First

Eternal Spring

 


“I have to get married? I’m 19 father.”

“He is still 23 Yewon ah. Not too old. And it’s for the company sake.”

Her father left after he said what he needs to say and Umji feels her world turns upside down right at the moment. She sighs and slumped on her bed; cries on her palm.

“If only you are here mother.” She sobs but no one is going to tell her it’s okay.

 

+++

 

He stood there expressionless and after he receives the report; he dismissed the group.

“President needs you in his office.”

He gave his secretary a glance and put one of his hand in his pocket. He then walks to the elevator which will take him to the President floor.

“You need me abeoji?”

“Well son. I am. Sit.” The old man said as he sits on the couch, smiling when his one and only son sits near him.

“What is it about this time abeoji?”

The old man crinkle his eyes and a laughter erupted in the quiet room. He shakes his head, patting his son’s knee.

“You are mature enough to know that  I want to have a serious talk with you.”

He smiles a little; taking it as compliment.

“I don’t want you to feel burden but you do remember about our next project right?”

“That we have to work together with Kim Empire to strengthen our pillar? Of course I remember. I work hard for that since last 3 months.”

“Unfortunately, it wasn’t strong enough if we join forces because of our old friendship.”

“What do you mean abeoji? It’s a big loss if we don’t possess this project.”

“I know. And all of your hard work ever since you hold the CEO position will go vain.”

Vernon has that grim face and he stops radiating warmth. He is slowly getting angry just when his father spoke.

“There is a solution son.” He lifted his face and look at his father;  demanding. His father pulls the drawer beside him and handed him an envelope.

“This is The Kim’s only daughter. You are marrying her.”

“Arranged marriage?” He chuckles; putting the envelope on his lap. He doesn’t even care to see how his future wife look like.

“Fine.” He said; looking at his father. “I’ll marry her.”

“Thank you son.” The old man said; smiling sincerely.

 

+++


“You are meeting him tomorrow.” Said Mr. Kim, smiling at his daughter.

Umji nods briefly; taking the piece of paper her father was holding. “I’m meeting him here?”

“Yes. He is a busy man. You have to meet him in his company.” He added and she sighs; not feeling great with the place of their first meeting.

“Just go and meet him. You should see who are you going to get married to.”

With a pat on her head, Mr. Kim is on the phone again. Umji can just shakes her head.

“What can I do right?”


+++


Stepping into the company, she senses why her father was adamant with marrying her off to the heir of this company.

They aren’t lacking anywhere but if they merge, both will gain top position in their field and no one don’t want that to not happen.

She asks the front desk about how to go to the floor her future husband was in and was lead to the elevator by a friendly worker.

“I’m Seungkwan. I am the CEO secretary.”

“Ahh yeh. I’m Kim Yewon.”

“I know. I know about you.” The cheerful guy said and gives her a warm smile.

“This is the floor. You can go straight and his room is on the left.”

“Thank you Seungkwan ssi.”

“No problem.” He answers and walks back into the elevator and so Umji feels how nervous she is right now. Her hands start shaking and she heaves a breath to steady her heart beat.

She went to the room that Seungkwan asks her to and knock on the door.

“Come in.” Come a manly voice and she feels the need to swallow as she open the door. She thought that she will be welcome at the enthusiastic way Seungkwan was acting but no. All she get is a “sit down.”

She went to sit in front of him; way too careful while he was checking on a report as it seems to her. She stayed there quietly until he finally finished checking.

“You are?” He asks when he finally look at her with a crease on his forehead.

“Kim Yewon.” She softly answers and she saw how he was taken aback. He then stands and straighten his suits before bowing.

“My apology. I am acting carelessly.” With that, Umji too stands up and quickly waves her hands; gesturing that it’s okay.

“Let me introduce myself properly then. I’m Hansol.”

“I’m Yewon.” She replied, a smile on her face.

“Are you okay with this marriage?” He asks and she nodded.

“Father wants it.”

“You?” he asked with a crooked of his mouth and she simply nods.

“Good.” And only now a relief smile ghost on his lips. His project will go on smoothly now.

“Let’s talk with a cup of coffee?”

“Neh.”


+++


“She doesn’t seem like she is 19.”

“But she is sir.” Seungkwan pushes a file to him and Hansol nodded.

“I know. I read them.” He sighs; leaning on his chair.

“How is the preparation going?”

“Everything is going smoothly. You just have to pick the theme.”

“It’s okay. I will just let Yewon ssi choose.”

“Very well sir.”

“And Seungkwan.”

“Yes sir?”

“I’m going home today so make sure no last minute appointment. Cancel even if it’s important.”

“I will sir.”

“Thank you.” He said; dismissing his loyal secretary.

“Now shall we look at you.” He murmurs as he turns a page of Umji’s profile. His lips curl a smile.


+++

 

A day more and Umji will be someone’s wife. She looks at the wedding gown. It’s lavish and elegant but nothing stirs her heart.

“You are supposed to smile.” Come a voice and she did smile, giving her friend a glance.

“Do you feel sad Yewon ah?”

“It’s not that.” She sighs.

“I am just not prepare for this.”

“Ara.” Sinbi replied rubbing Umji’s back.

“All of these is too sudden.” Sinbi said and the smaller nods.

“But you said he is fine.”

“He is. But he is still a stranger.”

“Yeah. You need time to socialize.”

“And I have to follow him to parties and annual dinners. How can I?”

“You can girl. Just put your heart in it.”

Umji sighs again, lifelessly staring at space. Sinbi can just pity her friend. She too can’t do anything.

“Sleep.” Umji said smiling before she lie down on her bed.

Sinbi copied the bride to be and sleep; wishing that her friend will be able to walk on flowery path.


+++


She let the veil falls down in front of her face and holds the fresh white roses bouquet. A fake smile ghost on her lips.

Everyone present today is happy for them, though some doesn’t. Sinbi smiles assuring before she stands behind her, helping with her dress. Umji held her father’s hand; still as cold as she remember.

The music started and she saw a group of musician playing their instrument.

“Lovely.” She thought in her mind, remember how she loves watching wedding ceremony and dresses when she is younger.

“I am going to get married to a prince charming!” she once said to herself but today she doesn’t do any of what she had planned.

“Yewon.”

She heard her father called her and she look at him. When she realized that they arrived at the altar where her future husband was standing, she knows her mind was elsewhere.

“I’ll take her from here abeonim.”

That voice is so masculine that Umji somehow feel safe. “His hand is warm.”

She thought, looking at how he was holding her hand securely in his.

“Now shall we start the ceremony?”

Umji look at the priest and Vernon one after another and she nods a little. She chose this. She choose him.

“Will you take him as your husband?”

“Yes.”

She answers after three seconds and soon after her veil was out of her face. “Pretty.” She heard him mutters before he leans close to her and kisses her.

“Congratulation on your wedding.”

Vernon said after that and Umji blinks her eyes. “You too.” She said, and both look at each other; Vernon checking her out and Umji was nervous.

“Thank you for marrying me.”

He added and Umji’s heart flutters. “This will go well right?” she thought and keep smiling when he holds her hand.

“Let me introduce you to the family?” Umji nodded again and saw Sinbi smiling at her. She looks at her husband who looks dependable and she thank God.

“Maybe this is going to be fine.”


+++


“You will be taking that room.”

Vernon said as they arrived in his apartment.

Umji was taken aback. “Different room?” she thought and saw him brought his things into another room.

“We haven’t known each other so I’m giving you space.” He smiled and she too smiled. “Neh oppa.”

She shortly answers and Vernon chuckles. “Oppa?” he asked and she had that nervous expression. “Did I cross any line?” 

That makes Vernon laughs. “No.” He said. “Call me that. That sounds good.” He nodded and finally his hand is out of his pocket. “Are you hungry?”

She shakes her head. “Okay.” He said. “I have few things to do so make yourself at home?”

“Okay oppa.” She answer and pulls her luggage with her but he beats her to that. He took the luggage and places them beside the closet.

“The honeymoon.” He said and she stiffen. “Neh?” she asked and he nodded. “Do you have any place you want to go?”

Umji shakes her head. “I’m fine with no honeymoon.” She manages to said that. Of course honeymoon will only makes things awkward. They are not even in love with each other.

“We should at least go somewhere. Abeoji will insist us on going on honeymoon.”

“I will let you do the decision oppa.” She said after few moment. She saw him nodding again. “You are going to work as you study?”

He asked and she nodded. “Father had only me to take over the company.” She added and he nods; again.

“I will be fine about that. Now that we had merge, the work will doubled.”

Vernon said as he loosens his tie. Being too long in a small space with his bride makes him feel hot for reason. “You can quit if you feel it is tiring.”

“I will if you want me to.”

She said but he quickly waves his hand. “No. That’s not what I mean.” He chuckles. “I’m not the typical husband who wants to be served all the time.” He smiles now.

“We can share the chores.”

“But I can do the chores. I was trained.” She added and he crooked his mouth. “Trained?” she nods.

“So leave the cleaning and cooking to me.” She said, almost pleading and so Vernon agreed.

“We’ll do grocery shopping tomorrow. Now have a shower and rest okay.”

He holds her shoulder and squeeze them before leaving her room; didn’t forget to close the door.

“Something is not right.”

He mumbles and tosses his tie and shirt in the laundry basket in his room.

“Let’s get to work.”

 

+++


He wakes up to a wonderful smell and Vernon unconsciously smile.

“Is this why people got married?” he mumbles as he pushes his blanket and wears his slippers. Yawning, he went to the kitchen and saw his little bride oh so busy in there.

“Do you want any help?”

Umji obviously startled by the question that she accidentally drops a spoon. Eyes widening, she almost shiver when he leans down to pick the spoon up.

“Morning Yewon.”

He greeted with a smile and she stutters a reply. His smile lingers and he looks at the table.

“At what time did you wake up?”

“5.” She answers softly. “I went to the nearest market, leaving a sticky note there.”

Vernon look at the fridge and nods.

“I am a light sleeper but I couldn’t hear anything which means you do things really quietly.”

Umji rolls the hem of her apron with her finger as she look down; similar to how a student did when she was scolded. Vernon holds her shoulder, pats them.

“Thank you for your effort. I’ll eat deliciously.” That sure brings Umji to smile.

“Do you like coffee or?”

“Coffee will be nice. Come and eat together.” He said, sitting on the chair and saw how she awkwardly moves.

“Yewon.” He called and she turns almost quickly. He sighs.

“Remember who you are?” Umji frown; couldn’t get what he meant. Vernon puts his spoon down again, signalling her to come and sit with him.

She places the coffee near him and sat down. Her movement are strained. He saw all that and click his tongue.

“Let’s do this. We should talk with each other okay. On what you think and what we go through daily.”

“Neh oppa.”

“And please don’t work too hard. You work since what? 5?”

She nods a little. “Let’s eat first.” He puts his rice in front of her and stood up, stopping her when she tries to work again.

“I’ll get mine and we’ll eat together.”

Umji nods and they silently eat their first meal together.

 

+++


“Japan should be okay.”

Vernon ended the call and saw Umji who was pacing on the balcony. He went to her; taking his newspaper with him and sat on the chair.

He eyes his wife that he just married 6 days ago and starts reading the paper.

“Oppa, can I go out with my friend?”

She asks after hesitating for a while. Vernon looks up from the newspaper and nods at his wife.

“Go. It doesn’t matter with me.”

Umji smiles and thanked him before she turns around and walks to her room. He puts down the newspaper and change his outfit too. Umji looks at him and crooked .

“I’m sending you.”

“Aniyo oppa. Kenchana. I can go on my own.”

“It’s okay.” He said, pulling a T-shirt from the closet. Umji nods. What else can she do? She puts on a sling bag and waited for him who was scrolling on his phone.

“Where is the place?”

“J Mall.” She said simply and he replied with a nod and walks ahead to the door. Umji makes sure she locks them before placing the keys inside her bag and walks behind Vernon.

She smiles at his back that look so dependable and she thank God that he actually wants to send her.

“Call me when you are done.”

“But my friend can send me.”

“I’ll fetch you. We’ll have dinner out.”

“But I won’t be long.” She said and he silence her while placing his finger on .

“Go and have fun. Call me when you are done.”

“Neh. Thank you, oppa.”

Vernon pats her hair and gestures her to go out. He look at her and make sure she is safe before he drove to the nearest cafe.

“Its bored without a wife in the house.”

He mumbles and chuckles after. “She is small but a dangerous one. You, be still.” He said as he patted his chest.