Chapter 3

Calls to Love

Mark and Jinyoung have been texting for more than half a year. They are always there for each other, and they both knew the other always had their backs. They also knew that the other would listen to anything they said without complaint. They supported each other in all of their decisions. 

They have never really fought beside some little petty ones. Whenever they did have those small fights, that were 'stupid' in Youngjae's opinion, they always made up over the phone. They never made up over text because they agreed it wasn't as meaningful. Mark was usually the one to apologize, though. He knew Jinyoung was very stubborn, but that's one of the things Mark liked about Jinyoung.   

Mark had realized his feelings for the other a month after Youngjae found out about him texting Jinyoung. He was grateful to the younger because he wouldn't know his true feelings without his help, but he was also very aggravated at his feelings. He didn't want to feel this emotion towards the actor. He didn't want to ruin what they already had, their friendship. 

It was one of those days where they were texting non-stop or calling for a long amount of time in the middle of the night. They both didn't have that busy of a schedule the next day, so they were going to risk it. 

"Mark...Can I ask you something important?" Jinyoung asked after they had talked already for a few hours. 

Mark's heart rapidly increased, "Sure."

"Umm...what do you do if you have a crush on someone?" Jinyoung asked hesitantly. 

Mark didn't speak for a moment trying to gather his thoughts. He has a crush? On who? Was it him? He mentally slapped himself for thinking such things. 

"I-I would probably confess," Mark said after a while. 

"Really?" Jinyoung asked hopefully. 

"Yeah...if you like them, don't let them get away." Mark was secretly hoping Jinyoung would say 'Mark, you're the one I have a crush on' but that was a 1/100 chance. 

"I guess so." He said.

"W-Who i-is it?" Mark asked carefully. He wasn't ready for the answer, but he wanted to be a good friend.

"Her name is Jisoo. She's a singer in the same company as you, I think. Do you know her?" Jinyoung asked. 

Mark's heart shattered. That little sliver of hope vanished, and his breathing got a little rapid. After he realizes he was keeping Jinyoung waiting, he took a shaky breath. 

"Uh...yeah...I-I know her." He managed to say. 

"Really? That's cool! I'll mention you to her!" Jinyoung said to Mark. "Can I have more advise?"

Mark nodded but then realized Jinyoung couldn't see him, "S-Sure."

"Well I have been texting her for a long time and I want to ask her on a date. Should I do it on the phone or should I do it in person?" 

Mark felt a tear roll down his cheek and he clumsily wiped it away with his hand, but more tears just coming. Was he texting her at the same time he was texting Mark? Was Mark just being a burden by texting him so much? Wasn't he just getting in the way of their relationship? He wanted to answer Jinyoung, but nothing could come out. Luckily, Youngjae walked into the room just at the right moment. 

Mark quickly held the phone out for Youngjae and practically begged him to take it. Once the younger took the phone, Mark collapsed on the bed and let the held back tears come out. He felt like a teenager with his first crush. He felt pathetic. 

"Hello? Mark are you there?" Mark could hear Jinyoung asked worriedly. 

"This is Youngjae, Mark's band member." Youngjae finally spoke up in a shaky voice. 

"Oh...hello. Why do you have Mark's phone?" Youngjae glanced at Mark on the bed. 

"U-um...He just handed me his phone and walked out of the room." Mark flinched at the harsh words and turned to glare at Youngjae. 

Mark couldn't hear anything over the phone for a while. That answer had probably hurt the actor, but Mark wasn't in the right state of mind to reassure him. 

"I-Is he okay?" He heard Jinyoung ask. 

"I don't know," Youngjae said in a sympathetic voice while making eye contact with Mark. 

"I'll tell him to call you back, okay." Youngjae finally said. 

"O-Okay."

"Bye."

"B-"

Youngjae had hung up before Jinyoung had finished what he was going to say, but the boy could care less. 

Mark felt the bed sink as Youngjae joined him on the bed. He felt a weight on his shoulder. "What happened?" Youngjae asked in a comforting voice.

"H-He likes someone else, Youngjae. He w-was asking advice on how to ask her out, and I just couldn't hold it in anymore. I felt like I couldn't breathe, Youngjae! I couldn't speak!" Mark still felt some tears rolling down his cheeks. His eyes burned from the tears, but that couldn't compare to the pain he was feeling mentally. 

"Am I overreacting?" Mark asked while looking up.

He felt Youngjae embrace him in a hug, "No, you aren't. You definitely aren't." He felt the other rub small circles onto his upper back as he hugged him. 

"I know this hurts, Mark. I know it does, but you need to be strong, okay. I'm right here by your side." 

 

**************

 

Jinyoung 

-Mark, are you okay?

 

-Did I say anything to offend you?

 

-Are you sick?

 

-Are you mad at me?

Read at 12:41 a.m.

 

Mark looked at the messages and felt his heart clench, and his stomach churned. He threw his phone against the wall out of the anger that had built up in his chest. He sat on the bed at grabbed at his hair.

'I don't think I can do this anymore. It hurts too much.'

 

**************

 

The next morning, Mark felt better. He felt more alive and fresher. He was ready to face Jinyoung again, and this time he wouldn't panic. He would listen to the younger. 

Mark walked over to his bedside table beside his bead to get his phone, but it wasn't there. Where did he put it? He walked around the room for a few moments looking for it while trying to think what he had done with it the night before. Then it hit him.

Mark walked over to the wall in his room and looked to the ground. He crouched down and picked up the shattered piece of garbage in his hands. This couldn't be fixed. It was gone. It was too messed up.

He set the leftover pieces of the phone of his desk and sat back down. 

 

'I just lost everything on my phone.'

 

'I just lost Jinyoung's number.'

 

'I probably just lost my friend.'