Second

Eternal Spring

Vernon answer the call way too quickly when he saw the id.

“Yes?”

“Oppa, I’m done.”

“Okay. Wait where I drop you, I’ll be there in sec.” Said Vernon, grabbing his key and jogs a little to his car.

He arrived shortly; the cafe was too close to the mall. He stops his car and looks for his wife. He saw her waving to a bunch of people and the look a guy gave Umji makes something stir in his heart.

Umji smiles as she enters the car and puts on her seatbelt. “Done?” He asks and she nods.

He press the gas pedal and his car runs at average speed. He glances at Umji who still has the same smile she wears earlier.

“Earlier.” He said and clears his throat when he senses Umji looking at him. “Your friends?”

Umji nods before answering. “Two of them are my college buddy while one is my childhood friend.”

“Who is the childhood friend? The one in yellow?”

“Aniyo. Changsub oppa is. You met him during our wedding. Remember?”

Vernon tried to remember but failed. Of course he can’t. He was busy staring at his bride then.

“Maybe I forget to introduce you to him. Sorry.”

“It’s okay.” He said, patting her hand as his heart throb a little. He quickly removed his hand after and clutch the steering wheel.

“Let’s go get dinner.” He said, after a while and Umji smiles again, answering with a clear yes.


+++


“Where are you going?”

Umji asked when her husband already had his hoodie and sweat pants on. He obviously is heading to the gym but she had to ask.

“Gym.” Comes his quick answer but he did turn to his wife who stands while her hands clasp together on her front.

“Do you want anything?”

“Can you drop me by the pharmacy?”

“Wae?” He asks; quickly went to her and puts his palm on her forehead. A frown formed on his face.

“Are you feeling unwell?”

“Aniyo.” She answers, stuttering. He took his hand away and fake a cough. He acts before he can think straight again.

“I have something to buy. Women thing.”

She said, voice slower as she ends her sentence. He nods, awkwardly rubs his hair when her cheeks redden.

“Okay. I’ll take you.”

He said and quickly went out to the living room. He heaves a breathing and shakes his head.

“I almost.”

He shakes his head again, feeling his heart beats faster than ever. Umji is dangerous. It’s more dangerous when they are in her room. The room smells good, and so does she.

“Oppa?”

“Deh?”

“I am ready.”

“Okay. Come.”

“Oppa kenchanayo?” she asks innocently, a hand touched his arm. Vernon shakes his head as his eyes linger on her hand that was on his arm.

“Neh. Kenchana.” He said, and Umji takes her hand off of him. Too quickly. Vernon sigh.

“Let’s.” He said and she follows him. Maybe, Vernon will have to lift weight at the gym today.


+++


Umji rubs her hand together as she blows at them. She smiles at the snow that falls slowly outside the window.

“Do you want to step out?” Vernon asks after he stares at her for a good time.

“Aniyo.” She answers and her voice turns out cute to his ears. As if it was a little girl speaking.

“You seem to be enjoying the snow a lot.” Umji nods, her eyes is on the snow again, sparkling like girls in manhwa.

“I love when it’s snowing.”

“It’s cold.” He said, sipping his hot coffee. He saw she smiles. “But I like it.”

Vernon smiles and sat near her. Offering her his coffee and she shakes her head.

“Do you want to take a bath oppa?” she asks suddenly that Vernon almost choke on his coffee. “Deh?” he asks after he compose himself but his tone shows his surprise.

“If you want to I will prepare the tub.” He finally get what she mean after she stand up with her hands clasps together on her front. Again, giving him the pose.

“I’ll just take a shower. It’s okay.”

“But taking your time in the tub is relaxing.”

“Who told you so?”

“Eomonim.”

She said quickly. A smile formed on her lips. Her mother in law state each and everything she should do as a wife. And one of it is this.

An idea suddenly popped in his mind so he asks his wife to sit by him.

“Tell me what else omma told you.”

Umji sat and smiles. “There is a lot.”

“You can share it with me.”

“Everything?” she asks and Vernon nodded.

“Eomonim told me I have to help you when you bath, scrub your back. And when you are done, help you prepare your clothes.”

Vernon chuckles at this. “What am I? A 3 year old?” he asks and Umji blink her eyes.

“Okay. What else that you need to do?”

“Wear perfume.” She said. “I wonder if I smell?” she sniff her self and Vernon laugh. Her moves closer to her and Umji has to hold her breathing. 

His lips is so close to touch her skin on her neck before he withdrew himself.

“You smell nice. So don’t worry.” He ruffles her hair and stands.

“Let’s go out in a hour time. I’ll take a shower first okay.” Umji smiles and nods. She smoothen her hair and went to pick her cloths. It’s her time to have a flutter of heart. She knows she was pampered. Way better when she was with her father.

“Thank you for this blessing.”

She thanked as she look up. Vernon, even though look indifferent but is loving. It shows in his action. But Umji did not let her hope goes up. He still is a man who marry her because of the parents choice.


+++


“How’s the food?”

“I’m not fond of sashimi.”

She said but smiles after. “But it’s nice here. There is no strong fishy smell.”

“I often go here when I manage our Japan branch. It’s nice.”

Umji nods, again, rubbing her hands together. Vernon saw her bare hands and holds them.

“Your gloves?” he asked and she shakes her head.

“I forget to bring them.” 

Vernon sighs. Umji is still clumsy. Maybe because she is so young.

“Wear mine.”

He said, making her wear his gloves despite her saying no.

“I don’t want you to fall sick. We need to enjoy our honeymoon right?”

“Deh?”

Vernon then keeps holding his wife’s hand and walks to their car. He plans to enjoy the honeymoon as well.

Teasing Umji is fun. She is too innocent and does what his mother told her to.

“Eomonim said I should wake you up slowly.”

She said on the second week of their marriage. He was surprised when he wake up one day, Umji was waking him with a whisper. It sounds so y that he took time to really wake up that day.

“Join me tonight?”

He asks and she tilts her head cutely. He pinches her pink cheek and holds her hand again.

“Aniya.” He said and help her get inside the car before running to the driver seat.