Chapter 1

Girl in the Mirror

 

 

“Yah Im Nayeon! Carry your own bags! I’m not some sort of !”

“But Jeongyeoooon...”

“But what?”

“I’ll pay you.”

Jeongyeon shoots up. She’s suddenly very attentive.

Nayeon grins. She steps towards her, “With my body!”

“EW!!!!”

Jengyeon chases Nayeon down the block.

“Ugh. So in the end, I’m the one who ends up carrying all of it,” Jihyo rolls her eyes and drags Nayeon’s heavy purple suitcase inside.

Momo marches to the doorstep, “Jihyoo I’m eating some chocolate do you want some!!!”

“Momo, we have to unpack and sort out this mess first, this is not a time to be eating!”

“I love chocolate, thanks,” Dahyun snags Momo’s chocolate bar right from her hand.

“Hey!!”

They proceed to fight each other over the chocolate.

Jihyo is so done.

“Chaeng, I only have you.”

Chaeyoung pauses between dragging her bags to salute to Jihyo.

This is how their first hour at their new house unfolded.

🏠

 

“Oh my god, I think my back is going to kill me,” Jihyo is so damn tired after a day of moving in.

“It’s at times like this when I wish Sana was here to give a good massage,” says Nayeon.

Jihyo throws a cushion at her. “You! What did you to deserve a massage?!”

“Hey don’t be mean! I helped out with the... um…”

Jihyo rolls her eyes.

“It’s scary you know, when you roll your eyes. Because your eyes are so big,” Momo solemnly remarks between chomping down on a potato chip.

“Your eyes are big too,” Jihyo points out.

“You know what’s real scary?” Jeongyeon says to Momo, “When you eat and eat and never gain weight!”

“It’s ‘cause I work out.”

Dahyun suddenly stands on her chair and starts ing her hips, “I-I-I I work out.” She proceeds to sing, “Girl look at that body, girl-“

“Get off that chair, if it breaks down under your weight I’m not gonna be the one fixing it,” Jihyo says.

Dahyun gasps, “Are you implying that I’m heavy?!” The shock on her face exaggerates until she’s got everyone laughing.

“I’m implying that you’re slightly insane and that the armchair and everything else in this house is freaking ancient so you better pay up if you break anything because I sure as heck am not going to!””

Jihyo pants.

“Wow.”

“That was long.”

A potato chip falls from Momo’s mouth.

Chaeyoung just smiles. She’s used to her friends’ antics. After two years in college with them constantly shoving themselves into her otherwise peaceful life, what else can she do?

She flops down on Nayeon’s lap and stretches out her aching limbs across the sofa.

“You’re like a cat,” Nayeon pokes her ribs.

Jihyo guesses what’s about to come next. She hurriedly tells Dahyun, “No, please don’t start singing the song--“

“Sappunsappun dadada-,” Dahyun dances to ‘Like a cat’ on top of the armchair. Chaeyoung, Momo and Nayeon laugh at her.

“Why do I bother with you,” Jihyo massages her temples. Jeonyeon gives her a comforting pat.

“Want some chips?” Momo offers Jihyo.

“No.”

“Okay then,” she turns to watch Dahyun.

Dahyun proceeds the mini showdown. Aoa are her baes after all!

From where she’s lying on her lap, Chaeyoung notices Nayeon’s question beginning to form on her face before she hears it.

“Hey guys. Since this house is really old and all, do you think there may be ghosts?”

Dahyun stops midstep.

“Mommy save me!” Momo hides behind Jihyo.

“Now I’m your mommy too? You’re older than me, unnie..."

Dahyun frowns at the skinship between the two. She jumps from the armchair straight onto the sofa where the others are lounging at. She goes flying like a… well, cat.

“I’m scared too!” She drapes herself over Jihyo and Momo.

“Ow ow ow get off of me you pig!”

Dahyun promptly meets the floor, courtesy of Jihyo.

“I’m serious guys! Will you stop fooling around for once!” Nayeon complains.

“Says the queen of fooling around.” Chaeyoung feigns innocence when Nayeon glares at her. Tries to glare, rather, because Nayeon can never look intimidating.

“Who believes ghosts in this day and age? I mean- ghosts, seriously?” Jeongyeon scoffs.

“… yeah, seriously,” Nayeon knows that usually, old houses have ghosts or ghost stories attached to them. Somebody could have died!

“Did you ask the landlord?” Momo asks in a small voice. All eyes turn to Jihyo...

...who gulps. “Um, no, it didn’t cross my mind, honestly.”

Everybody groans.

“Relax, guys. We shouldn’t assume things and get all wound up just because the house is old.” Dahyun turns sage at the strangest moments.

Momo joins her on the floor to hold her hand, at which Dahyun blushes. Chaeyoung notices this all, right before a crash resonates on the floor above them.

It’s silent between them for a heartbeat. And then everyone screams.