Chapter 5

Girl in the Mirror

A/n: sorry for the wait guys;;;; The previous chapter ends with Sana and Tzuyu exploring the house and Jihyo going off to make hot chocolate

 

And so half an hour later, they are all gathered around in the living room with cocoa mugs.

Sana puts up hers and Tzuyu’s findings.

“So there is, ahem, a spirit in the house.”

“Damn straight,” Jeongyeon says.

Momo knew she should’ve been expecting this, but she still gulps at the confirmation. Her hand inches its way towards Dahyun’s.

“How sure are you?” Nayeon asks just to be sure herself.

“I’d say, 85 percent? The other 25 percent probability would go to multiple spirits coming in and out. You know, instead of just one spirit dominating the house,” Sana says.

“Multiple spirits… no thanks,” Jeongyeon mumbles.

“Yeah, ‘cause there sure are traces left by astral beings. Singular or plural. They’re just too strong, and all our evidences happen to point to it being just one main spirit. Who is, I presume, who Chaeyoung happened to see.”

“Yikes.”

“But the strange thing is, spirits don’t usually show themselves in front of humans. That’s like, really really rare. Despite what horror movies suggest.”

“Okay…” Jihyo wonders where this is going.

“And this spirit doesn’t seem to be an evil one either, because if it has any bad intentions, one night would have been enough to do whatever it wanted,” Sana explains. “To be honest, most spirits are harmless. This one sounds like the type to hang around the house long after its body has died, and can’t move on from the house and its past life for whatever reason. This kind is mostly harmless. Just lost. You guys said you all heard a crash, though?”

“Yeah, around seven pm last night. It came from upstairs, probably DahMo’s room,” Jeongyeon tells Sana.

“Yup, which might mean that it wants to rile up you guys. Pull your leg a bit. Joke around. It’s like, you know, spirits having fun in their own way,” Sana laughs. “‘Cause I’m sure it gets boring in the astral world.”

The others gape at her. It’s like she’s talking about the weather, not freaking ghosts, and to top it all, she laughs.

“Or,” Tzuyu starts, “Maybe it really is an evil spirit and just wants to do things the slow way. Rile you up first and then go for the attack. Although I don’t really see the reason, like Sana unnie said. It’s very unlikely.”

“A-attack?”

It’s Nayeon who voices what’s on all their minds.

Chaeyoung is certain she’s not breathing anymore. Her entire face is literally buried in Jihyo’s arm.

“But that’s highly unlikely. So don’t worry just yet. We’ll just wait a few more nights and see.”

“What if we all die in our sleep?!” Jeongyeon’s voice cracks at the end.

“I know, like tonight!” Nayeon is no better.

Jihyo inputs her own concern, “It’s not safe. Oh my god-”

“Relax guys, relax. We’re here, right? We’ll do some charms so your safety’s ensured,” Sana smiles reassuringly at the others and squeezes their hands. Tzuyu nods in agreement. Sana continues, “And believe me, I’m ninety percent certain it’s not an evil spirit. Just a bored one. The only thing, I mean, the only, only thing, that doesn’t make sense is why it appeared in front of Chaeyoung. That’s all.”

Everybody turns to Chaeyoung.

“Maybe it likes her,” Nayeon says.

“Huh??!” This is about the only sound Chaeyoung can make at this point.

Tzuyu turns to Jihyo, “Unnie, you spoke with the landlord, right? Didn’t he say anything?”

Jihyo shakes her head.

“Nope… nothing at all. And, I knew the previous tenants, too. They’re our seniors, they lived here for a whole year and didn’t have any problem with the house other than the fact that’s it’s very old and creaky. Apparently, it’s always been students at our college living in this house, since about ten years ago.”

“See, I think you guys are freaking out over nothing. There’s nothing to really worry about,” Sana’s pretty certain on this. “Tzuyu and I will do more research. After that, we can exorcise the spirit.”

“I’m scared to look in mirrors now,” Dahyun finally speaks.

“Omg, me too,” Momo shudders.

“Don’t you guys have like an Ouija board or something?” Nayeon asks, “Some way you can contact the spirit?”

Sana looks at Tzuyu. Who looks back at Sana. They nod to each other.

Jeongyeon raises her brow at the strange exchange.

“Yes, we were actually going to do that. But the thing is, we need all of your permission to summon the spirit and talk with it. And all of us should be mentally prepared.”

“Of course we can give you permission,” Jihyo has had enough. “As for mental preparation, let’s stay strong, guys.”

“All of you?”

“Um… will anything bad happen ‘cause of it?” Chaeyoung asks in a small voice. “Like, will the spirit come here screaming in front of our eyes or something?”

“Mom…” Momo is hidden half behind Dahyun and half behind her hand.

“Nah,” Tzuyu shakes her head, “We just talk with it, ask questions and stuff.”

“Then, I’m okay, I guess,” Nayeon turns to the others. “We’re all okay, right?”

One by one, they all nod.

Tzuyu gets up, goes to bring the Ouija board from her the mini travel bag she had brought with her.

They tighten their semi circle. Sana, Nayeon, Chaeyoung and Jihyo sit on the sofa. Momo, Dahyun and Jeongyeon hold hands on the floor. Tzuyu sits on the battered armchair.

Sana and Tzuyu set everything up. The others watch.