again.

It’s been a week and Chanyeol had just cancelled his flight back to the US for this, so he dials Sehun’s number and hopes that he would agree to set up a meeting between him and Baekhyun.

 

“Sehun. It’s me.” The person from the other side of the line was silent already, recognizing him just from his voice. “Chanyeol hyung? How did you get my number? Are you back?”

 

“Yes. I am. I need a favor. A big one.” A favor Chanyeol was desperate for, he would beg through this phone call if that’s what he needs to do. “I need to talk to Baekhyun. Please.”

 

“Why? You don’t have anything to talk about, hyung. Why are you even back? You promised three years ago, remember?”

 

“It’s a long story, just please. Sehun, please. Just this one time.”

 

“Hyung, just… let’s not do this. Baekhyun hyung is doing well on his own, he’s finally okay. Please just let him be.”

 

Chanyeol sighed, already hurting in his heart. “Sehun, I saw Baekhyun during the day of your wedding, and I-I saw Choon Hee, and we… we just need to talk. One last time.” Once he said that, he could feel the tension from the other side of the line.

“Just let me talk to him one on one.”

 

Sehun was silent for a few more minutes but Chanyeol could hear him thinking before agreeing. “Fi-fine, hyung. I’ll see what I can do.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Chanyeol was absentmindedly watching the city of Seoul as its citizens went about their lives from the window of his apartment after the call. He was still drinking his brandy and laughing like crazy with tears on his eyes. God, what did he just do?

He watched the city lights, the car horns that couldn't reach him because of how high he was up the building, all signs of how high he was in the echelons of society; and all of these didn’t matter.

As his grip on his glass got tighter, all he could think about was the regret engulfing his entire being now.

 

“How have you been, son? Three years of no contact whatsoever with your mother, what kind of child does that?”

Chanyeol smirked at her as his answer. Same old pretender, his mom was good at playing this game. “I didn’t know we were supposed to pretend to be a happy mother and son today. I didn’t get the memo mom, or should I call you Madam Chairman?”

Mrs. Park smirked in return, taking her wine glass and sipping her drink. Majestic and sophisticated, all fitting for the chairman of the biggest conglomerate in South Korea. “Where did you get all this courage? America did you good?”

“Yes, it actually did mother.” Chanyeol took a bite of his breakfast, meeting his mother’s eyes straight. Gone were the days that he would cower under her gaze. Not anymore. He took his time chewing his food, knowing it’s slowly pissing her off. Nobody brushed off the Madam Park even her own children. Especially her own children.

Chanyeol’s mother laughed in amusement, giving up and trying to rein in her anger at the new confidence her son was showing her. “Well, I’m glad you are okay. And that the branch in the US is thriving under your control. Sooner or later if you prove yourself worthy, I might hand this all over to you.”

“Can’t wait for that day to come,” he answered back. The two of them continued eating their breakfast, a cold atmosphere surrounding them. No warmth, no love, no affections, just like how it had always been at the Park mansion.

Mrs. Park cleared and Chanyeol put down his fork, drank his water, and waited for it. He knew something was coming for his mother to ask him to have breakfast with her. “Okay, what is it? Don’t beat around the bush, mom. We both know how busy you are running your empire.”

Mrs. Park wiped and smiled at her son. She opened and went straight to the point. No more dilly dallying. “You’re going to get married soon.”

Chanyeol wished he could say he was surprised, but he knew he was going to be next after his sister was married off for a business venture. He may have agreed to whatever his mother told him three years ago, but not this time. This time, he would stand his ground and say no.

 

“No. Not again, mom. You ruined my life once, and I won’t let you ruin it again.”

“That’s hardly ruining you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter