Chapter 2

Girl in the Mirror

A few minutes had passed since there was a crash upstairs. It was silent after that, but nobody moved an inch from their spot...

Chaeyoung is clinging to Nayeon who is clinging to Jeongyeon and Jihyo. On the floor, Dahyun is clinging to Momo who is clinging to her bag of chips.

Momo mutters, “I’m scared mom I’m scared mom I’m scared mom I’m scared mom mooooomm I’m scared!”

“Your mom’s not here Momo but heck I’m scared too!” Jeongyeon says.

“I don’t wanna live here anymoreeeeuhuhuhuhu,” Chaeyoung also cries, but mostly to herself.

“I left my new lingerie set open in my bedroom upstairs what if the ghost steals it!!!”

“Nayeon unnie, I don’t think you should worry about that, you should worry about sleeping in your bedroom upstairs!” Chaeyoung points out the obvious.

“OH MY GOD Chaenggie can I sleep with you tonight??”

“EW NO-”

“Ewww they’re having s**!”

“S**?!”

“Did someone say s**-”

“NO I MEANT CAN I SHARE YOUR BEDROOM NOT SLEEP WITH YOU I DON’T LIKE YOU THAT WAY, IM JUST SCARED OF THE GHOST!”

Nayeon pants.

“Oh.” Everyone catches their breaths.

It’s Jeongyeon who breaks the silence, “But ghosts can travel between walls right? So they should be able to travel between floors too, right?”

“Mom!!”

“So even Chaeng’s room downstairs is not safe…”

Chaeyoung curls herself into a ball. She doesn’t need this right now!

“Guys,” Jihyo’s eyes have widened to a record size. “What if… the ghost is in this room right now? Looking at us.”

Chaos erupt.

 

🏠

 

“Okay, are you sure we’re going to do this?”

“Yes. On the count of three.”

“Can someone else come to the front?” Jeongyeon suddenly regrets her position on the line.

“No, it’s too late now," Dahyun shakes her head. No way in hell is she going to the front, because she's just behind Jeongyeon. "We are right behind you and Jihyo.”

“Nobody run away!” Jeongyeon threatens.

“Or you won’t get any of my lasagne ever,” Jihyo adds.

“Jihyo, I love your lasagne.”

“Good, Momo, so don’t run off halfway.”

“Okay…”

“Okay, everyone ready”

“I’ve been ready for the past five minutes, can we cut to it already,” Nayeon says from the back.

“Okay okay.”

“On the count of three.”

“One-”

“Two-”

“Two point five-”

“Aish!”

“Two point six five-”

“Get over it!”

“Wai-”

“Three!”

“No!”

They fling the staircase door open. Nothing happens.

“Alright, now the hardest part,” Jeongyeon says.

“Let’s go up one step at a time. Everyone together,” Jihyo says.

“Same rules as before,” Jeongyeon adds.

“Why does the staircase suddenly look so creepy…?” Chaeyoung voices what's on her mind.

Momo agrees, “I know right.”

Jeongyeon turns, “Imagine a ghost standing at the very top, looking down at all of us.”

Their screams unite. “Jeongyeon!!!!”

“Sorry sorry, let’s go.”

“Ugh, mom…”

“Can we go a bit faster?”

“Nayeon!” They yell at her.

“Nayeon’s right, let’s go a bit faster,” Jihyo says.

“Ugh.”

Step.

Step.

Step.

“Okay, we’re here,” Jihyo says.

“Thank God there are no doors.”

“Step carefully”

The floor creaks.

Jeongyeon jumps, “Gosh, that scared me.”

The floor creaks more. Incidentally, with every step each of them takes. Which is a lot.

“Okay, there’s nothing here. Even if there was, it would have run off with all of the noise,” Jihyo runs a hand through her hair.

Dahyun is confused, “Where did the crash come from, though?”

Everyone looks at each other.

Chaeyoung thinks hard. “We were sitting on the living room sofa, and the sound came from right above our heads. So it should be…” she turns a bit to her left.

She draws an imaginary line that goes straight to Dahyun and Momo’s shared room.

“There,” She points.

“Dubuu!”

“Momoring!”

They cling to each other.

“At least Momo didn’t say mom,” Jihyo laughs.

“Is this a laughing situation to unnie?!” Dahyun feels so attacked right now.

“Chill. Alright, let’s open that door and see.”

They all slowly inch their way along the corridor.

“Who’s gonna open it?” Dahyun asks.

"Same as last time," Nayeon says, "Jihyo and Jeong."

“F*** I’m not going in front this time!” Jeongyeon goes behind Jihyo.

“Fine I’ll just do it.” Jihyo gathers all her courage.

Each movement feels like it takes a minute as Jihyo turns the door handle.

The door creaks open inch by inch.

Six pairs of curious eyes peek inside.

Clothes strewn over an unmade bed, hundreds of plastic bags and catalogues littering the floor, luggage and suitcases wide open, curtain-less windows, too much deodorant hanging in the air.

Nothing unusual.

“So what was the crash from?”

Nobody could answer Nayeon.