Part 1

Don't Go Breaking My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Two months had passed and everything went almost back to normal. Seulgi didn’t want to escalate things further so she told her parents that she had just tripped over on her way back from school. The incident had happened outside of school grounds anyway, so there wasn’t much she could do about it.

 

She still attended the same school every day and still saw her same friends every day. She stopped going to her piano academy after school, though, despite her teacher’s pleads. Her teacher said she could still practice with her left hand and eventually she’d be able to start working on her right hand again. However, she had already missed a few competitions and she’d still have to miss a few more before her hand was in decent conditions, the season was over for her before it even started. She felt lost and frustrated, trying to make sense of her situation.

 

Seulgi could tell that her family and friends were worried about her, worried that she’d sink into depression or be consumed by anger. She tried to let everyone know that she’d be eventually be OK. Like that day for example, she had taken Moonbyul’s sister offer. She was walking to Hanbyul’s studio on a sunny Saturday morning, way too early for her liking for any physical activity. At least she was trying, she really was.

 

Moonbyul’s sister, Hanbyul, had a small studio where she taught Taekwondo. She was very popular in the area and she generally held group sessions, but her mornings were reserved for wealthier clients who could afford personal lessons. Hanbyul had asked her to come on repeated occasions because she thought that her 7 AM client needed someone as her sparring partner so Hanbyul could focus on her client’s movements better. Hanbyul generally advised coming in pairs for personal lessons, having someone on a similar level would accelerate improvement according to her, but her current client didn’t want to invite any relatives or friends.

 

Seulgi’s hand was pretty much healed and Hanbyul had promised they’d only be practicing kicks anyway, so Seulgi decided to show up at the studio on that Saturday morning. It’s not like she had anything better to do.

 

Hanbyul greeted her cheerfully when she entered the room.

 

“Here,” Hanbyul said, handing her a brand new dobok, just her size. “Take it as a late birthday present.”

 

“No way, I can’t,” replied Seulgi, looking for a price tag anywhere.

 

“Just take it, I’m the one dragging you all the way here on a Saturday morning after all. Come on, you know I won’t take no for an answer,” warned her Hanbyul.

 

Seulgi sighed in defeat, she knew Hanbyul was twice as stubborn as Moonbyul. “Free lessons and free gear. You’re spoiling me.”

 

Hanbyul laughed. “Just go change quickly, my client should be here any minute.”

 

— — —

 

“She’s about your age and she’s a beginner just like you,” Seulgi heard Hanbyul say to someone as she walked back to the main salon, wearing her brand new white dobok.

 

“Oh, Seulgi, come introduce yourself,” said Hanbyul as she saw Seulgi approaching.

 

Seulgi walked slowly, shyness seeping in at the thought of introducing herself to a stranger. She was mentally attempting to come up with a coherent introduction when she finally saw the other person’s face. All of her movements halted abruptly, on instinct. Her eyes became wide in fear and anger, she gulped loudly trying to dissipate the bitter taste forcing its way to .

 

This time, unlike during their previous encounter, she was able to find her voice rather quickly. Seulgi was smart like that, she always learned from her mistakes. “I’m sorry Hanbyul. I can’t train, I can’t train with her. I’ll give you back the dobok later,” Seulg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter